PDA

View Full Version : Iso. phytoplankton?

angnak
07-11-2007, 09:52 PM
I just got through listening to a few pod/videocast. Great job Rob!! A wonderful site you have here. I noticed Rob said he was switching to Iso over nanno because Mike(?) was explaining the better nutritional values. After reading that it is not much harder to raise than nanno, but never really saw any post that said if there were any additonal steps that were needed to grow the Iso. So I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to grow Iso or just tell me to go the same route as nanno? I am about to order everything here soon and just trying to make sure I get everything I need.

Thanks again

CarmieJo
07-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Hi angnak, where are you from in NC?

angnak
07-13-2007, 11:34 AM
I am in Charlotte

CarmieJo
07-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Nice city. I don't grow my own phyto so I don't have an answer to your question. Why don't you post it over here http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/algagen/529-algagen.html. Eric is the algae king. :)

Paintbug
07-13-2007, 10:12 PM
to get a balanced diet of fatty acids you should grow both nanno and iso cultures (at least thats my understanding). the more species of phyto the better in most cases. culturing either one of those is about the same, but you want to be real careful with cross-contamination with them.

JeffDubya
07-18-2007, 01:47 PM
I run Iso and Tetraselmis on a 24 hour schedule. I got my starter cultures from Alga-Gen. Just make sure you fertilize adequately. For a one gallon jug, I fertilize twice weekly using F2, also from alga-gen

Both strains are hardy and easy to keep provided you illuminate, sanitize and fertilize.

Rob
07-26-2007, 07:42 PM
i have not posted any detailed description on raising the T.Iso
the main differences is that the starter cultures take a bit more care to get up to par, and then once they are going i found that adding a bit of fertilizer between splits was needed to get the densities desired. this fall i hope to detail this in a video