PDA

View Full Version : Put a Name to That Face at MACNA

CrazyFish
05-22-2007, 01:52 PM
I originally posted this in the "regular events forum", but thought I should start a new thread as well! I'm hoping some of you can meet up for a dinner while we're in Pittsburgh. It would be so nice to put a face with those crazy user names. Let us all know what night is best for you and then once we pick a date we can start to gather some RSVPs. I'll check with the hotel to see if their in-house restaurant will take reservations for a group. If anyone else has suggestions of where to go let us know.

As a newer member to this site I was glad to see so many of you are coming to the MACNA meeting in Pittsburgh. I was thinking it might be a nice idea to all have dinner together one night to meet face to face and discuss ideas, problems, etc. I noticed when I reserved my hotel room that there is a restaurant in the hotel. Doesn't look too fancy - serves "American" entrees, but at least we wouldn't have to drive anywhere. I'd be willing to keep a list of RSVP's and make a group reservation if others were intersted. (Although I am not the most organized person...) Does this sound like something anyone else would like to do? What night would be best for everyone? I was thinking either Thursday or Friday might be nice. If you want to bring a spouse/guest I'd say that's fine, but we'll probably bore them with our discussion. Maybe they can sit at their own table!:D

CarmieJo
05-23-2007, 12:23 AM
I'm still not sure if I can make it but if I can I think Friday is going to be better. I've got family in Pitt and may stay with them so the exact location won't make much difference to me. Want me to ask them for recommendations?

CrazyFish
05-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks for your reply. Let's hope we hear from more members! :) I saw that there is also a Houlihans attached to the mall that is attached to the hotel, so we could always try that place too. I was trying to think of a place that nobody had to drive to for dinner. Hope to see you there!

Amphibious
05-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Since MACNA actually begins on Friday, fewer people will be able to chose Thursday. I like arriving at MACNA the day before but most people, that are not exhibitors, arrive on Friday. So, I chose Friday for our TR dinner get together. Before reserving the hotel for dinner, maybe a local TR member could suggest a more interesting setting than the hotel restaurant. Any suggestions?

Dick

Merlin98
05-30-2007, 12:43 PM
What kind of food do you want, pretty much the sky's the limit, i know i can get probably 4 other people in the car with me, and i know the area well, so if i get some suggestions, i know in the outparcels of the mall, there is an Olive Garden, Chili's, Boston Market, and several other places attatched to the mall. I worked in Monroeville for 3 years, and still frequent the area. Thereare a few good chinese places, BBQ and others, and all should be able to take up to probably 20 or so people, if not more.
As far as day, it doesn't matter to me, either would work, but i guess Friday would probably better for the reasons stated above.

CrazyFish
05-30-2007, 01:50 PM
Friday sounds like the best night for folks. Of couse only 4 have voted so far so that could change. Isn't there a Houlihans Steak House by that mall as well? Would that be a good option? I can call to see if they have a banquet area. I hope that Talkingreef is going to be represented by more than 4 of us :cheers:

Steven Pro
05-31-2007, 07:18 AM
There are a number of local options:

Oxford Dining Room (hotel restaurant, good but could be crowded)
Chili's
Taipei-Tokyo (Japanese and Chinese) :up:
Olive Garden
D'Imperio's (Italian) :up:
Houlihan's
John Harvard's (micro brewery) :up:
Johnny Carino's Italian
Shogun (hibachi place) :up:
TGI Friday's
The Wooden Nickel :up:
Damon's
Outback
Max & Erma's
Red Lobster
Eat N' Park
Denny's

CarmieJo
05-31-2007, 05:48 PM
I belong to both TR and ProjectDIBS as do quite a few other people. I saw a post there about getting together also. What do you think about asking them to join us?

Amphibious
05-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Good idea, Carmie.

CrazyFish
06-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Sounds good to me! Maybe we can see where/when they're meeting. Thanks, Carmie!

CarmieJo
06-01-2007, 11:42 PM
I don't think they have made any plans, I was just going to suggest that they come with us so those who belong to both don't have to choose one or the other. As far as food places go, I really like to try new places as opposed to a chain (no matter how good the food) that I can go to at home.

