PDA

View Full Version : Dang Hair algae

JeffDubya
04-19-2007, 03:48 PM
So I am doing a thorough cleaning of my prop tank in the next week, and I have a slight hair algae problem. Must have come in on a frag.

Is there any way to nuke this stuff without harming my critters?

Phurst
04-19-2007, 06:43 PM
As far as I know, predation, manual removal and nutrient starvation are the only ways.

Amphibious
04-19-2007, 08:54 PM
You could get a couple of Emerald Crabs.

George
04-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Mexican turbo snails are great, but once they motor through all your hair algae, it can starve without feeding.

Despite what guides and many LFS say, I wouldn't get more than 1 per 25 gallons.

petunia
04-20-2007, 11:59 AM
a uv sterilizer will also be of assitance.

Astrivian
04-20-2007, 04:06 PM
I feel your pain Jeff. I have been removing a rock a week and scraping it with a bottle brush. It mows it down a bit, but doesn't really do much else. I don't even have any fish, so i never feed the tank. I have no idea where this crap is getting its nutrients from.

I might try an emerald crab. Would it harm GSP (Pachyclavularia sp.)?

rprisock
04-21-2007, 08:13 AM
JeffDubya, I've been fighting the scourge of hair algae for about 6 weeks. I ended up taking a multi attack approach because nothing seemed to work. Fortunately, my tank is almost back to normal, although I'm determined not to let my guard down. Here's what I ended up doing:

Cut back slightly (one hour reduction) in my light cycle.
Water changes weekly (so far it seems like enough to fill the Mediterranean)
Increased snails, added a few emerald crabs, and a sea hare.
The sea hare was doing good job but died after about two weeks (cause unknown).
After I lost the sea hare I added a long spine urchin which is doing well and is actually eating some of the hair algae.
After weeks of frustration, I resorted to taking rock out and scrubbing with a brush and rinsing with clean salt and ro/di water and returning to the tank.
This was a lot of work but the only thing that made a significant improvement.

Good luck ... please post any methods you find that work for you.

CarmieJo
04-21-2007, 12:36 PM
I would suggest just scrubbing your rock in the SW you remove when doing water changes and then swishing it in another container of used water. I would not rinse it with RO as I think that will kill beneficial bacteria on or near the surface of the rock. It probably wouldn't kill the bacteria deep in the rock though.

Rob
04-22-2007, 01:32 PM
jeff, if i remember right, this is a new setup for you..
HA seems to be a common thing in the maturation of tank.
make sure you keep your levels right, and control nutrients. do manual removal and it will usually stop growing back after a period..

if you pursue predation methods make sure you are willing to supplement its diet after the HA is gone.. :)

JayBeDriften
04-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Hello everyone, it seems that multiple people are having issues with Hair Algae and I might have an idea that can assist with it if everyone is willing to play along like nice oys and girls and also be extremely careful with the of this animal as to not stress it. I have had hair algae problems in the past among friend and family aquariums as well as my own. Whether it be due to overfeeding or adding new rock into your aquarium or whatever the reason Hair Algae has plagued us all. One person could purchase a Sea Hare and place it in their aquarium for a few until their algae problem is solved. Then have the next person in line requiring the help either pick up or ship this critter and provide some monetary or other assistance for the lend as necessary so that the new person can acclimate it to their aquarium and let them do the job all over again. This ensures that the sea hare will never starve as they do in most aquariums when the Hair Algae problems decipates. We just all have to be cautious about taking our time to acclimate this critter slowly to ensure as minimal stress as possible. Call it Rent a Sea Hair if you may!

Cyclura
04-23-2007, 07:35 PM
cool, good idea. Ive seen sea hares at the LFS and most are way too big for my tank.

CarmieJo
04-23-2007, 08:20 PM
My LFS told me I could bring mine back for credit. Unfortunately he died for unknown reasons before I had the HA under control. I've often read that they rarely live more than a year so my thought was that it was just old.

