PDA

View Full Version : Is this Normal?

Techknowledgy
05-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Hello All,
My 125g tank seems to be progressing well. I am getting a lot of red corraline algae growth, but the greens and other colors do not seem to be spreading or growing as well. Is this normal? I think the red is hardier and more aggressive. Any insights?

Phurst
05-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Most peoples tanks tend to be dominated by one color, usualy purple, but red wouldn't be that odd I guess. Nothing to worry about.

Techknowledgy
05-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks Phurst,
I guess it is purple after all. Just asked my wife what color that was and she said purple. Any way to get the other pretty colors to take off too?

gwen_o_lyn
05-16-2007, 07:50 PM
A healthy reef tank will have mostly purple coralline algae. There is green coralline, but usually the purple is far more dominant.

Are you trying to grow green hair algae?? :D

Techknowledgy
05-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Funny,
What little of that was on my rocks when I got more last week has been scarfed up by the snails and Sally Lightfoot. Just want to make sure all is well. The family has been so patient as I have indulged myself with this that I want to avoid all of the disasters I have read about in the two years it took for me to design, build, plumb and fill this little bit of heaven. Patience is starting to get to me though! Thanks!

gwen_o_lyn
05-16-2007, 08:01 PM
That's good that your cleanup crew is working. You want nice smooth clean rocks and not too much unwanted stuff growing on them.

CarmieJo
05-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. As hard as it is, try to be patient and not get ahead of yourself.

salt-rookie
05-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Lioght purple coralline COULD appear red in the right color spectrum....

Techknowledgy
05-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks Phil,
I have gone over and over this, and it seems that all is well. I took a sample of my water to the Aquatic Warehouse yesterday to have it tested, just in case. I am using Salifert kits and they seem accurate, but just wanted to be sure. The fish guy, Peter, who is a marine bio major at Scripps, declared my water "ideal." So all is well. I will be adding more lights ((Got a good recommendation from Peter) this weekend, and have included CoralVit at Peter's recommendation to help with coraline growth, and my two softies as well. I can't do MH. Too much heat, and our electric bills are already the highest in the country. Last August during a heat wave mine was $600.00. My 125 wasn't even running. The wife would shoot me if I harp on the kids to "turn off the lights when you leave the room" and then add $125.00 a month for my hobby.

CarmieJo
05-23-2007, 10:12 PM
I always suggest that you take statements like "ideal" with a grain of salt. Ideal for what? Numbers are far more useful since to some extent the ideal parameters will vary depending on what you are keeping. Of course this means that you have to research to find out what is ideal. For instance, ideal calcium levels in a FO or FOWLR tank are 25% lower than in a reef tank.

Techknowledgy
05-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks Carmie,
Peter knows I have a new reef, so the ideal parameters he gave me are right there. When I go to Scripps water in another week I will keep you posted. NSW (according to what my fellow reefers here in San Diego are telling me) with a couple of addirives on changes has been making their tanks thrive for "years" with no ill effects and great results. Ever try natural sea water?

CarmieJo
05-23-2007, 11:29 PM
No, the ocean is 2.5 hours away. Even when we go to the ocean I don't have a way to get far enough off shore to be sure of getting clean water.

Techknowledgy
05-23-2007, 11:32 PM
They do a pretty good job of filtering it. Super fine sand filtration. Everyone still recommended that I test it first, and NEVER get it after the rain, or during a red tide.

CarmieJo
05-23-2007, 11:36 PM
That sounds like a good plan to me.