PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my BIG tank

PhotoJohn
07-17-2007, 04:48 PM
I scored today! I just got a 190g all glass (so heavy 5 guys almost died moving it :showoff: ) with a stand, return pump, and a used RO/DI unit. The system is new and totally unused! I was driving home and 1 block from my house a guy had a sign "190g tank and pumps only $500" so I turned around and drove to his house nearly giving myself whip lash mind you. It was there gleaming like a star, singing to me. I fell head over heels in love with the big beautiful buick of a tank :heart: . I guess there are things in life that are better big. Anyway, I know my wife wont share my excitement and I thought you all would! So, hurray! Go me! Thank you Jesus! (I'm pretty happy) I guess my tang will have some swimming room now...heck I could even swim with him...

wwest
07-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Congrads, :) but your forgetting about pictures :)

Small Fry
07-17-2007, 05:30 PM
i agree with wes on this one, lets see some pics of teh beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sounds like a very nice score man, congrats

jmgpr7
07-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Need some Pic to see it !!!!

PSH
07-17-2007, 05:48 PM
I see lots of guys with signs around here. None ever say anything reef related.:fire:

Oh here is some more signs for you http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/PonderosaSnakeHouse/needpics.gif

CarmieJo
07-17-2007, 07:22 PM
S-c-o-r-e!

rayme07
07-17-2007, 09:43 PM
I agree need some pics

PhotoJohn
07-18-2007, 03:54 AM
Alright some pics...
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/Photo_John/tank1.jpgthis is the tank from the back. Where it is in my apt right now makes it impossible to get a view from the front.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/Photo_John/tank2.jpgI found this to be an odd overflow. It is a custom built all glass tank but I dont understand how the overflows work exactly. I am thinking of glueing some notched plastic to the inside of the overflows to be more of a surface skimming overflow. Anyone ever encountered something like this?
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/Photo_John/tank3.jpgthis is the view of one of the overflows from above. Flat glass...a bit confusing to me.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/Photo_John/tank4.jpgThe inside of the overflow. It has 2 bulkheads for each overflow...why?

I think I may have gotten a bit over my head here as it was custom built and looking at it more closely (the overflows) it may have been done different from normal. It came with a little giant pump which looks to be unused as well. However I dont know the flow rate, it is a model 2-mdqx-sc 3000 rpm 131 watt pump...if anyone knows please inform me...I will be searching the web for an answer to the flow question. Flow is going to be a problem as the guy I got it from didnt remember or never knew the flow rate of the overflows. I still think its pretty awesome but I am getting a bit afraid I'm going to drown in the unknowns of the tank...

PhotoJohn
07-18-2007, 04:01 AM
the big black bar which looks to be a vertical running down the middle of the tank in the first pic is really just a board leaning on the kitchen wall...

PhotoJohn
07-18-2007, 04:22 AM
its a 770gph pump...seems a bit lacking for a 190g tank

Seahorsedreams
07-18-2007, 12:05 PM
That pump is waaaaaaay not gonna do it.

You're looking at another couple 100 bucks for a pump (or two).

You're gonna have to put teeth on that overflow. In a custom seahorse tank I had I didn't include teeth in the design. I think it was about a 2" gap on the back of the tank. A whole freaking 6" seahorse went over the falls. I couldn't believe it.

With a couple little fixes that will be an AWESOME tank.

Seahorsedreams
07-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Oh, and the large bulkhead was to drain to the sump and the smaller was the return. Pretty standard. You just need to make a cheap standpipe.

Ohhhhhh... that's a clear overflow. You should probable consider putting a black backround on that tank and then cut acrylic to cover the panels that are visible. You don't wanna have to see the standpipes and you certainly don't want a tank without one. Not with that kind of drop..... louder than niagra.

Small Fry
07-18-2007, 12:31 PM
the answere to your two bulkheads question is something i can provide you with :D
I recently purchased a 180, much like your actually. The way he had it set up was with a durso (to the sump) most likely the bigger bulkhead, and then a return coming from the sump (the smaller bulkhead). Limits the "messiness" of the tank, means you can go right up against the wall (you don't need to run pipes behind), limits the amount of pipe, and just looks more proffessional.

If you do not get what i mean i can run out to my 180 (won't be setting up for a while) to snap some pics for ya.

