PDA

View Full Version : Stocking a 36 gallon

texasfootball21
08-20-2007, 10:09 PM
I am considering setting up a 36 gallon as a tank with only fish, inverts, live rock. No coral.

I was wondering what all would comfortably fit in a tank this size.

First Idea (Probably way too much, please comment)
1X Occelaris Clown
3X Neon Goby
1X Fire fish
3X Chromis
Many small hermits and snails
Fire Shrimp
Emerald Crab (later on when tank is more established)

Second Idea
1X Black Clown (can't think of name...)
1X Fire Fish
1X Neon Goby
Small hermits and crabs
Fire shrimp
Emerald Crab

Please comment and tell me what you think would be a good combination for a tank a 36 gallon corner tank! Thanks!

Larry Copperband
08-20-2007, 10:25 PM
I like your second idea.Fire shrimp hide....alot.
Your first idea is good too,minus the chromis.Maybe one.They get big,and if you end up with 2 males and one female,well, let's just say 3's a crowd.

R. Deschain
08-20-2007, 11:17 PM
Seems alright to me...

Black clown = Onyx clown maybe

CarmieJo
08-21-2007, 08:03 AM
When I just had 1 chromis in my 54 he seemed unhappy and hid all the time. Then they proceeded to kill one another until only one was left. When that one died I didn't replace it. My nano came with a percula (or ocellaris) and a chromis and this one seems happy by itself.

You might consider a sixline wrasse. I like mine a lot. It swims in and out of the rocks all day long and is very fun to watch.

texasfootball21
08-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks for your comments!
I think a sixline wrasse looks like a great option, but don't they kill inverts? I have read that they will hunt crabs and things like that.

texasfootball21
08-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the comments!

I really like clownfish, if I have lots of hiding spots will it still be too hard to mix a black and a occelaris clown?

Okay, how about these:

Third Option (Probably a bit crowded)
2X Young Occelaris Clowns (Possibly to mate them later on, maybe not)
1X Sixline Wrasse
1X Firefish
1X Neon Goby
Hermits and Snails
Cleaner Shrimp
Emerald Crab

Fourth Option
1X Black or Occelaris Clown
1X Sixline Wrasse
1X Firefish
1X Neon Goby
Hermits and snails
Cleaner Shrimp
Peppermint shrimp (I would like to have one in the tank in case of aptasia)

Please comment on the combinations, and feel free to make your own combinations and post them!
Thanks!

Small Fry
08-21-2007, 12:51 PM
I'd definitely stick with the pair of occelaris clowns. IMHO, they add their own distinct personality to any tank they inhabit. Sixline is also a great fish to have and watch. I would have one in a second for the way they weave in and out fo the rock-work, but they will kill mandarins; my fave fish. Firefish are very nice fish, but beware, these fish are pretty imfamous for their carpet diving skill, as they can and will fins any hole in your tank and jump through it. Don't know what they think is on the other side, but it happens... If a neon goby is your thing then go for. As gobies go, you can probably go with any small-medium size goby in that tank, dont feel you must limit yourself to a neon. Everything else sounds great, make sure you go for a pair of cleaners (im assuming you mean skunk), they will not only add to the health of some of your inhabitants, but they will add to the personality of your tank.

I would take the "third option" if i were you, and give a GREAT deal of consideration to the firefish. And if you decide to go with one, ensure that the tank has a hood on it, with no holes to the outside world. Many reccomend a cover for the tank, but this will cut back on gas exchange. So a hood with no holes or anything near the bottom will perform the same option (ensure there are no shelves or anythin on it).

I also think that the peppermint is a good idea, even though i have two in my 120, and my aptasia has not dissapeared, they still can't hurt a system IMO

My one biggest piece of advice to you at this point is not to look @ how much you can put into your 36 gallon and live. But how much you can put into you 36 gallon, and THRIVE. A light bioload will make tank maintanence a tad easier, as well as keep tank params lower.

CarmieJo
08-21-2007, 08:29 PM
A sixline will hunt worms and pods and possibly micro brittlestars but they won't bother anything else. I disagree with Josh that they will kill mandarins. What they will do is compete with mandarins for pods. Sixlines readily take prepared foods but really enjoy a yummy pod snack. Some mandarins never take prepared foods and will only eat pods.

I've had my firefish for well over a year. I use my glass top so I've never had jumping problems. It does hide a lot but is cool because when he is startled he can swim across the tank in a flash! It is like he can teleport!

Larry Copperband
08-21-2007, 08:35 PM
What about a Jawfish? Anyone had any success with them in a 30+ tank?

texasfootball21
08-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks a lot for all the comments they are greatly appreciated

keep them coming!

texasfootball21
08-21-2007, 09:55 PM
How about this:

Fifth Option (Crowded)
2X Young Occelaris Clowns
1X Sixline Wrasse
3X Neon Goby
1X Yasha Goby
1X Pistol Shrimp
Hermits and snails
2X Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Sixth Option
Is this at all possible, I imagine not...
1X Young Occelaris Clown
1X Young Black Clown
1X Pistol Shrimp
1X Yasha Goby
Hermits and snails

Seventh Option
2X Young Occelaris Clowns
1X Royal Gramma
1X Sixline Wrasse
Hermits and snails

Thanks for all the comments and please keep them coming, I would love more people to post what combination they would pick! Thanks!

CarmieJo
08-21-2007, 10:10 PM
I think that you may have trouble with a pistol shrimp and cleaner shrimp in the same nano. I also think that mixing clown species in a nano will result in one dead fish. I've never had a shrimp/goby combo but I like option six with a pair of ocellaris instead of the mixed clowns. If you do this you should definitely put your rocks on stands so the shrimp can't undermine them and create a rockslide!

texasfootball21
08-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks.
Okay, I will be sure to put my rocks on a stand if I add the shrimp, goby combo.

All comments appreciated and it would be great if you tell my what you think would work well and be entertaining to watch in this tank, thanks!

Small Fry
08-22-2007, 02:44 PM
I agree with carmie on not mixing clowns in such a small tank. It could be okay in a long tank where you could have two seperate hosting places. Even then there could be issues.

As for the sixline and manadarin, i am not saying that the sixline will always kill, i have it from some who have had problems, and have had it from those who have (Lfs owners as well as Bobby). I do believe when it comes to our hobby, some is luck, and the rest is careful, educated planning. I believe that when it comes to fish, especially beautiful fish liek the mandarin and six-line, that it is better to pay attention to the negative comments than the positive. Almost like a "expect the worst" scenario, better to be safe than sorry, etc...

Anywhio, i had a pair of Blood shrimp in my nano as well as a pistol/goby. So yeah, that's always a good combo.

keep us updated.

texasfootball21
08-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks, I will be sure to post when I decide to start up this tank, whenever that may be.