PSH
04-24-2007, 07:09 AM
Silly question but what brand of salt are you guys using? Sea Hares are cool but I never see mine much. I may catch it munching on some nori I tuck in a rock but not often.

Rob
04-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Silly question but what brand of salt are you guys using? Sea Hares are cool but I never see mine much. I may catch it munching on some nori I tuck in a rock but not often.
reef crystals for me.. :)

CarmieJo
04-24-2007, 11:28 AM
I was using IO but the last time Red Sea was on sale so I decided to try it. I've seen no difference in my parameters or the appearance of my tank since I changed a few months ago.

petunia
04-24-2007, 02:27 PM
I also have an algea probem that just won't go away. I've done all the scrubbing and rinsing that I can, and cut down on the feeding... it is still a problem. Instead of trying the sea hare (which is for 'experts only' - which I am not), I am going to try some of the dwarf yellow tip hermit crabs.
Saltwater Aquarium Crabs for Marine Reef Aquariums: Dwarf Yellow Tip Hermit Crab (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=2604)

rprisock
04-24-2007, 05:30 PM
90% of the time it is Reef Crystals. If I use anything else it is IO. I see no apparent differences between the two.

As far as inhabitants eating hair algae, I see some of my hermit crabs and a couple of my emerald crabs picking at it. The long spine urchine appears to be eating it and some of the corraline. That is not an issue for me because the corraline comes back so quickly.

Somewhere I read that some FoxFace Lo fish will eat hair algae. Mine does not!!!

Russel P
04-24-2007, 06:00 PM
I use IO as well.
Lawnmower and sailfin blennies haven't proved too useful to me, but they've tended to jump out of my tank within a month or two. :doh:
My cleanup crew is a slew of hermits, even more of the big three snail types, and a couple of abalones. I wish I'd documented it better, but I'd say 3-6 months into the tank's startup, it started getting hair algae pretty badly. As usual, I'd already bought a few specimens and couldn't black the tank out like I wanted to. So I cut the MH light time in half and knocked a couple of hours off the T5's. After that time (after just manual removal and the clean-up crew) I worked on better circulation and more frequent water changes. Eventually, it just went away, except for on a few specimen rocks for whatever reason. Now I'm dealing with scraping coraline off of glass, powerheads, and other places I don't want it. A better problem I guess, but I'm wondering why I ever bought all that Purple Up!

JayBeDriften
04-25-2007, 04:50 AM
I'm using Instant Ocean's Reef Crystals for the added calcium.

PSH
04-25-2007, 07:00 AM
Ok well the only reason I asked was because I had a bucket of IO Reef Crystals. That every time I mixed it up the buckets I used would get a brown/yellow slime on them. It was about that same time the hair algae started to take over. I have now switched to a new bucket and the slime has went away and my hair algae is disappearing. Now it may not have anything to do with it, but it was some what weird. I have never had a problem before. Strange thing is it seems to be happening to a lot of people right now.

Astrivian
04-25-2007, 10:56 AM
That is interesting. I use IO Reef Crystals as well and the hair algae is out of control! however, i hesitate to draw to many conclusions from this. I do not have a skimmer, which might be part of my problem.

Astrivian
04-28-2007, 10:18 AM
AHHH i hate this stuff! I never thought i would see the day, but the hair algae has killed my stash of calipura. In a matter of hours it seems, too. One day the calipura was okay and the next it turned white and fell apart.

CarmieJo
04-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Are you sure that it didn't go sexual?

Russel P
04-28-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm with Carmie. Hard to imagine hair algae chocking it all out in a day...

kngfisher
01-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Ok well the only reason I asked was because I had a bucket of IO Reef Crystals. That every time I mixed it up the buckets I used would get a brown/yellow slime on them. It was about that same time the hair algae started to take over. I have now switched to a new bucket and the slime has went away and my hair algae is disappearing. Now it may not have anything to do with it, but it was some what weird. I have never had a problem before. Strange thing is it seems to be happening to a lot of people right now.
Can you go into more detail re: brown/yellow slime when mixing your salt? Noticed same thing and thought it was from my ro filters needing to be changed even though tds out was 0. Do you have a link to a thread re: this issue?

