PDA

View Full Version : return pump

3mm3
06-03-2007, 08:03 PM
I have an ocean runner 3500 for my return pump. Does anyone have experience with this pump? My pump seems to run really hot and I was wondering if anyone else has had this same issue?

CarmieJo
06-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Not with this brand, but I bought some cheap Jebo pumps to replace some Rio 2500's. Both seem to run equally as hot. I'm thinking that since they both take 70 watts hat that is the reason. I am looking at replacing them with some Quiet One 3000's. They only use 40 watts so it seems to me that they should run cooler.

cmay
06-06-2007, 02:46 PM
I always feel inadequate when replying to queries due to my limited experience and I'm sure you have checked the following: :blush:

(Washes, Grit and Shaft) any form of friction will cause heat, maybe something was a miss when packaged at the factory if new (I've always been under the impression ocean runners are a good brand)

CarmieJo
06-06-2007, 04:47 PM
We could run an experiment. If you put known volume water in a bucket, record the beginning temperature, put a clean pump in the water, start the pump and record the temperature every 10 minutes until it stabilizes. Then we could see how fast a given pump heats the water and what is the maximum temperature that it reaches. You could then chart this information along with the capacity and wattage of various pumps. What do you think? Would you be interested in helping? If we could get enough types of pumps I would be happy to write the information up and publish it in ReefReaders.

cmay
06-06-2007, 06:58 PM
We could run an experiment. If you put known volume water in a bucket, record the beginning temperature, put a clean pump in the water, start the pump and record the temperature every 10 minutes until it stabilizes. Then we could see how fast a given pump heats the water and what is the maximum temperature that it reaches. You could then chart this information along with the capacity and wattage of various pumps. What do you think? Would you be interested in helping? If we could get enough types of pumps I would be happy to write the information up and publish it in ReefReaders.

That would make a useful comparison chart.

I have a few pumps I could test if your interested.

3mm3
06-06-2007, 08:40 PM
WOW I like this idea. I have 3 pumps that we could use for this experiment.
I have
ocean runner 3500
mag 12
and some sort of rio pump

I will test these this weekend in a bucket of water and let you know what I find.
:up:
Mark

salt-rookie
06-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Try a chiller????

3mm3
06-06-2007, 09:57 PM
I do not want to use a chiller. I am looking for a pump that can perform without making so much extra heat. Tank runs 10 degrees hotter than inside temps. Found that the pump just seems too warm. Getting ready to change out pump.

CarmieJo
06-06-2007, 11:36 PM
OK, lets run with the experiment. Is anyone else interested in participating as a tester?

To make the results meaningful we need a consistent procedure.. I found that 2L of water in a tall thin pail that holds about a gallon or so of water works fine. If you don't have a relatively tall thin bucket you may have to go to 3L of water. The pump should be cleaned and allowed to cool to room temperature before beginning the experiment. Here is what to report to me by 6/15:

Pump Brand and Model
Maximum Flow
Watts
Volume of Water Used
Beginning Water Temperature
10 Minute Interval Temperatures
Final Water Temperature
Time

Is there anything else that you can think of?

Phurst
06-07-2007, 12:13 AM
Ohhh, sounds interesting!

I have a couple of different pumps I can try. Mag 7, MJ 1200, Korila 4 and maybe a few others. I'll have to find a suitable bucket. Oh, or did you just want return type pumps?

The Shan Man
06-07-2007, 11:55 AM
I run a Mag 12 and it is cool... I have never felt heat coming off it... Still this would be a good experiment.

Astrivian
06-07-2007, 01:40 PM
I have the Mag 24 and 2 MJ 1200s. One thing to consider is any extraneous variables. One other measurement i would take is the ambient air temperature in the room. Also, a description of the bucket and some photos would be good too. Some variables to control for would be: light, water turbulence, air temp, air movement around the bucket, and even what type of thermometer you are using. It would help the validity of the experiment if we all ran it under roughly the same conditions: a dark room with no air movement (maybe a closet). Also, we should consider some ways to cut down on the amount of turbulence on the water as this will blow off heat. This probably wont be a big deal for the smaller pumps, but the Mags tend to make a mess. Perhaps the larger pumps could use more water and be turned on their sides.

I am not pessimistic here, just suggesting. This is a great idea for a study, and am more than willing to help.

CarmieJo
06-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Can one of the mods merge this thread with this one? http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/general-marine-discussions/4433-calling-all-scientists.html

I am going to put all further information in that thread.

xrock06x
08-17-2007, 04:10 PM
alot of people run external pump through a drilled sump it keeps the motor out of the water and and water is cooler