PDA

View Full Version : medusea coral

penny
07-21-2007, 07:17 PM
I know I spelled this wrong,sorry.I want to know if a Devils Claw and Medusea coral is the same thing?In some shops corals are called different names than their true name.I also wanted to know if the sand bed is the best place for this coral?I had to have it he was calling to me.LOL.I really wanted to place this up higher but for nutrition needs he should be on the bottom.Any added advise on this would be wonderfull.You all here have been a blessing to me and many thanks to you all for your advise.Yea I know Im nuts!but telling my husband and friends that fish and corals speak to me is a great excuse when I bring them home.This way the money I spend isnt as bad as me being nuts.

CarmieJo
07-21-2007, 11:16 PM
You've put your finger on the problem of us not using scientific names. :) I've not run into Devils Claw but I am familiar with Devils Hand which is Lobophytum sp, a type of leather coral. These corals are photosynthetic. Medusa corals are Studeriotes sp and are non-photosynthetic. Here is a bit about them Paralcyoniidae (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/paralcyoniidae.htm)

salt-rookie
07-22-2007, 07:43 AM
I have seen three different leather corals called "Devil's Hand". They looked very different to me. I'd try to find a genus and species name to properly identify what you are getting. Eric Borneman's Aquarium Corals is a great resource. Its often very difficult to identify all corals. This is a VERY tough thing to locate in our hobby.