PDA

View Full Version : How Old Were You When You First Started

espocrespo
08-18-2007, 08:40 AM
How Old Were You When You First Started? Im now 13 and getting my first marine tank in 2 weeks:up:

Russel P
08-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Welcome to TR!

I was keeping freshwater since I could walk. For some reason I always wanted fish every birthday when I was a kid. I didn't try salt until I cared for one on display at college and realized it wasn't so impossible. I'd say around 18-19 for marine.

saltyreef
08-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Welcome to TR espocrespo! I've been in the hobby for 2 years. My 14 year old son is into World of Warcraft more than fish & my 19 year old daughter has a 55 gallon SW tank. So, I am up there in numbers, lol!

Congrats on being allowed to get a SW tank & we'll look forward to hearing about it as you set it up!

http://www.iheartpaws.com/forums/images/smilies/woohoonaner2gy.gif

salt-rookie
08-18-2007, 10:58 AM
I was 8 years old, in the 2nd grade...that was the Christmas after JFK got shot....December 25, 1963! Haven't been without a tank since! I went to saltwater in 2002.

lReef lKeeper
08-18-2007, 12:49 PM
FW since i was about 10 and SW/reefing for about 2 - 2 1/2 years now.

SoCalReefer
08-18-2007, 07:00 PM
19, when i first put my marine tank together

Seahorsedreams
08-18-2007, 10:41 PM
I was old enough to know better.

CarmieJo
08-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Hi espocrespo and :welcome: to TR. I've had FW since I was a little kid, then started keeping SW right out of college. I got into reefs the beginning of 2006.

pearsonhurst
08-18-2007, 10:52 PM
LOL @ Renee :rotfl:

Started FW in my early teens, koi pond in my 20s and my first reef @ 30. Can't wait to see what I do next decade :tongue2:

tim
08-19-2007, 12:18 AM
I had my first fresh water tank when I was 5. my first saltwater tank when I was 10. :( all the money lost too ( thousands )

RockDoc
08-22-2007, 10:01 AM
I got my first SW tank in college, around 1978, and kept tanks for maybe 10 years. A couple months ago I got back into the hobby, just to find out that the technology has changed dramatically since the 70's. Back then, every salt water tank used under gravel filters. Now it's all about natural filtration, sumps and refugiums. I wonder what it will be like in 20 years.

Small Fry
08-22-2007, 02:27 PM
had a 130 gallon planted freshie when i was 4, had that since i was 13. I've had huge ponds since i was 9. And When i was 15 i got my 12 gallon saltwater nanocube. Now, i am 17 and have my 120 saltwater reef.

Techknowledgy
08-23-2007, 05:07 PM
1974. I was a freshmen in college at UCSD. The fish liked me even though I was (and still am) pretty much a nerd.

lReef lKeeper
08-23-2007, 10:52 PM
1974. I was a freshmen in college at UCSD. The fish liked me even though I was (and still am) pretty much a nerd.

dont be to hard on yourself !! my wife and her family call me a "reef geek" !! :up:

aaronseebs
08-23-2007, 10:58 PM
I started freshwater when i was 13. That was only 2 years ago. I have a 30 g freshwater tank, and i just four days ago purchased a 14 g biocube to start out saltwater. you and i are about in the same position. good luck

Techknowledgy
08-23-2007, 11:33 PM
I wear both the nerd and geek labels proudly. I have people working for me who would have been the "Really cool people" in high school.

CarmieJo
08-23-2007, 11:51 PM
LOL! My son says I am both a nerd and a geek.

Techknowledgy
08-23-2007, 11:55 PM
All of mine do too. One college graduate, and two college students, and one high school academic star. The whole geek thing has really worked out! Just sag your pants around your butt and he will think you are cool. Your wife will divorce you, but your son will think you are cool..... or crazy!

CarmieJo
08-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Yeah but I impressed one of our exchange students because I could do a little html.:)

espocrespo
06-06-2008, 10:37 AM
im now 14 and im on my 3rd tank, just upgraded my 42 to a 55.

espocrespo
06-06-2008, 10:40 AM
oh yh i upgraded because my 42's stand was bowing. Dam that cruddy wood.

keith p
06-06-2008, 01:38 PM
I had to wait until I moved out of my parent's house (they were not fond of pets). I was 25 when I got my first betta and gold fish tanks. I only started SW 8 months ago.

I'm still a noob

BrianG
06-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Fresh water when I was 16. I had a 29gal SW tank 1 year ago but it crashed. I took a break and I just strated up a 100gal SW tank 1.5 months ago.

