PDA

View Full Version : Lobsters & Peppermints

saltyreef
08-01-2007, 10:11 AM
When moving the livestock, my daughter caught the Purple Reef lobster & before I could say no, she dropped it in the 90g. I was either going to trade it or set up a 10g for it. The deed is done and catching it is not an option, lol! Would the lobster actively go after Peppermint shrimp? Would like to get 4 of them. Fun to watch & small AIP control.

JustDavidP
08-01-2007, 01:05 PM
The purple lobster (Enoplometopus daumi) is SUPPOSED to be reef safe. Though I've heard of issues where gobids and other bottom dwelling or slower fish were taken. I suppose they are "reef safe" in that they don't consume coral.

The lobsters are carnivores. They will eat meat. I'm sure they will "fish" if not kept well fed. I'd not take the chance. I'd certainly not put them in my tank because they happen to enjoy clams :(

Dave

saltyreef
08-02-2007, 12:17 AM
I was thinking it would be a bad idea too! Guess I should try & build a mini lobster trap!

JustDavidP
08-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Depending on its size, some of the mantis traps may work. Otherwise, a small scale model of the inverted soda bottle (with larger opening) may work.

D

salt-rookie
08-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Aren't lobsters cold water? Won't this issue resolve itself?

JustDavidP
08-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Nope, nope nope...

The Maine Lobster (the one you are used to eating) (Homarus Americanus) is, in fact, a cold water species. However, there are many types of genus of the lobster, some of which are very much tropical. Enoplometopus daumi, *Pointing Up* His lobster, is not cold water.

Dave

wildeone
08-03-2007, 11:01 PM
David, you are a walking book on this stuff. My lfs has a yellow lobster for sale. He looked real nice, I didn't even ask because I could just see him tearing my rockwork all apart!

saltyreef
08-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the help. Will give the bottle trap a try this weekend.