PDA

View Full Version : Which Filter?

Cyclura
08-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Hey guys i need help with deciding which filter to get for my 15gal nano tank. Im planning on keeping softies, LPS, and possibly some monti digi.

I really like this one, but is it too much flow and heat transfer?
Aquarium Filters & Filtration: Hang On Tank Magnum Canister Filter (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3597&N=2004+22777)

I would settle for this one but is it too small?
Canister Filters: Rapids Mini Canister Filter at Drs. Foster and Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=16742&N=2004+22777)

I have a small (145gph) powerhead and one of those new rena HOB powerfilters on it right now while it's cycling so im sure anything would be better than just that. What do you guys think i should go with?

-Adam

Cyclura
08-08-2007, 08:40 PM
::bump:: anybody? the larger filter is going to give me about 16x turnover per hour and the smaller is going to give me around 5x turnover per hour. Im going to guess that i should go with the larger one? but is it too big for a 15 gal?

tim
08-08-2007, 10:54 PM
you want about 6 to 8 times the turn over per hour. I dont like either one of thoses filters the small really sucks. I like the fluval series filter. I would use the fluval 105 Imo. that would give almost 8.3 times an hour. the link Aquarium Canister Filters: Hagen Fluval Multi-Stage 05 Series Filters (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=14633&cm_mmc=LiveAquaria_DFS_Links-_-Fish_Supplies-_-LiveAquaria_Gen_Page-_-Filters&ref=3969&subref=AA&N=2004+22777)

Seahorsedreams
08-09-2007, 04:30 PM
I have that mini filter... was barely adequate for a 10 so I wouldn't try it on a 15.

CarmieJo
08-09-2007, 06:33 PM
How are you planning on using it? Just for flow? I have had good luck with Magnum filters. I used them extensively back in the 80's when I kept FO thanks. Now I have a 350 that I use for water polishing.

Cyclura
08-09-2007, 09:55 PM
flow and supplemental filtration (supplemental to the LR and sand bed). Ill probably keep plenty of LR rubble and chemical media in there just like i do my fluval FX5 in my horse tank. I have had good success with it and as long as its cleaned out monthly it doesnt turn into a detritus factory. So im going with the fluval 105 for this tank, the only difference between this one and the one on my horse tank will be that this one wont be in the sump where it doesnt directly affect flow, no, this filter will provide the promary flow for my tank. I also have a small 145 gph powerhead in the tank that i can either keep or take out depending on my needs.

Unless anyone thinks i could go with the magnum HOB and not have any problems ill get the fluval 105

Thanks for your help guys.

CarmieJo
08-09-2007, 10:29 PM
You might want the powerhead in the tank to help make the flow more chaotic.

reefgirl
11-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Are you planning on skimming?

Stargazer
11-13-2007, 12:24 AM
The Fluval x05 series are, I think, mechanically better than the Magnum (I have a Magnum 350, a Fluval 205, two 305's, and a 404). The Fluvals prime much easier and the Magnum is prone to impeller wear if you suck up fine grain sand. The disconnect for the Fluval hoses is much better (easier to disconnect, less water spilled).

I don't use the ceramic media in the Fluvals on SW tanks (I use them on both FW and SW). I load my SW Fluvals with floss, carbon, Purigen and phosphate sponge.

The Magnum is a great filter for water polishing, as Carmie said, with the micron paper cartridge. And you can load it up with diatom powder, if you want. I use my Magnum to suck up suspended detritus whan I stir the sand in the SW tanks and to vacuum out the sump. I got the gavel vac attachment for the Magnum and use that for cleaning our FW substrates. It works super for that.

I am glad I have both.