PDA

View Full Version : Volitan Lionfish

BoB_27
06-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Will a Volitan Lion be okay with Corals?

Thanks Nate

Amphibious
06-05-2007, 10:21 AM
The short answer is yes. But having a Lion Fish prompts a few more questions.

You are probably aware they are poisonous. While their "sting" is not usually fatal, it can pose serious medical conditions. I was stung once and that was enough. The pain was excruciating for several hours and then subsided over the next few days. The hospital, in WI, wasn't familiar with Lion fish stings so there was some delay in treatment while they contacted the Poison Center. Because the sting was minor there wasn't much they could do. I toughed it out, OUCH! A friend of mine received a full blown deep penetration sting and wound up in the hospital (same one) for five days in serious trouble at first. The swelling, pain and trauma to his arm lasted months. He got out of the hobby after that experience.

What size aquarium are you planning on keeping the Volitans?

What are you planning on feeding it?

Do you have children?

Will you have anyone else care for your tank when you are on vacation?

All these concerns must be taken into account because all Lion fish are poisonous, have specific requirements and can cause some alarming situations to arise. Most, if not all, stings in captivity is caused from carelessness on the part of the hobbyist or unsuspecting caretaker while you are on vacation. Be aware, be careful and inform your children and caretakers of the danger.

Dick

BoB_27
06-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Amphibious,

As of right now I have a 90 Gal DT, thinking of a 180 Gal.

This guy eats large Krill, Silver Sides, and Chromises.

I don’t have children just me and the wife.

I finally made friends with my LFS part owner and has agreed to watch my tank for me as long as I watch his for him.

This is what I have so far, after my ICH attack. All of them are in a Hospital tanks but the Tang, Mandarin, and Boxing Crab.

My Corals and Rocks are in another set of Hospital Tanks. I am in the process of new sand and water, for the DT. Should be done tonight.

Large Maroon Clownfish 4 ½ - 5 inches, Yellow and purple Frogfish 3 ½ - 4 inches, Red Sailfin Tang 4 – 4 ½ inches (I want out of the tank but he to hard to catch), Spotted Mandarin 2 – 2 ½ inches, (He doesn’t leave my rock work and is unable to get him, he was like that from day 1), Exquisite Fairy Wrasse 3 ¾ - 4 inches, Yellow Head Moray Eel 12 – 14 inches, Fire Cleaner Shrimp 4 – 4 ½ inches, Harlequin Shrimp 3 ½ - 4 inches, Boxing Crab (I see him like once a week, seen him last night), and Sand Sifting Cucumber 5 – 5 ½ inches.

The Lion is 4 ½ - 5 inches.

All I want in the tank once I get it set back up is:
Maroon Clownfish, Frogfish, Yellow Head Moray Eel, Volitan Lionfish, along with my corals and Long Tip Anemone. I still will have my Hermit Crabs (10), Astrea Snail (20), Fire Cleaner Shrimp, and Harlequin Shrimp.

I’m in the Air about putting the Sand Sifting Cucumber back in the tank. LFS has a Yellow Head Goby that’s like 7 – 8 inches long (The biggest guy I have seen).

Maybe this is bad idea, I don’t know??????? What do you guys think? If it works it will be an awesome Reef Tank in my eyes.

Thanks for everything.

Nate

immunetek
06-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Well I got stung by my juvenille volitan last week by being careless with feeding but I still think he is the best fish in the world!

Go for it is my thought, just be careful

lReef lKeeper
06-05-2007, 09:30 PM
all of Dick's concerns are right on !! do you know exactly how big these fish get ?? they get upwards of 15 inches !! most BOOKS say that a minimum tank size of 55gal. is recommended, BUT that is WAAAY to small IMHO. i think that even the 180 you are "thinking about" is a bit on the small side for one of these massive fish. at 15 inches long the fish would have a hard time moving around with all of the rock and everything else in the tank. not to mention the room ON the rocks that they use to "lay around".

dont get me wrong ... i LOVE these fish, and they are PART of my reason for getting into the hobby. until you get the 180, i would leave the lion out of the picture. just my opinion, but i hope it helps.

Amphibious
06-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Nate,

Your Volitans, at his current size, is OK in a 90 for now. While their maximum size is listed at 15" in the wild, captive specimans seldom reach full size. Mostly, this is due to space/growth restrictions. However, I would begin planning the move to a 180 eventually.

One of the attitudes I find amoung reef keepers is, "I want it now and even though it reachs 10' in the wild, it's only a 6" baby, it's so cute, and I can put it in my 55 where he has lots of room and when he gets too big I'll give him away or, get a bigger tank or, take it to the Shedd Aquarium or, I only live an hour from the Ocean, I'll let it go back to it's natural home." All of which are WRONG, of course, and practises we must learn to avoid ourselves and discourage in others!!! Not at all implying anything toward you, Nate. Just my morning, RANT, before having my coffee. :rotfl:

Seahorsedreams
06-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Ummm.... the volitan or the frog will eat the clown and mandarin.... and sooner than ya think. Even if they can't eat the smaller fish at their present size they could try and both involved could die. I wouldn't even put the frog and the lion in the same tank not to speak of the bioload of these guys. Indeed very pretty but inappropriate.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/seahorsedreams/fish/voli6.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/seahorsedreams/fish/volfull2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/seahorsedreams/fish/angelpost.jpg
Thought I would share some pics of my guy.