PDA

View Full Version : Moving a mushroom

R. Deschain
06-20-2007, 09:26 PM
I have a mushroom coral that came in a shell instead of on a piece of live rock. Since the shell is round, wherever i put it, it rocks back & forth. I'd like to move it onto a rock, but it's stuck firmly to the shell. How aggressive can I be in getting it off the shell?

Thanks

Phurst
06-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Mushrooms are incredibly tough. Just chop it off. As far as getting it attached somewhere else, that's another story. It'll attach quickly, in a couple of days, the trick is keeping it in the same place. I guess you could loosely rubberband it in place, or cover it with some netting to hold it against a rock. If you have some rubble, put it in a small glass or jar, drop the mushroom on top and put it in your tank for a week. It'll attach to a piece in that time.

Russel P
06-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Agreed. If your water conditions and lighting are to it's favor, you could cut it up like a pizza and have several small coralimorph polyps. Even if you cut it, if enough of the foot is left, another one will grow back in that shell.

lReef lKeeper
06-20-2007, 10:47 PM
just epoxy the shell to the rock where you want it and before you know it (with the right conditions) there will be to may shrooms to even know that the shell is there.