PDA

View Full Version : Anyone With A LOT of Computer Knowlegde ??HELP

keyozoxmfc
07-10-2007, 08:15 PM
PLEASE, i know this is really random, but i really need help with a computer problem. ill copy and paste my post from a computer forum. i appreciate any help anyone can give me.

I just built a new computer with all parts from newegg, except my case was from amazon.

Case-Antec NineHundred

MoBo-Asus M2M-E Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP

Processor- AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+(65w) Windsor 2.0GHZ

Video Card- EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB PCI-E x16

RAM-Corsair XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2800(6400) SDRAM

PSU-OCZ GameXStream ATX 12V 600W

DVD-Sony NEC Optiarc 18x DVD+ - R Sata Model (AD-7170S-0B)

Hard Drive- Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS SATA 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM 16MB Cache 250 Gb

Problem- A friend and I recently put the computer together and plugged it all in. And I switched around the placement of some drives and plugged it back in. It still worked. I could open up the BIOs and everything, but I don't have my windows CD yet. Then I plugged in my Plantronics headset just to see how it looked plugged in, and BAM, all my fans stopped, and everything just shut off. Now I have took apart, and rebuilt my computer, and it STILL doesn't power up.

NaClFinatic
07-10-2007, 08:42 PM
1. I assume you have the headset unplugged now.
2. If you have another power supply that is adequate for your equipment try that.
3. Also you can try completely disconnecting any of the drives and any USB devices beyond the keyboard to see if you can just get to BIOS. (Also remove any otehr add on cards such as sound card, etc.) Just try to narrow it down.

Hopefully its just a PS issue. Check the PS for fuses also.

NaClFinatic
07-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Oh and make sure your power supply is set to 110 Volts! Most of them have a switch for 110 or 220 (or whatever it is they use in canada or europe or wherever its for).

keyozoxmfc
07-10-2007, 08:56 PM
thanks a lot. well it doesnt have a switch for me, which i think means its auto switching. i do not have access to a adequate powersupply, but i have tried unplugging the USB and Headset thing for the front panel and i still didnt turn on. my headset is no longer plugged in.

however, i am unsure of what you said above. should i disconnect the cd drive and hard drive , but leave the graphics card, ram and processor?

thanks for your help. i had to convince my parents to finally let me buy parts and build it, so if this ends up not working..theyre going to kill me. i also feel really upset too

keyozoxmfc
07-10-2007, 08:57 PM
oh yeah also i waas thinking that it might be either the motherboard or the case it self since it WAS running fine before. until i plugged in the headset. unless the powersupply just died like that?

Phurst
07-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Are the USB ports integrated to the MB, or are they on a PCI card, or integrated into the case and connected to the MB? Sounds like you fried somthing. Does the fan in the power supply come on? If not, it sounds like the PS, if so, it's likely the MB.

NaClFinatic
07-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Unfortunately you end up needing a bunch of spare parts to diagnose what doesnt work on your own. Thats the hard part when these things dont work.

Yes unplug the hard drive and cdrom. Nothing is there to boot of course but you shoudl at least see a BIOS screen or a no OS message.

Is the PS fan at least running when you try to power it on? Do the drives spin up? Do you see any keyboard lights flash or anything? If using a USB keyboard then a PS2 type keyboard. Try continuously strking the key used to enter the BIOS.

If no lights fan or anythign then it may be more likely the mobo or the power switch. Did yo uplug the headset into the front panel jack? Sometimes those are on a little circuit card with the power switch and all the wires run back to the mobo together. a short or miswire there coudl have damaged something.

If you do have lights and fans and it seems to boot maybe but no display the ouput may be goign to a different display output. Try switching where your monitor is plugged in or somethimes there is a hotkey to switch which display is used.