PDA

View Full Version : How long after my tank cycles should I wait before adding an anemone?

jwavec
05-16-2007, 11:26 PM
My tank has just finished cycling and was wanting to add an anemone for my clownfish. Did not know how long I should wait before doing so. My parameters have zeroed out. Any suggestions on good anemones for true percs? Thanks

Larry Copperband
05-16-2007, 11:38 PM
What size tank? Lighting?

Phurst
05-17-2007, 07:27 AM
I don't have an anemone, but I DO know they need a well established tank. I usualy hear the reccomendation they not be added durint the first year.

jwavec
05-17-2007, 09:35 AM
90 gallon with 2 250Watt MH Hamilton 14K bulbs.

gwen_o_lyn
05-17-2007, 08:34 PM
one year established tank and in the hands of an expert aquarist....

there is no guarantee if you purchase one that your clowns will host it. Also anemones can be aggressive and if they want to move they can go on a war path and kill everything in its way. I can't remember the exact stats but the majority of anemones don't live past one year once pulled from the ocean.

For those reasons, I have never purchased one and haven't had much a desire too.

On the bright side, your clowns will usually host a coral. My clowns have been living in my toadstool at least 3 years and love it.

I encourage you to really do your reading and learn everything you can before purchasing one.

PreauxPhoto
05-18-2007, 08:06 AM
all of mine host in xania. i have tried 4 times with anemones and all have failed (power heads, overflows, etc..) when my clowns realized that there wasn't anymore coming they found other host's. i like it when they host in corals because if they get too aggressive with the and knock some off..... free frag!

Larry Copperband
05-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Hi everyone,
The beauty of this hobby is the vast amount of choices.It's just the choices must be tempered with the facts.
Now,heres the other side of the coin.
I've had very good success with BTA's.Not excellent.Of the the 5 I've purchased in the last year,3 currently thrive under strong PC lighting.
My RBTA is currently hosting my mated pair of Perc's,My green BTA is host to a even-tempered Tomato clown,and the third,a cream color,is just bein' an anemone.
My tanks have been set up just over a year,but I've had the green BTA for at least 5 months.
Yes,my RBTA takes an ocasional"walk",and yes,I have lost a few corals...for me it's a chance I'm willing to take.All are currently stationary,which is what happens when they find a Happy place in the tank.Once hosted,they really stop moving 99%. So,I'm happy,my anemones are happy,my clowns are happy.
If it sounds like I'm bragging,I'm not.If I thought for one second I could not have pulled it off,I wouldn't have tried.But BTA's are really a minimal risk anemone in my book.I most certainly respect and understand those who feel otherwise.

Larry.

PreauxPhoto
05-18-2007, 12:44 PM
congrats Larry. and you are all too right this hobby is full of choices. reef tanks are like fingerprints not two are alike. it's all a matter of personal preference. i agree with you that BTA are a minimal risk, they even seem to have there own personality's and if you do choose they make a beautiful addition to any tank, and that is what makes everyone's tank there own, the ability to choose.

Larry Copperband
05-18-2007, 02:33 PM
http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/gallery/files/1/9/7/5/Clownfish041707_1.jpg

Bluemax4
05-18-2007, 09:33 PM
There are some tricks to put the clown fish in the anemone. Lesson to pod cast 100. Also you my not wont an anemone unless you have a deep water tank. Anemones will go where they wont so you will not be able to disid where to put it. Last if you do buy one look at's foot, if there is a rip in it DON'T BUY IT!
GOOD luck:D

saltyreef
05-27-2007, 08:50 PM
The optimum conditions to add an Anemone would be a tank that is well established (1+ yr), and learning everything you can before you buy.

However, there are the exceptions. New to the hobby & implusive, I broke all the "rules" when it came to my anemone.

The LSF said it was a "White Sebae". I bought it and 2 percs that were hosting in it. They went from a 10gc into my 10gc. In 2 days the smaller perc was killed by the larger perc. The 2nd perc jumped out of the tank 3 days after that. Neither ever went near the anemone while in my 10gc. About 2 weeks later I added a baby Tomato clown who hosted instantly. 4 weeks later they were moved into my newly established 8 week 30 gallon. The rock, anemone, & clown were lifted together, out of one tank and directly into the other when they were moved into the 30. Of course, after buying, I did the research and realized the anemone was already dying when I got it.

http://reefs4me.com/images/stories//ane2%20b.jpg

Now, after 10 months in the 30 the anemone is a completely different creature (BTA?). The tan is actually darker (picture over exposed), and that orange turned a beautiful marbled tan as well.

http://reefs4me.com/images/stories//hpim0030 (700 x 532) (525 x 399).jpg