PDA

View Full Version : Where did my clownfish go?

DreamWeaver
04-23-2007, 07:40 PM
I added a pair of yellowtail clownfish to my tank about a month ago. Around 10 days ago, the larger of the 2 went missing. I didn't see any signs of foul play but it was presumed dead. Yesterday, I came home from a weekend trip and there was the missing fish, looking as healthy as it ever has.

A little research leads me to believe it was in hiding as it was spawning or protecting the eggs. Is this the most likely explanation? If so, I'm assuming any eggs or hatchlings have died or were eaten.

Rob
04-23-2007, 07:50 PM
not likely...
the clarkii clown (or any clown for that matter) is not known to hide for that long.

when eggs are p[resent its almost always the male exclusively that tends to the eggs meaning the both wouldn't be missing

second its is VERY rare that a pair of clowns would spawn within 10 days of being in a tank (even if they were previously a spawning pair)

unfortunately its likely you lost them. the best thing is to look in/through your tank the best you can to see if you can find them

CarmieJo
04-23-2007, 08:22 PM
DreamWeaver,

Aren't you saying the missing fish has shown back up?

Rob
04-23-2007, 08:43 PM
sorry carmie, yes i misread the post...

it was missing for 10 days? that is odd for a clown

DreamWeaver
04-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, it was only missing for 5 - 7 days. I was out of town on days 5, 6 and 7 so I'm not sure which day it showed back up.

So, this is normal behavior for a clown?

Rob
04-23-2007, 10:53 PM
a clown going gone for 5 days? i would not say its normal, but its a bit more acceptable than 10 days...lol

again, i doubt its eggs as they usually take about 9 days to hatch and are laid in only a few hours if that

and since they have been in your tank a few months i doubt its acclimation related..

im not sure what they/it was doing...lol

BoB_27
04-25-2007, 03:02 PM
When I started to read the post I thought maybe a Mantis Shrimp. The farther I was in the post the more I was stumped.

But they went missing right after you place them in the tank right? If so the only thing I can think of is they were scared and awesome hiders just like any other reef fish.

My Wrasse was out of sight for 2 days after placing her in the tank. I looked all over the place with lights, with out lights and with flash light and I couldn’t find her.

Who knows?

This is what I just think. Do take my word I am new to saltwater.

Nate