And NEVER feel like you are over your head on any project. worst case scenario you wait a week or two to get your head wrapped around things. But all you have to do is ask an simple question, and you have a GREAT resource here in the good ppl of TR. And you will have your questions answered. We are here to ensure that you get through your journey happily, and safely.

SEAHORSE!!!!!!!!!!! u beat me while i was tryping :'( :p

PhotoJohn
07-18-2007, 12:31 PM
so the smaller return hole needs to be fitted with a pvc pipe or flex tubing to run it back up to the top and into the tank? I was wondering how I was going to get a return line in, guess that fixes the problem.

How did you attach the aptly named "teeth" to your seahorse tank overlow? Would epoxy do the job, or aquarium silacone (sp) both? Would it be okay to use acryllic or do I need to stick with glass since the entire tank is glass?

Thank you for your help :)

p.s. thanks for the encouragement!

Small Fry
07-18-2007, 12:34 PM
you could most likely use acrylic and then weld-on to attach??

And the return should be fitted with a pvs pipe to the top of the overflow, and then loc-line at the top (you want to use as little as possible loc-line becuase it can be expensive (to your wallet, and your Flow)

Small Fry
07-18-2007, 12:36 PM
speaking of niagra, i would HIGHLY reccomend you figure out a way to fit a durso in there, it will be quiter, and it wil add to your water volume. If you do make covers and paint it black, it will act as a place for beneficiall spnges to grow, a "dark, high flow fuge" if you will. Not saying it will replace a real fuge, but every little bit helps XD

I aslo reccomend painting the back black, it looks very clean once finished and makes colours stand out a bit more.

PhotoJohn
07-18-2007, 12:40 PM
cool. I had to look up loc-line to figure out what it was but I have been worndering for some time what loc-line was. People have it in all their reef tanks yet my LFS doesnt carry it! Stupid LFS.

also I was on ebay and saw an 800GPH sub. pond pump (at 12ft lift) and was curious if the little giant 770 and the 800 gph together could do the job or if I should just sell the 770/keep as a back up and buy one big pump? If I should just buy one big one any ideas how big it may need to be?

thanks

PhotoJohn
07-18-2007, 12:41 PM
when painting a tank you pain the outside back or the inside back? I have never painted a tank before.

PhotoJohn
07-18-2007, 12:44 PM
I just looked up durso...it looks like a great idea! If I was using a durse would it be a good idea or a bad idea to place reef rubble (a few inches) at the bottom of the overflows?

Small Fry
07-18-2007, 12:47 PM
heres a little pic for ya ( i know it sux but i didnt take the time to make it pretty :p

this is what kind of piece you should be looking to make for the overflows.

OR (just thinking of this after i finish making that, of course) you could simply attack some sort of grating to the overflows, most likely swerving the same perpose, anywho, heres ur drawing

Small Fry
07-18-2007, 12:50 PM
i have only ever painted the back outside of the tank. Im sure you can probably find paint that is okay for underwater, marine situations. If not, you can always grow some green star polyps on the overflows to cover them up, thats ALWAYS a cool look.

I don't really know about the LR rubb le at the bottom. i guess it can't be that bad of an idea, as you won't be getting much flow down there, i would just reccomend then that you leave the outside glass behind the overflows clear if you do that, this way you can moniter it and make sure nothing is growing that you don't wont growing, or anything is stuck, yadda yadda

PhotoJohn
07-18-2007, 12:50 PM
hey looks good to me. helpful thanks.

PhotoJohn
07-18-2007, 12:53 PM
I just read a cool tip on dursos. If you put some air tubing into the durso opast the t-pipe it will stop any gurgling...I guess I'll c if it will work.

Improving your Durso (http://www.fishfurfeather.com/articles.php?article=improving_your_durso)

Small Fry
07-18-2007, 12:54 PM
btw, im not sure if the pond pump will work for this application. Don't quote me on this but im pretty sure that pond pumps are not shielded the way marine pumps are, in that all the parts are not rustproof, and able to handle the salt, once again, not sure. So wait for a second opinion. Just a piece fo info, i have 3200 gph circulation pump in my 5' 120, along with 800gph return from refugium.
Not saying your won't work, just wanted you to see whats out there before you jump right in.

see my thread to see what im talking about http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/member-tank-projects/1916-small-frys-120-a.html

PhotoJohn
07-18-2007, 01:01 PM
wow. now thats alot of flow! Why the 800gph from the fuge and not the 3200? lower flow through the fuge is better right? Is it a good idea to have a return pump (from the fuge) and then an alternate pump for extra circulation? I have sps coral and softies (as we know from the coral naming pod cast that doesnt mean alot but ...). I suppose if I use a circulation pump I wont have to buy a bunch of equally or excessively expensive power heads.