CrazyFish
06-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Good thinking! It's looking like Friday night is the best time for folks to meet for a meet and greet/dinner. Carmie - would you be willing to keep count of the folks on the other site who'd like to come to dinner? I can keep track of Talkingreef folks. Everyone who can come please send me a private message with your name and number in your party along with your e-mail address . StevenPro - since you know the area best are you willing to check into one of the local places and see if they have a private party room we could use on Friday night? I'm estimating we may end up with around 30-40? I think that the MACNA show is over around 4:00PM, so did you want to eat at 5:00? Maybe those needing a ride could meet by the MACNA registration desk at 4:30? Not everyone likes Chinese or Japanese so maybe we could try one of Italian places or Microbrew you mentioned? Thoughts.....Input? This is still a ways off, so I know we'll hear from more people as time passes.

CarmieJo
06-04-2007, 11:28 PM
I am still a maybe for MACNA but I will be happy to keep a list of DIBS members who would like to attend.

Steven Pro
06-07-2007, 08:30 PM
StevenPro - since you know the area best are you willing to check into one of the local places and see if they have a private party room we could use on Friday night?

I know John Harvard's and The Wooden Nickel have back rooms and Shogun has private dining areas that can hold around 15-20 people.

I think that the MACNA show is over around 4:00PM, so did you want to eat at 5:00?

The last regular speaker on Friday will finish around 5:00 PM, but then Dr. Bruce Carlson will be speaking during the reception Friday night beginning around 7:00 PM.

Steven Pro
07-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Have you all firmed up your palns yet?

CarmieJo
08-25-2007, 02:08 AM
Who all is interested in getting together?

wildeone
08-31-2007, 11:23 PM
I can get together on Friday,. I am staying about 45 mins west of Pittsburgh, and I was not going to drive in until after work of Friday. If there is a TR/Dibs gathering on Friday, I may take 1/2 day off and drive in early so I can join you on Friday evening. Keep me posted!

CarmieJo
09-01-2007, 01:48 PM
My hubby is meeting his cousin in Charleston on Thursday. I'll stay there Thursday night and drive in to Pittsburgh Friday morning. There is an hour lunch break on Saturday and an hour supper break on Friday. This really makes the 2 hour break between the talks and the reception on Friday the best choice. So far the only ones I know from TR or DIBS who are going are you, Dick (Amphibious) and me.

Amphibious
09-02-2007, 09:08 AM
I'm flying in on Thursday so I'll be prowling around the coral displays. Unfortunately, my system is not ready for anything new and my building has been delayed yet again.

See you guys in PA!!!

Dick

CarmieJo
09-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Since it doesn't look like there will be a big group of TR/DIBS folks shall we just decide where to eat when we get together? Duane can you make Friday dinner or should we push it to Saturday?

NaClFinatic
09-03-2007, 09:20 AM
I will be there but I am not sure if I will be there on Saturday. And on Friday it will depend. If I stay for the last talk my wife and I will probably hang around to have dinner, if not I will be headed for my parents house before rush hour. But if I'm around I'd love to join in. I'll probably see you around anyway. I'll be wearing my shirt!

CarmieJo
09-03-2007, 09:51 AM
It would be great if you could join us! I'll look forward to meeting you in person.

Rob
09-06-2007, 03:45 PM
im not sure if you counted me, but as long as i can find a darn hotel room, i will be there... :)

CarmieJo
09-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Great! Try Hotwire. I got the Holiday Inn Parkway East, 5 miles from the conference for $50 a night.

bmwaaron
09-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Hey Rob, if you want I have a room for Friday and Sat. I reserved a room with 2 beds because a local club member was going but had a faimily emergency, If you want to split it let me know. I also have a room Thrusday but think its a single and not sure if they have any doubles left for that night but I can ask.

Rob
09-09-2007, 12:33 AM
hey, thanks, i already booked my room...

ok, regarding our get together.. who is heading it up... since its next week, i would like the organizer to contact me... i would like to know where it is, and how many we are expecting.

