PDA

View Full Version : Other hobbies you have

Astrivian
04-28-2007, 12:15 PM
What other hobbies do you have that mix well with reefing? And, how do they mix?

For example, one of my other minor hobbies is winemaking. Using a one gallon glass carboy for the fermentation process you can skip the airlock if you have a macroalgae spot in your tank. I plug it with a rubber bung, jam a piece of hard airline tubing in it, then string some soft tubing up into the tank. The CO2 bubbles from the wine are great for growing macroalgae and freshwater plants.

Seahorsedreams
04-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Photography..... ummm... 'cause I can take pix of my stuff :-)

NaClFinatic
04-28-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm into home improvement stuff when I have the time. I don't right now but I am still trying to get my office/fish room finished off so I can set up my 90gal.

CarmieJo
04-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Photography and science...

lReef lKeeper
04-28-2007, 07:32 PM
i cant afford ANOTHER hobby !! i use to play semi pro paintball, but $200 a weekend got to be a little expensive. now i just tinker with the tanks and do some fragging when i get bored OR read a reef related book.

JayBeDriften
04-28-2007, 11:05 PM
There are other hobbies out their other then Reef Keeping? :huh:

Bluemax4
04-29-2007, 11:03 AM
You might wont to do fresh water tanks. Or try making a tank of local fish. If You are rilly bored I now people try to make creative fish tanks. Like one was a lova lamp, another was a old fasion TV.

petunia
04-29-2007, 01:48 PM
I've spent thousands of dollars on electronics! Mostly computers and the related gadgets. I'm not sure it's a hobby... it's just like reefkeeping - it's an addiction. I end up buying something and then get bored with it and, have to go buy something else. Man! I need a life!

CarmieJo
04-29-2007, 01:59 PM
I LOVE toys!

WRECK DIVER 61
04-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Just like my user name states wreck diving, in long island N.Y.
Ive spent more than I want to think about (thousands) on equiptment alone + training and dive boats. All so I get to go down to the islands to see natural reefs. thats something any one in the reefing hobby should do.
thats what got me into reefing.
all so, racing motorcycles, mountain climbing, 4x4ing, next is sky diving.
My wallet is empty, but Im having the time of my life.

Cyclura
04-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Well as MY name suggests im into keeping reptiles. Cyclura is actually the genus if iguanas that i call my favorite. Other than that im into performing arts like musical theater, Drama, and i sing in my school's chamber choir.

thesaent14
04-29-2007, 09:37 PM
well my second hobby is DIY i love to diy all my equipment for my tanks this is coming to be my second hobby other then reef keeping the #3 is buying tools i have all types of tools i can get my hands on including this baby

my new cnc machine
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/thesaent14/mics/cnc006.jpg

CarmieJo
04-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Manny, what does it do?

thesaent14
04-29-2007, 10:27 PM
hey carmie how are you first

this machine make the flanges for calcium reactor and stuff like skimmers twist and locks and lots more any shape i like to make this will do

btw

baby due on 27 next month

CarmieJo
04-29-2007, 10:51 PM
That is cool.

Less than a month to go! I bet your little princesses are excited.

thesaent14
04-29-2007, 10:53 PM
o yea they are the smallis one allways ask me its it time yet lol i can wait to see my first boy i am counting the days

Phurst
04-30-2007, 09:30 AM
None of my other hobbies mix with reefing.

I hunt Civil War relics with my metal detector. Been hunting pretty seriously for about 10 years now. I also used to race autocross until I sold my track car. I'm looking for another right now. As a few others mentioned, I'm an electronics junkie too. I work in IT, so it a natural for me.

wwest
04-30-2007, 10:01 AM
I do a little of everything. First i'm a volunteer fireman, that takes up a lot of time and a lot of money. Depending on the time of year i do anything from Repelling, snowboarding, Climbing, Forestry Restoration, Wild land ground pounder, Home improvements, and i train dogs year around. But to be honest i think my favorite hobby is sleeping lol Maybe because i don't get to do it a lot. lol

Astrivian
04-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Oh wow, were people desperate to discuss things other than fish! LOL

One of my other big things is games. I was a AD&D nerd when i was younger and ever since then i have like complex, never-ending games. My new thing now is making computer games using Gamemaker Studio. i have one in the works i will post up here when i get it to a working point. I decided to "improve" something and now it doesn't load anymore. I dig your point Wes, fish tend to take up so much time and money it is hard to do much else!

