PDA

View Full Version : Plenum (Jaubert method)

bband
02-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Anyone using a Plenum? I have a 10 year old reef with one with no problems.

A plenum is a water space under your sand bed to provide an area of very low oxygen to support anoxic bacteria.

gwen_o_lyn
02-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Welcome to TR bband ;)

Rob
02-27-2006, 08:19 PM
i investigated it, but made a decision, that a DSB was going to be just as effective, and so far has worked well..

just my 2 cents...

pham411
02-27-2006, 09:46 PM
i used a Plenum as an undergravel filter when i first started reefing a few years back. in the begining all was fine and dandy untill my nitrates started spiking through the roofs. making a long story short after battling high nitrates for half a year i removed the undergravel filter my nitrates started falling. now they are undetectable. i wouldnt use a plenum but i suppose it would be ok for a fish only tank but not great for reefing.

JustDavidP
02-28-2006, 11:35 PM
I've heard a lot of success stories about plenum systems. I just never learned much about them myself. To boot, I was sick of the "under substrate" type filtration I used in fresh water and cichlid tanks. When I was getting into marine systems again, and more notably into reefing, I was coming in on the "DSB wave" and that is how I, and my reef guru, set it up. I knew of no other way :D