CarmieJo
09-09-2007, 02:05 AM
I am. We haven't picked a place. I'll send you a PM.

CarmieJo
09-09-2007, 02:36 AM
I have Rob, Dick, Duane, Dave & Mrs., Aaron and me from TR. At least one guy from DIBS may join us. Have I missed anyone? If you don't have my phone number PM me. I'm suggesting the Wooden Nickel or Jon Harveys because they probably have American food and people usually like that. However, I'm open for whatever.

By the way, I have a double room and am willing to share with a lady.

Rob
09-09-2007, 01:06 PM
hey carmie, thanks.. i got your PM.. im coming in on Friday early afternoon, i will call you when i get into town.
you can included my better half in the total number.

CarmieJo
09-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Great! I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

wildeone
09-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Not sure what time you are meeting, but I cannot break away from work early on Friday. I will be at the events on Saturday though, wearing my TR gear. If you see me, be sure to say hello, and I will do the same! Maybe we can mingle a bit between sessions!

bmwaaron
09-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Im in.. just let me know when and were

kj_yoda
09-11-2007, 10:27 AM
I am possibly in for drinks... all depends on timing. Camie, i will PM you my contact info...

Rob
09-11-2007, 12:41 PM
hey guys, just got my shirts in today, they look pretty cool.. :)
hope everyone got theres in by now, not much time left.

Hey Kevin, thats awesome, look forward to finally meeting you.. :)

CarmieJo
09-11-2007, 01:14 PM
My shirts are here too! Rob, we need TR cards to pass out to people :)

kj_yoda
09-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Rob... and everyone else, can't wait to meet you guys too...

Rob
09-11-2007, 07:53 PM
i know.. i really had all these plans to do a huge campaign for MACNA, and well... it never worked out...
i just dont think i can pull them together in time...lol

Amphibious
09-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Hey Rob,

It will be great just to have everyone meet. I'm looking forward to it.

Safe trip everyone!!! See you on Friday.

Dick

CarmieJo
09-11-2007, 08:07 PM
I am really looking forward to meeting everyone! Travel safe and Rob, try to avoid the speeding ticket in OH. We all know OH has the toughest Troopers.

Rob
09-11-2007, 08:36 PM
yeah, hopefully i dont make the back of that shirt a reality.. ;)

Rob
09-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Hey Rob,

It will be great just to have everyone meet. I'm looking forward to it.

Safe trip everyone!!! See you on Friday.

Dick
i agree, im quite excited too.. :)

CarmieJo
09-11-2007, 09:49 PM
OK, here is the latest list. I have Rob & Mrs., Dick, Dave & Mrs., Aaron, maybe Kevin and Marc and me from TR. I read in another thread that WVfisher is going to be there too and have invited him. I'm the point person. If you don't have my phone number PM me. I am going to rely on everyone to call me instead of me trying to call everybody. I expect to be there by noon.

CarmieJo
09-11-2007, 10:04 PM
I was looking on the internet and the Wooden Nickel has had some bad reviews lately with people saying it has gone downhill. What do you guys think about John Harvard's micro brewery? Their reviews were good. There are happy hour specials at the bar from 5-7. The lady I spoke with suggested stopping by the bar for a drink at happy hour prices and then taking your drink to the table. John Harvard's Brew House | Honest Food. Real Beer. (http://www.johnharvards.com/menus/pittsburgh-dinner.htm)

NaClFinatic
09-12-2007, 12:38 PM
I now doubt we will stay for dinner. We will probably be heading off to see the folks since we only visit a couple times a year. I will be there by noon Friday. And wearing mt TR golf shirt. It just has the small logo on front so it's not quite as noticible as the others. I may or may not be there on Saturday but will be back on Sunday.

Carmie, I did get your number, but if you don't hear from me, don't expect us.

CarmieJo
09-12-2007, 09:29 PM
I have made reservations at John Harvard's for 12 at 5:30 PM. It is about a mile away from the conference. It sounds like we won't have that many but I can call and change the exact number on Friday.