Amphibious
06-06-2008, 06:30 PM
It's true. I was 8 or 9 years old when my dad and mom relinquished and bought me a 2 1/2 gal pressed glass bowl and a couple of goldfish. That was around 1946! I'll save you from having to do the math, I'm 70+ years young! See, most of you and your parents weren't born, yet. I had FW for the next 20 years. I went deep into it with about 30 aquariums in my basement over the years. In 1966 (Some of your parents were now born but, most of you were not.) I went into SW. By 1968 I was so enthralled with SW, I began to convert the FW tanks to SW. All except the metal framed tanks, those I sold or gave away. Did you even know there was a time before all glass aquariums? The stainless steel framed aquariums. That before stainless steel framed there was steel framed aquariums? Several of mine were steel framed and I even had to re-seal a few with a black tar like substance. MESSY!

Around 1970 the transition was complete. I had about 20 SW aquariums in my basement. Because I wouldn't settle for anything less than success, I was able to teach others how to set up and maintain a SW aquarium. I began to do installations and maintenance. That led to selling out of my home. I've been in the "business" ever since in one fashion or another. In 1974 I bought my first Acrylic aquarium for installation in a retail "shell" shop. When I drilled the first of three holes through the bottom, I thought, "Dick, you have lost your freaking mind". It turned out to be one of my most successful marine installs up to that time.

After that install, I went to Acrylic exclusively! I never bought another glass tank. Became a wholesale dealer for the original ClarityPlus Acrylic manufacturer in 1987. Have used, sold and/or installed literally thousands of Acrylic aquariums. One went bad in all that time, a 20 gal Hex.

Currently, I'm not done yet, I'm in the process of setting up a coral fragging business in FL. Here's a link to that thread - Aquaculture Building (http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/general-marine-discussions/5508-our-aquaculture-building-finally-arrived.html). The lesson here is, as long as you have your health, a young attitude and a wife like mine, why slow down? Stay active, stay young!!! Don't forget that.

So, I'm older than dirt, as old as the oceans (the oceans were first, you know), old enough to be the father, grandfather and possibly GREAT-GRANDFATHER to everyone on TR. And yes, like Renee, old enough to know better. Of course, Renee is a mere child in comparison.

Is anyone on TR older than 70??? Probably not!!! :showoff: :rotfl:

CarmieJo
06-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Dick I was in 2nd grade in 1966! So you could only be my dad. I know that you collect spare grandchildren :) how about a spare daughter too?

rayme07
06-06-2008, 07:21 PM
My first tank was when I was 5 years old with a fresh water then at 14 I started a 60 gallon salt water fish tank. I love fish tanks and everything to do with them. :agree:

Amphibious
06-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Dick I was in 2nd grade in 1966! So you could only be my dad. I know that you collect spare grandchildren how about a spare daughter too?

You would make me a proud Daddy, Carmie.

microbius
06-07-2008, 06:22 PM
when i was 10 ,i won a goldfish at a funfair it lived in a 12" tank for 10 years then a 36" one for a further 9 years it died shortly after i introduced another fancy goldfish to keep it company 'bummer' :fish:

Skurvey Dog
06-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Well strange is as strange does. :D I started out with 2 turtles when I was about 5 years old before all the hoopla of samanella(1965). I then got the gold fish in the glass bowl, but later expressed to my father my interest in capturing my own creatures, minnows and the like. (We were always in, or around the water, I'm surprised I don't have scales. I was a wierd kid always fascinated with water life forms, bugs and what not. My father felt that I had shown enough responsibility in my successful caring for my other pets that he got me one of those 5 gallon glass aquiriums. Yes, pretty, shiny chrome steel frames. Oooooohhhh, Aweeeee. :D I had made the big time! Have kept FW tanks all my life, 55G being my favorite for that medium. Just never could see the need for a larger system for fresh. Moved in 2003 and didn't set back up a tank for 3 years. Then out of the blue I decided I wanted to do something different, more of a challenge, more fascinating, so I set up a SW nano to try things out. Two years and 4 tanks later..... I've got my 90g and wanting to go larger. ;) I can honestly say that by having SW and FW tanks, SW by far is a powerful addiction and I need my fix! :D

CarmieJo
06-07-2008, 10:56 PM
You would make me a proud Daddy, Carmie. OK, we'll get a family photo at MACNA!

Say, my first tank with a stainless steel frame had a slate bottom. Did yours?

Skurvey Dog
06-07-2008, 11:47 PM
CJo I don't think so, or to the best of my knowledge the bottom was all glass. Instead of the tanks today with just the plastic rings around the top and bottom, the tank I kept had the 4 corners also reinforced with the metal chrome. Basically everywhere the glass was joined.

