PDA

View Full Version : What do do with this water??

pammy
05-11-2007, 07:02 AM
All of a sudden, overnight, the water in the rubbermade with my cured liverock, looks gross. The rock has been in there with two powerheads and a heater, for a full week now (no skimmer). As of the day before yesterday, Ammonia was still 0. Just got my light yesterday and got it hung last night , so after months of researching and purchasing equipment, I'm FINALLY ready to add water!! YAY!! I hate to put any of that water with the rock into the tank though. I'd prefer to start with all fresh water, but will there be any negatives regarding the cycle, if I do that? Last night, the powerheads were covered with a fine brown powdery film. I'd think it was too soon for a diatom bloom signaling end of cycle but could it be that? I'll test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates tonight. So...should I just add all fresh RO/DI water to my new tank rather than add any of this gross water?

Thanks.
Pam

Seahorsedreams
05-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Let it work itself out... or you can always add a skimmer. You put lights over it last night... that is a light induced algae bloom.

pammy
05-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks Seahorsedreams. I just checked the parameters again. 1 week with cured live rock in Rubbermade. Water doesn't look so crappy today. Would you say my cycle has begun? Haven't detected any Ammonia yet, but Nitrates are at 10 tonight. When you say let it work itself out, are you saying put all of the rubbermade water into the display tank?

Ammonia still 0, Nitrates 10 , Nitrites 0

About to put my first bucket of water into my tank! What a long journey to get here!

Bye
Pam

Let it work itself out... or you can always add a skimmer. You put lights over it last night... that is a light induced algae bloom.

Seahorsedreams
05-11-2007, 08:55 PM
You had your ammonia and nitrite spike and your values are now 0?

CarmieJo
05-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Pam,

Unless it is scummy and smelly I think you would be fine to use the water in the Rubbermaid in your tank. I would try to avoid adding any of the junk that has accumulated in the bottom.

Techknowledgy
05-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Shut off the power heads for a bit and let it settle, then send the icky stuff at the bottom to the big recycling tank in the sky.

pammy
05-13-2007, 12:32 AM
Thanks Carmie and Technoledgy. I ended up doing exactly that. Once everything settled, the water looked just fine, and I kept away from the crap on the bottom. So, I used 35 gallons of freshly made RO/DI saltwater, and about 20 gallons of the water that the rock had been sitting in for a week. The tank looks crystal clear. :)

Bye.
Pam

CarmieJo
05-13-2007, 01:05 AM
Do you have any pictures?

pammy
05-13-2007, 01:58 AM
Sure do Carmie. Will try to post them tomorrow night. :)
Bye
Pam

pammy
05-14-2007, 06:33 AM
Hi Carmie. I posted some pics of my Aquascaping in my tank journal at: http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/member-tank-projects/4062-elos-system-80-tank-53-gallon.html#post52229

Bye
Pam