PDA

View Full Version : Where does the algae come from in new tank?

goblin072
08-22-2007, 10:14 AM
This may sound stupid but where does the red, green and other marine algae come from in a tank.

1. Is it on the fish you buy
2. Is it in the salt mix

I know its a sign of a normal tank but its not like you run out and buy ALge seeds for your marine tank. It sort of just pops up on its own.

Some of the reds actually look pretty decent in small quantities.

I'm guessing its on the fish. So with each fish you not only get the fish but also the needed bacteria for Ammonia/nitrite reduction plus a few types of algae. Sometimes some ICH to boot.

pearsonhurst
08-22-2007, 11:36 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say it's dormant in/on the LR until conditions are suitable. There are also airborne spores, although I don't know if that covers marine algae as well as FW.

Small Fry
08-22-2007, 02:49 PM
I would definitely agree with pearson on this, that it leaves spores, or hidden patches on the LR you buy. As well, it could be in the air and it couold also be on the fish you buy, like you said goblin.

Russel P
08-22-2007, 05:58 PM
It seems certain there would be traces on any live rock. I think perhaps his question is how does algae grow in a new, empty tank? I can state from experience that a brand new tank with no life, just water and salt will grow brown diatoms. I'm sure if you add a fish or other specimen, there's some algae spores in the water it's bagged with.
Was it Pascal that had to put rotting meat into a jar covered with cheese cloth to prove spontaneous life didn't exist?

pearsonhurst
08-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Louis Pasteur.

Russel P
08-22-2007, 06:57 PM
:up: Check out the big brain on Pearson!

pearsonhurst
08-22-2007, 07:02 PM
I wonder if diatoms have a dormant state? Possibly they come in the sand? Other algae for that matter as well. Since it's dredged from the ocean, I wonder if it's just dormant waiting on good water, light and food?

goblin072
08-22-2007, 09:38 PM
I don't have live rock but It may have been in the sand.

I will find out when I set up my hospital tank. I will have no live rock or sand. Just fish.
Curious to see if I get marine type algae growing.

R. Deschain
08-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Many life forms exist in different forms throughout their life cycle, including forms that will allow them to persist through tough environmental times (like being put in a box and shipped half way around the world)

A quick google search of "life cycle of marine algae" turned up these things that might be helpful:

Here a link (http://www.aussiealgae.org/lifeCycle.php) to an example of the red algae life cycle.

Also, here's a short book chapter (http://www.amscopub.com/images/file/File_142.pdf) on algae.

HTH :)

goblin072
08-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the links!

The spores were probably in the live sand I used when I set up the tank.

I'll see if any get introduced by fish in my newly setup system.

I assume that most types of marine algae are a good healthy thing for a tank YES?

CarmieJo
08-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Algae exports nutrients like nitrate or phosphate and that is good. But some like HA can overgrow corals and that is not good. Algae is part of the cycle of any tank and you are going to have to battle some of it. The key is to not introduce too many nutrients into your tank in order to avoid nuisance algae.