PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Asap!!!!

BoB_27
06-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Last week I went on Vacation and had a friend watch/feed the tank for me. He came over everyday twice a day for a week so I could teach him what to do. He also took 3 pages of notes and I gave him emergency phone numbers to get a hold of me and LFS and the guy that owns LFS home number. I even had all the food prepared for him; all he had to do was defrost and add to the tank. I thought we covered everything and had back up plans all covered. Guess not!

I ended up losing three fish Yellow Eye, Powder Brow Tang and 1 Orange Diamond Goby. Sunday when I got home I check my levels right away.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: .25
Nitrates: 20
Ph: 8.4
Temp: 77
Salinity: 1.024

I have a 90 gal with a 65 gal sump (with only 22 gal of water in the sump) for a total of 112 gals. I did a 22 gal water change which is right around 20% which was Monday 28 May 07. When I woke up Tuesday morning my Blonde Naso Tang was dead and my Sailfin, Yellow Tang and Black Frogfish had ICH. I stated to add Garlic Guard with the food to help with the ICH and turned my temp up to 83 degrees (I was told ICH can’t reproduce in temp higher then 82?). I left the temp that way until Thursday night. Which the Yellow and Sailfin Tang was looking better. On the other hand the frogfish was still looking bad. Also on Thursday night I test the water again with shocking results.
Nitrates: 100 Oh my GOD!
Temp: back down to 77 from 83
Salinity: 1.022

Called my friend to confirm everything he did and come to find out he left the dead fish in the tank when I instructed him not to. His excuse was he could get to them. Man I am mad. I got the rest of the fish out last night it TOOK 2 MINUTES!!!!! I am really getting mad!!!!!!

So I hurry and mixed another 22 gals of saltwater up. Re broke down the sump/wash it out with RO water and put another clean set of filter on everything. (I keep five sets of filters, four back up pumps and one extra skimmer on hand always for stuff like this) and went to bed.

Today (Friday) when I woke up my Frogfish didn’t make it. I’m getting really depressed and ready to cry but don’t know what that’s going to help. I tested the water again:
Nitrates: 40
Temp: 77
Salinity: 1.022

Do you guys think I should do another 20% water change tonight? All of my water changes are same temperature as my tank I have never done a cold water change, should I try that? What else can I do to get my Nitrites and Nitrates down? The remaining fish are looking good and they are all using the cleaner shrimps, even the Fuzzy Lionfish. I don’t over feed if anything I think I under feed. I feed twice a day Brine Shrimp and it all gone with in 1 minute. I have 10 blue leg crabs should I get more? Maybe some Emerald Crabs? I really don’t know what to do…… I am really surprised my corals are doing fine. Look normal as always. I did notice my I’m growing new Zoos on my rock and two feather duster that were on the rock ditched there tubes and now in the sand. Thank in advance for the advice.

Nate :shout: :sick: :help:

wwest
06-01-2007, 12:36 PM
First thing i would do is make sure the temp doesn't fluctuate to much, that will stress the fish out. Try keeping the temp around 79-80. If in fact the fish still have ich i would pull them out into another tank with fresh water and low salinity. Make sure if you do this to acclimate them really really well for a few hours. Once the fish leave the tank the parasites won't have anything to host to and die off. This will take a week or two though, sometimes more. Make sure you don't lower the salinity in the DT as the low levels will harm and possibly kill your corals. Low salinity only works with fish.

As for your tank levels i would do a 10%-15% water change every 3 days untill the levels return to normal. Also you can cut your feeding down to once a day to help prevent more nitrates. I would do a water change every 3 days as this will not shock the fish. Just make sure the temp is the same with the new SW before adding it to your tank.

I would also take some water into your store and let them test it just to be sure.
I wouldn't add anything else to your tank until everything is returned to normal.
You might want to check the water you are introducing into your tank.
The more you can skim the better, So you i you have an extra skimmer use it.

Sorry to hear for your losses. I loss a few corals last year when i went on vacation. I still haven't forgave the person that was watching my tank. This year i have my local fish store owner watching it for me.

wwest
06-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Also remember that bad things happen fast. I know you want it taken care of quickly but taking your time and making sure everything comes together and nothing else is harmed is the right way to go. Just take your time, double check everything and you should be ok.