PhotoJohn
07-18-2007, 01:01 PM
thanks for the heads up on the pond pumps. I'll research it a bit.

CarmieJo
07-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Wow! That tank is going to be impressive. I've only ever heard of people painting the outside of a tank.

Small Fry
07-18-2007, 09:35 PM
i don't know if you looked at my thread, but my 3200 gph pump is strictly circulation, does not go through the fuge @ all. This way only the 800 gph goes thru the fuge (porolly less than 800 gph, the pump is a mag 12, running @ half flow, so my overflows work properly).

Anywho, i prefer the look of descreet piping (all pipes are behind my rock, so it looks as natural as possible) over powerheads, so i opted for this. Be aware though, my circulation system has 3 holes drilled for it; an intake, and two returns.

I duno what you could workout with your tank, but drilling was the way i did it. and i am extremely impressed with the clean and natural outlook i got out with./

PhotoJohn
07-19-2007, 01:44 AM
I did look at your tank thread. You have done an amazing amount of work and your parents are amazingly supportive both emotionally and financially! I hope you are really thankful :) I am sure you are from reading the thread. I like the drilled look but I dont necessarily want to rish the tank or try to move it again. That tank is SO HEAVY...OMG why didnt they make it out of acryllic? I think I might use my 770 little giant for either a big skimmer or to run as a circulation pump. I have has salt for a bit over a year and they have all been skimmer free. If i use the 770 gph pump on a big downdraft/venturi skimmer (its rated for 900gph pump but I dont have one and I have this) is the water coming out of the skimmer under pressure or does it just trickle out? I think it just gravity flows out but???If not could it be piped back in as powerhead like loc-line directly out of the skimmer?

thanks

Small Fry
07-19-2007, 03:35 AM
i get where you are going with this, but it won't work. The more piping you have coming out of your skimmer, the wetter it is going to run (the higher you need to raise it from the water). The skimmer is the one thing you can't really toy with aside from gate valve mods, recirc mods, etc... Im not savvy with ALL of the skimmer types, but from what i know, it mostly just trickles, HTH

(and don't worry, i am VERY thankful for my parents :p)

Small Fry
07-19-2007, 03:37 AM
btw, there is something on the market in between drillign and a powerhead. Don't know the exact name of it, but its by tunze, and its basically a motor on the outside of the tank, connected by magnet to a prop on the inside of teh tank (u have to see it to know what im talking about exactly....) but its not sooooo clunky that it becomes an eyesore in the tank, and with one at each end you will get HUGE flow.

I believe Jaybedriften has one on his tank (not sure) but u might want to check it out

Seahorsedreams
07-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Here's a thread I made about how to build a standpipe. I don't call it a durso because the idea has been around forever... way before someone decided to name it after themselves.

DIY Standpipe (http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/diy-projects/2890-build-your-own-standpipe.html)

JustDavidP
07-19-2007, 11:49 AM
I don't call it a durso because the idea has been around forever... way before someone decided to name it after themselves.

How do ya REALLY feel about it 'nee *giggle* ;)

JustDavidP
07-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Hey... I followed that same article.. and made this:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/JustDavidP/DursoSectioned.jpg

For this:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/JustDavidP/DursonDone.jpg

So...what I'm saying... is... she' knows her stuff ;) Her article/thread is a good'un.

Dave

PhotoJohn
07-19-2007, 01:55 PM
The strainer is a great idea! I was wondering how I was going to keep big stuff from possibly getting sucked up/blocking the pipe.

CarmieJo
07-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Jay actually uses a Vortech EcoTech Marine (http://www.ecotechmarine.com/products/vortech.htm) in his tank.

JayBeDriften
07-20-2007, 12:02 AM
The VorTech is what I have and I love the thing so much! I'm actually pondering getting another so that I can have them both running at about half their power to minimize stress on one pump. But its a definite plus for any Reef Tank. Just don't put nudibranchs in with it :-(

PhotoJohn
07-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Got my fuge yesterday...A 75g for about $100

PhotoJohn
07-29-2007, 12:40 PM
I was curious if anyone has used sand from a place like Lowes for their tanks. I dont really want to buy 5 bags of $20 a bag sand if I can avoide it. If so what sand can I use for the tank. Someone said something about non silica sand...I was just curious what exactly to look for. Thanks...

