PDA

View Full Version : sick candy cane

PhotoJohn
07-06-2007, 01:25 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/Photo_John/candycane.jpg
This coral was wonderful and growing but I moved it into my larger tank and it is not doing well. All my levels are good. The 46g tank has a 400watt MH and I was wondering if it was just getting too much light? The coral used to have a bluish center and pink rim. I moved it to the very bottom of my tank and I am hoping it was light.

Seahorsedreams
07-06-2007, 02:00 AM
Is that a question or a statement?

PhotoJohn
07-06-2007, 02:52 AM
I was curious if to much light can cause a candy cane to shrink and look like this or if it could be something else?

Seahorsedreams
07-06-2007, 01:48 PM
lol Did you edit the first post? I swear the description wasn't there last night.... but I was chasing around registry spybots all night so the computer could have been acting kindda funky.

I guess it could be the light. Corals definately bleach when they are getting too much. But that candy cane of yours is going to be hard pressed to come back from whatever damage it received.

Sounds like it was very pretty.

lReef lKeeper
07-06-2007, 05:41 PM
sounds to me like lighting shock. this happens when we move corals from lower light to higher light to fast. when ever you get a new coral ... NEVER place them high in the tank (unless they can from a tank with the same or close to the same lighting, and were NOT shipped to you). i would place it on the bottom and in a lower light area for a week or so (less if it starts making a comeback), and keep your fingers crossed. it does not look good, but it only takes one single cell to revive the colony or regrow a colony. HTH and good luck with it.

R. Deschain
07-06-2007, 10:21 PM
WARNING: This post does not in any way add to the discussion...

1) PhotoJohn: When I saw the title 'Sick Candy Cane' I was expecting to see a really cool candy coral that you just put in your tank. (ie. in contemporary parlance 'sick' = 'surpisingly good')

2) Seahorsedreams: "I was chasing around registry spybots all night" - not knowing much about computers, or whatever that is - it can't be as interesting as it sounds!

Anyway...I hope your coral recovers!

Good Luck :)