PDA

View Full Version : Wii

CarmieJo
08-07-2007, 01:08 AM
Hi! I may have to give up my aquariums to take up playing Wii! <just kidding> Ours arrived on Friday and it is by far the most fun video game I've ever played! And our 19 year old son who loves computer games is spending as much time with it as he is playing WoW!:up:

Small Fry
08-07-2007, 01:54 AM
grrr, i hate WOW, it takes so many good FPS players away from us.......

ANYWHO, lol, best buy and future shops and walmarts are STILL selling out of the wii's
i've only ever seen one, and it was sold within the 15 minutes i was in the store...

My cousins BF has one at he says it is the greatest system in existance (also good for those pudgy gamers we have inhabiting our good planet lol)

I issue a warning to all of you though, first, wear the wrist straps tightely, second, DONT PLAY WHEN DRUNK. A fellow sandwhich artist was having a party in which they broke out the wii, some booze, and ended up smashing a 47" lcd T.V....

lReef lKeeper
08-07-2007, 10:21 PM
we have one here, and i think it sux !! not really any GOOD games for it.

CarmieJo
08-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Josh, not to worry he plays CS too. The first night we had it my son and his friend were playing without the wrist strap and we now have a dent in the wall. But, at least they missed the TV. Now everybody wears the wrist strap!

Bobby, I think that is why I like it, I am not good at playing video games. I remember the first time I played Pong when I was about 12 and I was bad at that too. However, for instance even though I can't really go bowling any more because of my leg and all I can play the Wii game. And I have sore muscles from boxing! Take my word for it sore muscles from playing are far better than sore muscles from PT. :)

Small Fry
08-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Love CS :p

i still want one of those wii systems though, need that excersize, running back and forth from my DT to my Fish room to check params and possible problems isnt enough excersize i dont think XD

RK, ur a 360/PS3 person aren't you???? lol

lReef lKeeper
08-08-2007, 09:17 PM
PS3 ... 100&#37; !! how did you know ??

tim
08-08-2007, 11:11 PM
I just got a wii 2 weeks ago. I love it.

Small Fry
08-08-2007, 11:29 PM
LOL, im a psycic RC, seee, want to hear something else...............Tim is going to keep loving his NINTENDO wii................MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

lol, honestly RC, theres no reason to hate the wii other than loyalty to another system. 360 and ps3 guys are threatened by a new system that is more fun... Your in denial RC, personally, i didnt think anyone liked the ps3, due to its what like, 75&#37; breakdown rayte or something ????

Anywho, you have to make the beginning steps, ill help you out too.
just fill in the blanks

"Hi, my name is _______. I have a problem. I am in denial, and can't see that my PS3 is garbage, i know the wii is better, and i know that my PS3 will break soon, despite the ridiculous amounts of money i had to save to buy one. I would buy a wii, but i told all my friends i would love the PS3, and i just can't deal with the i told you so's. Hi, my name is _________. Thank you for listening. *exhale* i feel better now, thank you."

:D, just fill in the blanks bud XD XD XD

lmao, i just realised the othr meaning of the first prediction, but this is a family show, so i will add the company........teehee

Russel P
08-10-2007, 05:53 PM
I bought my Wii back when you had to wait in line for hours. I haven't played it since I beat Zelda -maybe 4-6 months ago. I bought an Xbox two months ago and have already played it more. But I'm not a big gamer.

CarmieJo
08-11-2007, 01:11 AM
I'd never sit there and play long enough to beat a game but we have spent hours playing the Wii sports. Everyone has fun from my 5 year old niece to my 77 year old mom. :)

lReef lKeeper
08-11-2007, 10:29 AM
that is all that matters Carmie. as long as YOU and YOUR FAMILY are having a good time. that IS why you bought it in the first place right ?!

Russel P
08-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Carmie, have you tried Zelda? I have a feelin' if you start it, you'll finish it. Great use of the Wiimote, and fun story too. If you get it lemme know, and I'll point you in the direction of a great spoiler-free walkthrough. The one downside to games like that is you can get stuck and the way out is something no one would ever think of on their own...

CarmieJo
08-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Bobby, that is exactly why we got it. And I think that our 19 year old son has had more interaction with the rest of the family in the last week than he did all summer long.

Russy, one of my friends loves Zelda and I think that she has had it for every game system she's owned from GameBoy to Dreamcast. Is it active like the sports for Wii?

lReef lKeeper
08-12-2007, 12:18 AM
yes it is Carmie. our son has it and my wife plays it more than he does. you swing the sword and everything.

Russel P
08-12-2007, 09:46 AM
You can minimize the swings pretty easily into a flick of the wrist, so it's possible to sit on the couch and play. The neat thing about it is how involved it is, how many maps, lands, tools, etc. they fit into one CD. There are areas of molten magma, under water, snow, forests, deserts; so many things to cross that it doesn't feel repetitive. I could mail you my copy for a trial if you want to check it out. I'd give it to you but my nieces play every time they come over.