JayBeDriften
07-29-2007, 03:11 PM
I was curious if anyone has used sand from a place like Lowes for their tanks. I dont really want to buy 5 bags of $20 a bag sand if I can avoide it. If so what sand can I use for the tank. Someone said something about non silica sand...I was just curious what exactly to look for. Thanks...

PhotoJohn, there has been much of a debat from buying sand at Lowes or Home Depot that we have come to a definitive answer from the helps of our good friend Veriann. South Down was the name of the company that at one time you could purchase at these home improvements store. But not any more. Carib-Sea is now really the only major importer or Reef Sand for aquariums. Any sand purchased from Lowes or Home Depot definitely contains massive amounts of silicate which as we all know is extremely harmful to our aquatic buddies. So the unfortunate fact is that were are stuck paying $20.00 to $30.00 per bag of Reef Sand for our aquariums. Not a bad price to pay to ensure that we are providing a safe habitat for our little ones.

CarmieJo
07-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Actually in Reef Invertebrates (pg 33) it says "Depending on there being other ready sources of biomineral and alkaline reserve, there may be no significant disadvantage to calcite or silica, but aragonite has a distinct advantage of dissolving at a significantly higher pH than calcite (and silica does not impart any buffering minerals by dissolution at all) which makes it a much better buffer in the marine aquarium." This says that aragonite will help maintain alkalinity better but silica is not harmful. If you choose to use silica sand you will have to use more buffer in your tank.

There has been a misconception that because diatoms use silica in their cell wall that silica sand will contribute to diatom blooms. However I have not been able to find any evidence of this. Silica, which also makes up the glass in your aquarium, is inert. I have been researching this because I am going to pull the crushed coral substrate that came with my nano and replace it with a DSB. If I can't find aragonite play sand I think I am going to use silica.

You can test sand to see if it is aragonite by putting a little bit in vinegar and seeing if it dissolves.

Phurst
07-29-2007, 09:42 PM
I was under the same impression. The silica in quartz sand is not soluble in water. That being said, I have aragonite sand in my tank for whatever limited buffering capacity it offers. I searched high and low for months, as far south as NC, north as PA and west as Ohio looking for aragonite sand at home improvement certers, and never found a single bag. I bit the bullet and just bought from my LFS.

CarmieJo
07-29-2007, 09:56 PM
I've got what might be the last bag of Old Castle (like Southdown) in the world waiting to go into my big tank when I move it back to the living room. That MUST happen this week because my in-laws will be here next week. The one time 5" DSB is down to about 3.5" and I already have Southdown in it so I don't want to use the bag I've got for the nano. I've been looking at lots places for aragonite play sand too.

V
07-30-2007, 03:55 AM
firstly i cant comment on anything american, cause im an ethopian/mexican/igloo building hippy, so if i gave advice on south down & you belived it, then here have another can of BS.

Looking at the overflow sitch, the overflow wall looks solid, im assuming your plumbing the intermodial pipe over the overflow wall & then into the tank. Messy if you ask me, i dont like the idea because your only got high line returns, remembering the futher your extensions enter the water the more potential your lowest siphon point becomes during kill switch operation without one way valves in play.
Closed loop or internal circulation pumps will be needed for the lower reaches, ether drilled plumbing or hang on DIY type, internal pumps can be anything. If you plan to drill, id suggest 2 differn approaches, 1st making the returns in the overflow criticle overflow dump pipes(still room enough for your durso) & drill your extra holes for the returns & closed loops. 2) use the currect configuation with returns over the overflow wall, & plumb it into a plenum spray system thats dirrected to the front viewing glass sweeping to the bottom. Your strategicly possitioned closed loop or internal pumps will then kick everthing into suspension to be scooped out via the overflow. When your refering to niagra falls, the durso (still respect the coined version SHD) the water level in the overflow section will be dictated by the hight of you standpipe.

Im not a huge fan of the drill & plumb tubing techneque. Limited only by salt creep & you done. Personally, small scale doesn't matter, however if your talking decent water volumes, then i always use the floating cap to regulate. Large scale can sometimes make little things a major issue. So tried & proven works for me.

good luck PJ, Just dont skimp on the pumps even though quality may seem greatly over-priced, theres always a reason when it comes to pumps. German or good quality american gear is your ticket.