I am working on some dandelion wine now, if it is drinkable and non-toxic when i am done i will share. Oh, but don't hold your breath, it takes a full year to mature :)

Astrivian
04-30-2007, 11:48 AM
None of my other hobbies mix with reefing.

I hunt Civil War relics with my metal detector. Been hunting pretty seriously for about 10 years now. I also used to race autocross until I sold my track car. I'm looking for another right now. As a few others mentioned, I'm an electronics junkie too. I work in IT, so it a natural for me.

Oh hey that is cool. I grew up in Alexandria, VA and my father was really into the Civil War. he would always take us on tours of Antedam (sp?) and Gettysburg. I saw a ball lodged in a tree in one of the parks, and i thought it was so cool you could still find stuff from the war. What kind of stuff have you found?

Astrivian
04-30-2007, 11:52 AM
You might wont to do fresh water tanks. Or try making a tank of local fish. If You are rilly bored I now people try to make creative fish tanks. Like one was a lova lamp, another was a old fasion TV.

LOL. Been there max! I tried making a tank in the shape of a pyramid once but it kept leaking and breaking. Dang glass is impossible to work with. I still think it will work as a tank, albeit not a reef tank.

Phurst
04-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Oh hey that is cool. I grew up in Alexandria, VA and my father was really into the Civil War. he would always take us on tours of Antedam (sp?) and Gettysburg. I saw a ball lodged in a tree in one of the parks, and i thought it was so cool you could still find stuff from the war. What kind of stuff have you found?

Oh, the usual stuff. Buttons, bullets, artillery shells, belt buckles. Or, if you're my wife "worthless dirty junk" :rotfl: .

Russel P
04-30-2007, 07:02 PM
I breed a few snakes for extra scratch, study science/skepticism, and try to understand females of our species. My success is right in the order mentioned.

wildeone
04-30-2007, 10:51 PM
I have 4 kids...who has time for hobbies? This reef thing is just an excuse for me to escape the chaos for 1/2 hour or so! And they think I am into it, little do they know! :)

Astrivian
05-21-2007, 07:06 PM
LOL! No kids here wildone but i sort of understand (if that makes any sense). I substitute taught for 1st grade one time and those kids drove me crazy. They would climb on me, like climb as if i were a tree! I was truly overwhelmed.

On another note, should i assume one of our other common hobbies is reading? So many fish books and so little time... :)

keyozoxmfc
05-21-2007, 11:34 PM
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH KIDS!!! =) hehe..im a basic kid...i play computer games, eat, sleep,go out,go to school, and sleep.

yup for anyone out there i play world of warcraft,warcraft3 and counterstrike!

V
05-22-2007, 02:52 AM
my hobbies include.... buying things i dont need, farting under the covers only to realise im the only one in bed, & generally make a toss of myself with mass populations of people as my witness:roll: .

Astrivian
05-22-2007, 01:08 PM
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH KIDS!!! =) hehe..im a basic kid...i play computer games, eat, sleep,go out,go to school, and sleep.

yup for anyone out there i play world of warcraft,warcraft3 and counterstrike!

LOL! I dig your point mark; kids are not bad, but you have to acknowledge that you are all crazy :tongue2:

Ahhh, so you are a WoW dude too. Keep an eye out for a druid named Astrivian.

keyozoxmfc
05-22-2007, 05:12 PM
ohh really? sweet what server? i have a gnome in ner zhul and a undead in kil jaeden

salt-rookie
05-22-2007, 08:34 PM
I collect and play vintage and classic electric and acoustic guitars.....here's a picture of a few of my electrics...

http://www.saltbucket.com/d/805-2/JPJGUITARS+00008.JPG (http://www.saltbucket.com/v/salt-rookie/JPJGUITARS+00008.JPG.html)