CarmieJo
08-13-2007, 01:14 AM
On the sports disc it amazes me to see other characters playing on your team and stuff like Ithat. That would be cool to borrow your's to see if we like it.

pearsonhurst
08-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Oh man, i want a Wii SOOOOOOOOO bad. I think i have convinced my wife she and the kids would really enjoy it. i haven't had a game system since the original Nintendo, but I want one of these bad!

wakbrdfr
08-13-2007, 12:49 PM
I have had one since the second week it came out and it is amazing! The baseball game "The Bigs" is great! Also at the end of the month metriod prime is supposed to come out and it looks like halo.

lReef lKeeper
08-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Carmie, let me know if you end up wanting the Zelda game. i will see if our son will sell you his (to save a few bucks). they only played it about 5 times.

Russel P
08-13-2007, 05:43 PM
PM me your address and I'll get it right out.

CarmieJo
08-13-2007, 11:38 PM
PM sent. Thanks.

A game not to buy is Wii Play. It is really just to teach you how to use the remote. It comes with a controller and I got it for the price of a controller so I won't send it back but I am glad I didn't pay full price. :)

JeffDubya
08-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Playing Wii is a BLAST! Carmie, I disagree about "Wii Play" - it always sells for the price of a spare wiimote, and it has some decent games on it. My son and I love the shooting range on it as well as the tank game.

Our favorite games are "The Bigs" (GREAT baseball game) "Madden 08" "Tiger Woods Golf" and Branch likes Mario Strikers. I have a couple war games, a flying one and call of duty which are cool. But EVERYONE loves Wii Sports. First time in my life I am a bowling pro.

Stay away from "Big Brain Academy" and "Super Swing Golf" they suck.

I also strongly getting the package that makes the Wiimotes rechargeable cause man they suck up the AA batteries. :)

JeffDubya
08-16-2007, 03:30 PM
I issue a warning to all of you though, first, wear the wrist straps tightely, second, DONT PLAY WHEN DRUNK. A fellow sandwhich artist was having a party in which they broke out the wii, some booze, and ended up smashing a 47" lcd T.V....

Doh!

You crazy sandwich artists...

CarmieJo
08-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Jeff,

Thanks for the game suggestions. Madden '08 and Tiger Woods are already on our list. How does The Bigs compare to the baseball on Wii Sports? Our son is coming home for the weekend so we will probably go pick up a couple of games while he is here.

We already bought charging bases (and the non slip grips) for the remotes.

JeffDubya
08-16-2007, 11:24 PM
How does The Bigs compare to the baseball on Wii Sports?

Not even in the same league, no pun intended.

The Bigs is really, really, REALLY great! I really love it. I wish my FIVE YEAR OLD SON had a better grasp on the fundamentals of baseball, but it's a hoot.

I have never played a football video game, but I have only heard good things about Madden. And don't overlook Mario Strikers. I HATE soccer, but the game is still fun. We had the game cube version, and the new Wii version is fun too. Plus, you can play it on the network, so if you get it, maybe I can play a game with you! Better yet, maybe Branch can play a game with Betsy! :)

CarmieJo
08-17-2007, 02:07 AM
We have a whole series of Madden games for Dreamcast & Game Cube. They are always pretty fun.

Betsy is already a good Wii bowler! She liked playing so much that I expect that their family will have a Wii for Christmas.

JeffDubya
08-18-2007, 04:32 AM
Played Madden for the first time tonight, I may not be a big enough football fan for this one. Complex but very cool. And can be played on the network!!!

CarmieJo
08-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Dominic came home from college Friday and had stopped and bought Mario Striker on the way home. He's played a lot but I've been busy and haven't played at all.

pearsonhurst
08-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Agggg, y'all are killing me!!!! Wife wants to wait until x-mas for the Wii......

Pescaiolo
09-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Ill sell you mine! The only person that plays it is my little brother when he brings his gamecube games over. We thought it was cool for about a week. Most of the games are Gamecube ports and they add a little wave of the remote to do something(Zelda anyone?). That is not the picture Nintendo painted for us when they introduced this system. Free movement was suppose to be a big thing. You move and the character follows your moves based on the controller. Its not what they promised it to be IMO. Like most systems in the past(Anybody remember Virtualboy) Nintendo has made, the Wii is gimmicky and will never live up to the hype that Nintendo hyped it up to be. They think they are smart by keeping them off shelves too, that just shows that their company is all talk and no walk.

JeffDubya
09-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Pescaiolo... I'm not going to argue about video games on an aquarium forum with you, but you are 100&#37; wrong. I owned the gamecube from the day it was released, and I can tell you Wii games are not a port. "Little wave of the remote?" Yeah, my arm is so sore from playing the bigs that I am taking a few days off and making my son do the same.

Get yours on eBay and I'm sure you will get what you paid for it - because regardless what your contention is, Wii is the number one game console in the world right now. Maybe it's not for everyone. However, to a "T" every person who has seen or played mine has purchased one of their own.