V
06-19-2009, 06:53 PM
23 days,7 hours & 45 seconds ago, im not green, more aquamarine - but im learning! :huh:

Iron E
06-19-2009, 07:35 PM
I did the turtle at 5 years old thing, (1960 ) then goldfish in a bowl at 7. Got a real fish tank at 11. Guppies, Plecos, Neons, then later, Convict Cichlids, Jack Dempseys, Coolie Loaches. Etc, etc.

Didn't start saltwater until 6 months ago.

V-Dude! you really been hittin' the archives! Too much time on yer hands! Or, is this one of your cleverly disguised, diversionary tactics?

Tom

V
06-19-2009, 07:55 PM
never can tell with me.

plus thats me on the right! *giggles*
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc264/ddarby253/whoa.jpg

Iron E
06-19-2009, 07:59 PM
I recognized you before I read it!

Ya' gotta lay off that extra Fosters though bro!

V
06-19-2009, 08:10 PM
http://www.curtumevexas.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/laughing.gif

rayme07
06-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Great pic of you V is that your boy friend next to you in the rainbow pants. LOL :rotfl: J/K

V
06-19-2009, 10:04 PM
what you didn't pick up on ironmans comments of recognising me, thats because he's the one standing next to me..lol

Iron E
06-19-2009, 10:43 PM
That's my fave pair of Converse All Stars!!:heart:

V
06-19-2009, 11:33 PM
lol, gold!!

hey read this, i love travel blogs from our newspaper
The Age Blogs: Travel (http://blogs.theage.com.au/travel/archives/2009/05/the_worlds_worst_roads_and_drivers.html)

Iron E
06-19-2009, 11:54 PM
I can't even THINK about crazy drivers! I can't even ride in a car driven by somebody else!

Now, crazy walks on the other hand...

youtube search for:

El Camino del Rey [High Quality]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDhRvvs5Xw

(sorry I don't know how to post a link to youtube)

Tom

V
06-20-2009, 06:05 AM
in the you tube window on the right, there is the URL address.
copy that & then come back here -see the world/chain icon above this window, click that & paste the link in the URL section.

Then your done:up:

saltaddict
06-20-2009, 07:53 AM
never can tell with me.

plus thats me on the right! *giggles*
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc264/ddarby253/whoa.jpg

SWEET V!!!!:wow:

I started catching fish in the creek by our home (with my hands) at 4 starting the world of freshwater tanks for us. When the obsession of fish melted into the obsession with boys my parents got rid of the tanks and went fish less.
I resumed FW in my 20's but frankly was not enthused with them.
At 30, (2001), after tons of reading and researching I bought my first 30g -four thousand dollars later a tank was born and engraved in my soul forever.

I have had several tanks in the 71/2 yrs, I change tanks when I change the decor of my home. SERIOUS. My fish do travel. I still have all but one, (one of a pair of nanos), of the tanks in the garage waiting to resurrected.

My oldest child tells everyone when they see my tanks - "Oh, those are my Mom's babies, she likes them better than she does us".
When I go on vacation, a special fish sitter is brought in to make sure every morning and evening that all is well and the dog is dropped at the kennel - don't like the dog!!

Iron E
06-20-2009, 09:03 AM
in the you tube window on the right, there is the URL address.
copy that & then come back here -see the world/chain icon above this window, click that & paste the link in the URL section.

Then your done:up:

Sweet!:showoff:

V
06-20-2009, 05:26 PM
that walk was both cool, & insane :up:

CarmieJo
06-21-2009, 02:39 AM
So Rhonda, the next time hubby goes on a home improvement kick I will tell him we need a new tank to go with the new whatever it is that he wants done to the house. :)

I don't have my slate bottom 10 gallon any more but I do have the 20L that I got in the early 70's and the 29 that I had my first SW tank in back in the early 80's.

saltaddict
06-21-2009, 09:00 AM
So Rhonda, the next time hubby goes on a home improvement kick I will tell him we need a new tank to go with the new whatever it is that he wants done to the house. :)

Now - you don't quite put it in those words or they think your crazy.

After some work we moved a television - I said, "You know what would look neat beside the tv - Nano Tanks". He said, "that would look kinda cool". So I took that as GO AHEAD AND BUY THEM HONEY.
:heart:
Hes gotta love me or at least like me a little or I would be dead!!!

After almost 10 yrs he is starting to catch on and is more reserved about giving an opinion because he knows if he indicates he likes something then I take that as a YES.:)

Iron E
06-21-2009, 09:08 AM
After almost 10 yrs he is starting to catch on and is more reserved about giving an opinion because he knows if he indicates he likes something then I take that as a YES.:)

You mean, he's reserved because if he indicates otherwise, he'll be livin' in the backyard with the cat!:eek:

Tom

saltaddict
06-21-2009, 06:34 PM
You mean, he's reserved because if he indicates otherwise, he'll be livin' in the backyard with the cat!:eek:

Tom

Yep! In the yard with the cat and broke as heck!!

