PDA

View Full Version : A Tang in a 54G Corner

wizbang
08-15-2007, 02:49 AM
Is there ANY tang that is suitable for a 54G corner tank???

My wife is insistant that we need one. To that end, she introduced a (very nice) piece of tonga branch rock to the tank, completely COVERED in hair algae.

Her intensions are good - but can my 54G corner handle ANY Tang that will feed on this hair algae? Or the better question might be - is there any tang that can handle a 54G Corner?

She REALLY wants a yellow tailed purple tang (as do I - if it'll be happy and healthy). But I am not sure how long it wil be happy in such a small tank.

I do want a MUCH larger tank eventually. When EVENTUALLY is, I'm not sure.

Will a small, juvenille Tang grow too quickly for a 54G corner? I do not want to build a 225G in the next 12 months - 13 maybe, but not 12....

Don

lReef lKeeper
08-15-2007, 04:54 PM
nope, tangs have to have a LOT of swimming room. i would not suggest a tang, but maybe something like a lawnmower blenny or foxface rabbitfish (but the foxface would eventually get to big also) IMO. minimum tank size for ANY tang is at least 75 gallons.

wizbang
08-15-2007, 05:00 PM
nope, tangs have to have a LOT of swimming room. i would not suggest a tang, but maybe something like a lawnmower blenny or foxface rabbitfish (but the foxface would eventually get to big also) IMO. minimum tank size for ANY tang is at least 75 gallons.

That's what I thought - thanks

lReef lKeeper
08-15-2007, 05:01 PM
anytime buddy.

CarmieJo
08-15-2007, 08:29 PM
I absolutely agree, no tangs for you or me in our corner tanks.

wizbang
08-17-2007, 02:24 AM
I absolutely agree, no tangs for you or me in our corner tanks.

I know - I know - - - quit rubbing salt in the wound!! ;):cry:

I love all of the help here - thanks!!!

Thanks, CarmieJo

salt-rookie
08-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Heck! On Reef central, the mod's HEADS would explode at this question! I agree, NOPE!

CarmieJo
08-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Heck! On Reef central, the mod's HEADS would explode at this question! I agree, NOPE!

And they would tell you what an evil person you are. That's why we like TR.:)

tim
08-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Heck! On Reef central, the mod's HEADS would explode at this question!

let it happen IMO they jump to much and to fast. instead of explaining why.

salt-rookie
08-26-2007, 08:58 AM
let it happen IMO they jump to much and to fast. instead of explaining why.

100% argeed!!!