PDA

View Full Version : Test Kit Question

Dragline322
07-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Hi, I am new to saltwater and have a bio cube 14. Check the pics out here
http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/nano-reefs/4687-new-biocube-14-up-running.html

I have only been cycling for a week, and I know that I am far from close to being ready to add corals, or fish or anything. I figured that during the cycle period my levels of undesireable things such as ammonia, nitrite, nitrate would be high anyway so I havent even tested the water for anything other than salinity yet. I was wondering if one brand of test kit was better or more reliable than the next? any advice in this area would be greatly appreciated.

CarmieJo
07-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi Dragline,

You actually want to test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to "see" your cycle as it takes place. I use a combination of API and Salifert kits. I recommend avoiding test dip strips and any test kit that gives you readings like "low, good, high" instead of numbers.

Dragline322
07-27-2007, 08:10 PM
How often shoud I test... and what all should I be testing for?
I know for the cycle I want Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate... But there are alot of other test kits out there, also Will I be better off going with something like Salifert where each test kit is individual, or getting a master test kit whcih includes the basicis in one kit and then adding the others?

lReef lKeeper
07-27-2007, 09:26 PM
i use API, seachem, and salifert. anything that did not come in the API kit i bought seperately in either seachem or salifert kits.

NaClFinatic
07-27-2007, 09:29 PM
I like the API tests I have. They seem easy enough to use, of course since I haven't tried anything else I can't speak to if they are accurate or not!

CarmieJo
07-27-2007, 09:41 PM
I think that a lot of us start out with the API kit that has pH, NH4, NO2 & NO3. Besides these I think that you at least want to add Ca, Alk, and Mg. This article may help you Reefreaders - Chemistry 101 (http://www.reefreaders.com/content/view/45/1/).

Larry Copperband
07-28-2007, 07:00 PM
As I recall,when using live rock to cycle a tank,it not uncommon to never see a measurable "spike" in the cycling process,as far as testing goes.
So,depending on the method,it's important,really important, to be paitent.
I've heard the suggestion to wait 2 months,some say 3 months.
I'm a big fan of 30 days before I'd even consider introducing fish.
Turkey basting the rock kept me busy in the first month.