The Wii isn't a gimmick. It's a revolution. That's why PS3 and xBox are rushing to add motion control to their systems as well.

wakbrdfr
09-05-2007, 10:44 AM
I will second that, The Bigs is like night and day compared to wii sports. I also just got Metriod Prime and it is one of the best wii games out there!

Pescaiolo
09-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Pescaiolo... I'm not going to argue about video games on an aquarium forum with you, but you are 100% wrong. I owned the gamecube from the day it was released, and I can tell you Wii games are not a port. "Little wave of the remote?" Yeah, my arm is so sore from playing the bigs that I am taking a few days off and making my son do the same.

Get yours on eBay and I'm sure you will get what you paid for it - because regardless what your contention is, Wii is the number one game console in the world right now. Maybe it's not for everyone. However, to a "T" every person who has seen or played mine has purchased one of their own.

The Wii isn't a gimmick. It's a revolution. That's why PS3 and xBox are rushing to add motion control to their systems as well.

You are correct this isn't the place for an argument about this and I don't want to argue, I would like to discuss. I had a gamecube as well, gave it to my brother when I got the Wii. When I first got the Wii, my friends and I played Wii Sports and I saw such an awesome use of new technology. My brother has the Gamecube and his wife bought Zelda for it. Well I bought the Wii version of Zelda. Its the same game mate, my brother even said it. The only difference is you have to move the controller(which gets annoying) to swing. You have to hold a button and move the controller to swing a different way. Its not like, you come down with the remote and he swings down. You swing across with the remote and he swings across. I wouldn't even be writing this if that was the case, I'd be playing Zelda! But unfortunately its not that way and I feel I got had on a 50 dollar game that isn't at all what Nintendo made it out to be. You mention the Bigs, that's one game out of how many for the system? Can anyone give me a list of games that use the full potential of the system? Maybe I might change my mind. :) Thank you for such a great discussion. God bless! :up:

wakbrdfr
09-05-2007, 11:53 AM
First off you need to go to IGN and look at release dates to see what the system is coming out with hundreds of games and take a look at wii fit. This system is way better than gamecube and the Zelda is way better then the gamecube version!

CarmieJo
09-05-2007, 08:29 PM
I like the active part of Wii sports and we are getting Bigs next. But, I have to say that Chuck loaned me Zelda and I finally felt well enough to play over the weekend. It is his fault that my husband is mad at me for staying up half the night playing!

JeffDubya
09-06-2007, 01:42 AM
You mention the Bigs, that's one game out of how many for the system? Can anyone give me a list of games that use the full potential of the system?

Well you infer that I am judging the system on a single game. I don't think that's true.

Seems to me that in the case of Zelda, it's exactly what you are doing in the negatve.

I can't speak to zelda one way or another. I have never been a Zelda fan, and haven't bought that game, nor will I. One note about Zelda, it was one of the first games for the wii, and regardless of what system we're discussing, the first titles are always a little bit lame as programmers test the strengths and weaknesses of the system.

I have about 8 games. Of those, the ones we enjoy the most are:

The Bigs
Tiger Woods Golf (first '07 now '08)
Madden Football 08
Wii Sports
Mario Strikers

And I actually like several of the games on the Wii play disc (tanks, hockey, shooting range, pool) although I am certain I will get flamed for admitting that I liked it. ;) What can I say, the games were basically free.

JeffDubya
09-06-2007, 01:44 AM
Super Mario Galaxy is going to be the title to own... my prediction. It's the franchise characters... and the new Mario Kart looks to be excellent as well!

CarmieJo
09-06-2007, 01:59 AM
Jeff, although my husband owns and enjoys Tiger Woods on his PC we have not boughtit for Wii because in the reviews people either loved it or hated it. There were no in-between ratings. Compared to the Wii Sports golf what do you think?

JeffDubya
09-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Carmie Jo,

Quite frankly, I don't know why ANYONE would not like Tiger Woods golf. We think it is tremendous fun. The ONLY thing I didn't like about the game are:

(1) The announcers (who will mock you when you play poorly) are annoying as hell.

(2) Creating a custom player is both difficult and tedious.

We just bought the '08 version of the game and were disappointed for the following reasons:

(1) We read it would have network play capabilities. It (so far as I can tell) does not. PS3 and XBox might. But Wii does not.

(2) There is a new option called "Game Face" where you are able to put an actual photo of your own face on a character. See my comments above regarding tedious custom player setup. Anyhoo, the fine (jerks) folks at EA have disabled that function with the Wii.

(3) I personally like putting more in the '07 version. It's much harder in '08. But chipping and driving seems to be a bit easier/improved in '08. So there's your trade off.

You get more courses, improved graphics and gameplay and some new min-games in 08.

Personally, I would say try to find a used copy of '07 (there will be a ton of them out there, I sold mine for $15) and see if you like it. I think you will.

CarmieJo
09-07-2007, 12:23 AM
Thanks Jeff. We've got a Play n Trade that we like to spend money at. :) I'll look for an '07 the next time we go in.

Russel P
09-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Carmie, PM me if you want to borrow 07 for an indefinite period!