PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Watchman Gobie color problem.

Ron Guiness
07-11-2007, 12:13 AM
Hello everyone, been awhile. I have a question that requires some gobie expertise. I recently added some tank mates to my 55gal aquarium. I had 3 green chromies, and various hermit crabs and snails. Over the last month I have added
1 arrow crab
1 coral banded shrimp
1 dotty back
1 sand sifting star
3 small emerald crabs
and last about 3 days ago my favorite
1 Yellow Watchman Gobie

The problem I'm having, if it is a problem, is today my gobie seems to have lost its coloration. It was a very bright yellow, and now the yellow has become very dull and drab. He has been eating well, (brine and mysis shrimp) and has claimed a spot under some rock to build a home. Today he has eaten well but has been out of his home all day. The coloration kinda looks like he is trying to blend in with the sand and various shells on the ground. I'm not sure if the coloration or behavior is normal, so if anyone has any insight it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ron Guiness

wwest
07-11-2007, 09:54 AM
I would try feeding mysis more than anything, it sounds like its under the weather and I'm not sure how bad. I would for sure keep an eye on him and if you have anything with more protein i would see if he'll eat that.

Also i would keep an eye on that arrow crab and smaller inhabitants. They are known to lunge at smaller or equal sized fish. I have seen it once at the store and after the arrow crab stabbed the fish we separated the 2 and the fish died abot 30 minutes later.

Ron Guiness
07-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Well this is kinda weird but my little trooper is back to normal. Color is great again and he is pretty active. Thanks for the tip about the arrow I will keep an eye on him, he seems to get along fine with everyone. I was really worried about the coral shrimp and the arrow crab as people have said that they wouldn't get along to well but they seem fine together too. I'm going to start feeding mysis two to three times a day now. I have heard that sometimes it takes gobies up to two weeks to get fully acclimated to their new homes so I hope that is all it is. Thanks again, Ill keep up dates on the situation.

Thanks again
Ron Guiness

Russel P
07-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Mine looks drab every morning when I first turn the lights on and is bright after an hour or so. Lots of fish do this, I wouldn't be concerned if everything else seems normal.

Ron Guiness
07-11-2007, 08:58 PM
I was just watching him again for a little while and he seemed to change colors when I walked up to the tank. I think I startled him. Do gobies have camo defense? Also does anyone know if they are more apt to eat at night. I have seen him pretty active swimming in the mid region of the tank after dark.