PDA

View Full Version : How to configure a sump

wizbang
07-21-2007, 02:42 AM
I'm setting up a 54g corner using a 15g tall for the sump. I have a Rio 12 HF pump. I have an overflow pre-built into the tank. the overflow has a 3/4" return and 1 1/4" overflow. (I also have 2 Hydor #2's for flow)

How do I plumb this?

Do I let the overflow hang in the sump and connect the 3/4" return to the Rio?

That sounds logical to me but what do I know. I've been a FW person for a long time.

Don

saltyreef
07-21-2007, 09:28 AM
I learned about all this "sump stuff" from Melvesreef. Great site & lots of great info (including visual):

Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums (http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html)

CarmieJo
07-21-2007, 01:29 PM
That is the basic idea but will want some baffles in order to reduce bubbles and make "compartments". Melev's Reef is a great resource. I'd consider having an area for a refugium.

wizbang
07-21-2007, 05:10 PM
That is the basic idea but will want some baffles in order to reduce bubbles and make "compartments". Melev's Reef is a great resource. I'd consider having an area for a refugium.

I saw the baffles on the sumps on that site. I think I'm going to have to buy another 15G tall, add baffles to it, and replace the plain tank I have now. Maybe next weekend. Then I'll use the plain tank as a QT tank.

I put ball valves in the overflow and return line, so removing and replacing tanks should fairly easy... maybe???

Thanks -

Don

CarmieJo
07-21-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't think that you will have too much trouble with swapping out tanks.

V
07-22-2007, 10:47 PM
I'd consider having an area for a refugium.

only if your planned on harrnessing natures bio agents as apart of your set-up carmie. If is a FO or basic reef a fuge isn't always needed unless your cultivating food types for your animals.

CarmieJo
07-22-2007, 10:56 PM
only if your planned on harrnessing natures bio agents as apart of your set-up carmie. If is a FO or basic reef a fuge isn't always needed unless your cultivating food types for your animals.

Definitely not necessary but I like it for nutrient export. My nitrates went to zero when I started growing macroalgae. My sixline likes it for pods. :)