CarmieJo
06-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Now - you don't quite put it in those words or they think your crazy.

After some work we moved a television - I said, "You know what would look neat beside the tv - Nano Tanks". He said, "that would look kinda cool". So I took that as GO AHEAD AND BUY THEM HONEY.
:heart:
Hes gotta love me or at least like me a little or I would be dead!!!

After almost 10 yrs he is starting to catch on and is more reserved about giving an opinion because he knows if he indicates he likes something then I take that as a YES.:) I like how you think!

Pat
06-21-2009, 06:50 PM
i started last summer at the age of 18
but i had fresh water on an off since i was like 5

saxman
06-23-2009, 03:58 PM
pretty much since i could walk...my dad was one of those "early guys", but had racks of tanx plus some DT's in the house, so i always had a FW. i've been doing exclusively SW non-stop for close to 20 years now.

those of you who know Renee (seahorsedreams) know that there is nobody to be the voice of reason when it comes to "the hobby":

ONE: "oh look at the _____ isn't it cool?"
THE OTHER: "get it..."

ONE: "babe...we need a..."
THE OTHER: "get it..."

you get the idea...

devlzluv
06-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Lol started in April and im 27 woot!

7perseo7
06-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Hey Rockdock I can relate to that,i got started into salwater by two of my dad;s friends back in 1976 They built their own tanks and filters, convinced my Dad to let my get one of their old tanks and helped me get it started with some frags.
.the way of the reef has gone back and forth a few times between sumps versus protein skimmers and algae screbbers. but nature is still the same.the closer to it and keep ing simple has been my way.
i never left fresh water since i love disc Angels,,koi and Oscars . now i have tanks on every one of my kids and friends houses, right now working on a 150 setup on my new appartment.
i have 2 tanks with chillers 55 gal and amd a few smaller ones that started as quarantine tanks and now have
been quarantined for a long time. Lol

Iron E
06-28-2009, 07:31 PM
I hear ya'! I'm beginning to understand that I may always have the QT running!

boyesreef
06-28-2009, 09:29 PM
2007, i was 21. overpaid for everything, but darn if i dont still have all my origional stuff.

Coreyz
06-29-2009, 12:19 AM
I haven't started yet with salt water. I bought a 125 gl. 1.5 yrs. ago and have been buying my sump, return pump, MH lights and ballast, protien skimmer, RO/DI 5 stage filter with Rubbermaid brute trash can on casters the RO/DI unit is working great already made 25 gallons for my existing tanks, and tons of plumbing stuff getting ready to build the big one. I just need to get my custom made over flows made for my drilled tank on the back.I have 4 ports for 1 inch tubes two return two exit. Been waiting on a friend for 6 months now to get the over flows made. Saw him today and instead going with a local pro who also made my sump back when I first got the tank. I want to get blacked out acrylic in the shape of a L for each corner from bottom to top. As soon as I get the overflows made I can start getting it all plumed up I hope to be getting it wet with RO/DI water soon and making a large rock purchase from a local reefer. Been studying the hobby hardcore the last 1.5 yrs. and going to my local LMAS (Louisville Marine Aquarium Society) meetings every month and learning from my friends there and reading a ton online and in magazines and books. I have had many fresh water planted/fish/invert tanks for the last 15 years..... now for SALT !

CarmieJo
06-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Hi Nick! How's it going?

ryandlf
06-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Coreyz, I gotta commend you on being able to have such a sweet tank sitting around for that long without going crazy, and spending every last dime you have until its set up. Can't wait to follow your tank build once you get going.

Anyways, I am almost 26 now, and have been keeping SW for about a year. The sad part is i've upgraded my tank twice already. I've gone from a 14G Biocube, to a 55, and now within the past week a 72. I keep breaking down the old ones and moving them into the new. My advice is start with a size you want otherwise you will keep spending more and more until you finally get there. But, hey thats part of the fun right.

Iron E
06-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Hi Coreyz! If you keep taking your time and doing your research like you have been, I'm betting you will have one awesome tank!:up:

Patience takes all in this game and it's really tough to keep the reins in check! Hang in there! You are an inspiration!:showoff:

Tom

lance
07-07-2009, 03:44 AM
I was around 7 year's old when my dad bought me my first tank and 18 year's later here I am still in the hobby and glad to share my passion for it with other's. What is more Ironic is I work at the LFS store where I shopped from age 7 to my age of 25 now. And, own several small aquarium business's in the making as well.

lance