PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Flounder

Skurvey Dog
07-29-2007, 05:18 PM
While casting for bait fish to take to the jetties to fish, I happened up on a 2" Atlantic Flounder that I decide to bring home and put in a QT that I had. I started him out on various pods that I collected and now he has elevated to baby feeder shrimp that I collect at low tide. I realy have enjoyed him tremendously even though he takes considerable time each day. I have had him for 2 months and he has grown to 5"L now. I am in the process of putting together a 90G for him with lots of run room, sandy bottom. I have tried to find as much material as possible, but still can't pinpoint a species of fish that would cohabitate peacefully ( if one could call it that as he is a predator and a very good one too.) Hogfish are out of the question as they would compete for the bottom...can't do anything that likes the sea floor. Nor any type of puffer from what I've read as they will nip and pick him to death. Would a trigger or grouper be too an aggressive species to put with him? I need to go with something that will be relative in size, not too aggressive and someone who he won't look at and hear the dinner bell ringing. Any tid bits you could throw out would be appreciated.

Russel P
07-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Laid back triggers like a niger should work well, but I wouldn't risk a clown, undulated, or Humu. For that matter, every grouper I've owned has been peaceful although rather obnoxious at feeding time. If you have trouble filling the space, a small school of Mono sebae should do nicely.

JustDavidP
08-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Tid Bit one...

In the Atlantic, you can find "Summer Flounder" or "Fluke", (Paralichthys dentatus), a Southern Flounder (Paralichthys lethostigma), and the Winter Flounder (Pseudopleuronectes americanus), all of which are COLD WATER FISH. They will not fare well in reef like systems. Nor will they be happy in a Fish Only system with "tropicals". They can do okay in a large, cool system that replicates their environment. Unfortunately for you, being in the Carolinas, that may mean a very expensive chiller system.

Yeah...he's growing fast...I'm sure. I'm also sure that a lot of it has to do with the higher than normal temperatures and the affect it has on the metabolism rates of the fish.

If you have the time and patience, research the fish and try and replicate its needs. The ground fish populations in the Western Atlantic are already at all time stressed levels. If you can't care for it, let it go to grow, reproduce and provide me with a future of fish and chips ;)

Dave

Skurvey Dog
08-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks to both of you for your replies to my post. I have been gathering information about the species and appreciate you sharing some of yours. I also agree that we all need to protect our natural resources and be good stewards and will definately see that he is housed and cared for properly. I plan on contacting the Aquarium and our local DNR as they both have discovery tanks and native species tanks which house our flounders. I feel that I can gather plenty of vital information from those two facilities.

PS- If you ever come down, I'll see if we can catch some black sea bass for dinner. Yum....and some grits with cheese:up:

JustDavidP
08-02-2007, 09:26 AM
I love the sea bass, but, pound for pound, my favorite dinner from the Atlantic is the Summer Fluke. I just hate the cleaning and filet part.

I'm glad you are doing research. I don't want to dissuade anyone from research and effort. If we all listened to the nay sayers years ago, we'd not have coral reef tanks. I too have Atlantic fish in my home. I have a cold water system in my basement that houses Killifish (mumchog) and such. I've had no problems keeping them after knowing their requirements. Unfortunately for them (most of them) they are for the sole purpose of "feeder fish" for larger, agressive fish.

Dave