BoB_27
06-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info. I put the extra skimmer in the sump tank on my lunch break and test my Nitrates again and they drop to 20 - 30. Out of all my extra stuff I don’t have a Hospital tank and thought about buying a 29 gal bio cube. My True Clownfish had ICH but looks like she completely ICH Free. The Tangs look better every time I look at them, at least the ICH looks like it’s falling off. I can’t believe the Damsels never got ICH. I really don’t like them that much and only put them in because the wife was tired of waiting for the tank to cycle. Sorry to hear about your lose last year and I will be sure to keep everyone updated.

One more what about putting some more crabs in to clean the tank? I am going to take your advice and on feeding once a day. Should I do that Mid Day? Thanks again.

Nate

wwest
06-01-2007, 01:50 PM
You can add if you want. But the most efficient way would be syphoning the sand bed and stuff. The crabs might show a little difference but not much. You can feed whenever you want. I feed at night about 2 hours before the lights go off. Whatever works. Having a spare tank isn't a bad idea but not everyone has money or room for one. I have a QT/Hosipital tank set up as a fish tank. Unless you were in the hobby and knew about the tank you would think its just a fish tank :)

BoB_27
06-01-2007, 02:42 PM
I have a QT/Hosipital tank set up as a fish tank. Unless you were in the hobby and knew about the tank you would think its just a fish tank :) Why are they sick?

After all the money I dropped on the tank, and all the cool thing I could put in it. I didn't think about saving for a QT tank. I wish I would of now. But the lesson is learned.

wwest
06-01-2007, 02:49 PM
I leave my fish QTed for at least 3-4 weeks I have had stuff in there for 2 months before lol. But the tank looks like a normal bare bottom tank lol I had ich yet so its pretty much just been a QT tank but it might be a hospital one of these days lol

Not sure if you have read it or not but here a great article on how to QT and how to make a Qt tank

Click here (http://www.reefreaders.com/content/view/22/1/)

That might help you some.

BoB_27
06-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Cool thanks for the link. I will check it out.

BoB_27
06-01-2007, 03:30 PM
I know what i'm doing tonight. (Buying a Hybrid QT Tank system!) Thanks for the help wwest!

Nate

wwest
06-01-2007, 04:07 PM
No problem. If you need anything else just let us know.

I'm not sure if i have welcomed you or not so,...

Welcome to Talkingreef :)

CarmieJo
06-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Nate,

I too ran into problems when someone watched my tank for me while we were on vacation. It sure is frustrating!

If in fact the fish still have ich i would pull them out into another tank with fresh water and low salinity (http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/4415-need-help-asap.html#).
Just to clarify, what Wes means here is new saltwater.

Also, if you put your fish in QT for ich you will need to let your display tank sit fallow (with no fish in it at all) for 6 weeks as that is how long it takes the parasite that causes ich to go through its lifecycle. During its lifecycle it only lives on the fish for a week or less. Here is an article that explains the lifecycle. ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site - Reference - Marine "Ich" (http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html)

BoB_27
06-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks Carmie Jo, I place my fish in a hospital tank I also was told by my LFS to put the main tank back up to 83 degrees to kill the ich faster.

Thanks for everyone’s help!

Nate

Oh one more question. How would a V Lion and a Frogfish do together? The Frogfish I have is 2-3 inches long and pushing 2 inches tall. He eats like a horse 2-3 Chromis every other day. The Lionfish I was looking at is 5 inches long.

Thanks again.

BoB_27
06-04-2007, 04:35 PM
I losing my Acro from this accident, but my acro crab is still alive what should i do?

CarmieJo
06-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Nate,

Increasing your tank temp to 83 can speed up the lifecycle of the parasite. But, you won't know if it is present or not so you will still have to leave your tank to lie fallow for the entire six weeks. Otherwise you may re-introduce your fish into your display then have them develop ich again and have to start the whole process over.

wwest
06-04-2007, 09:31 PM
If you pulled your fish out and have a home for them for awhile i wouldn't worry about increasing your temp in the DT, your corals might not like it. How fast did you increase the temp?

The parasites in a tank without fish but with corals will die off on there own. Watch out how you treat the tank since there are corals still there. Since the parasites will kill them selfs off over time i would stick with that for now. Just let the fish stay in the hosipital for about 3-4 weeks. There is a chance the ich might come back but i would try this method first because it saves the chance of harming corals.

Have you treated the tank with anything or in a different manner since the acro started dieing?

One more question :)

When you do your water changes, how do you do them?