PDA

View Full Version : clown trigger and clowns fish?

marinefishlover
07-30-2007, 02:24 AM
Hi (New please welcome me to the board)

Today my wife on impuse brought a 2 inch clown trigger with tail (25 dollars), I don't know what to do.

Should I put him in the tank with my Maroon clown fish (3 to 4 inch).
or should I bring it back to the shop.. (for nothing)

Right now the Clown trigger is in QT tank and picking raw shrimp.

My tank is a 90 gallon with a 4 inch Emperor and also 2 (3inch) four strip damsels.

The Emperor and damsels I am not really scare but aren't really sure if the Clown can defend itself

thanks.

lReef lKeeper
07-30-2007, 05:51 PM
they might be fine together. BUT your tank is to small for the trigger (it will be when it grows up anyway). a clown trigger can reach almost 20" in length and can turn on its tank mates in a blink of an eye and kill them all. dont get me wrong, i LOVE the fish, but it can be a nasty fella. my books say to keep only one in a large system with large fish or fish that are equally as nasty as the trigger is.
i guess what i am trying to say is ... take it back if you dont like the possiblity of it killing your other fish.

BTW ... welcome to TR !! glad to have you aboard. and tell you wife ... NO MORE IMPULSE BUYS !! lol

CarmieJo
07-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi marinefishlover and :welcome: to TR.
Clown triggers are so cool looking! I say keep the cute baby and buy a bigger tank! Seriously he will quickly outgrow your tank and they are very pugnacious.

marinefishlover
07-30-2007, 11:46 PM
Hi

Yes I know is too small even for the Emperor. Probably going for a 180 soon.

The LFS won't take it back unless I give them back for free (store policy).

Decided to keep him for a while, until he gets a little bigger 5 inch or so and then decide what to do next.

yes they are very cute, is always cute fish has bad intentions.

tim
07-31-2007, 12:18 AM
they are cool fish. I had one in my 210 he got up to about 10 inches. how about some pictures