CarmieJo
01-11-2009, 11:47 PM
I haven't seen PSH on lately so I am not sure if he will answer or not.

sweetpea
02-05-2009, 01:59 PM
I have a sea hare he is awsome, the best thing I ever did. I have had him for a long time, happy as can be I keep the back of my tank with algae until I do a tank cleaning about every two weeks and I keep the rest of the glass clean during the week with the magnet. I do have a question though, I want to get another hare for my little tank or a sea lettuce but I have a sebae is this ok, or will it be a problem with stinging the hare? How about an urchin as well.... The hare is the best choice in my eyes, sorry you guys have had such bad luck.He keeps the tank clean, is a character and all my friends love him, the algae is gone try another one again, maybe it was just bad luck.

lograce.com
02-07-2009, 11:20 AM
I aquired my 75g back from family in Dec and it was overrun with the hair algea. Like really bad...seems they just let the thing go. While in the process of moving it 8hrs or 300 and something miles I scrapped all the rocks and the tank clean. Looked good...for about Dec and Jan, but it's back!!! I think my main problem is I don't have an RO/DI setup. Well I just bought a nice one at thefilterguys.com and it should be in on monday. My gameplan is to definitely up the water changes and I am also changing salt.

I'm changing from IO to H2Ocean! Does anyone have any input on this new salt?

sweetpea
02-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Can anyone tell me if I can have a sea hare with a sebae, so I can try and eliminate my hair algae. The sea hare did wonders in my other tank.

Amphibious
02-07-2009, 02:51 PM
When ever you mix a soft bodied literally blind invertebrate (sea hare) with a blind stinging anemone, you run the risk of death. However, the sea hare moves very slowly and is "sensing" his way along. As he touches the tentacles of the anemone he will 'sense" danger and change direction. The real threat would be if he launched himself into the water column and landed on top of the anemone. He'd most likely be stung severe enough to be killed. I doubt the anemone would consume the sea hare because they have a toxic slime they can exude. It's possible you could lose both BUT, I doubt anything such as described would happen. Get the sea hare and be aware of the possibilities.

Dick

CarmieJo
02-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Tap water = HA problems

Amphibious
02-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Agree - ^^^!

lograce.com
02-07-2009, 08:44 PM
I like doing things the hard way at first...It really makes you apreciative of your new toys.

CarmieJo
02-07-2009, 09:23 PM
I like doing things the hard way at first...It really makes you apreciative of your new toys.
LOL David!

sweetpea
02-09-2009, 12:37 PM
I always do things the hard way. I think im gonna go for it.

sweetpea
02-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Well I went for it, and the new sea bunny/hare is in heaven with all the goodies he has to eat. I know you guys said you have had problems in the past with these creatures. The woman I spoke to today had suggested algae waffers or cubes if you run out of food for the hare to eat.

lograce.com
02-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Do you have any pics of the new creature?

sweetpea
02-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Nope, but I can take a picture tomorrow and try and post it for you in the next day or so. I have a double shift tomorrow so if hes not out I'll keep trying and get the picture to you as soon as possible.

brodie1516
02-13-2009, 10:16 AM
predation methods

lograce.com
02-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Waiting Patiently......

sweetpea
02-16-2009, 11:56 AM
I added the bunny and it will be a slow process like last time, but I have the red hermits and one emrald, do you think I should get another emrald crab?

Zooid
02-16-2009, 01:11 PM
I had a sea hare in a tank with an approximately 16" Sebae and had no problems with it. My tank is a 200g though so there was plenty of room. The sea hare ate the hair algae but not very quickly. After adding 25 Mexican turbos, I can literally see the hair algae disappearing. I've never had good luck with Mexican turbos in my tanks (cool water snails) so I'm hoping they can get rid of it before they die off. I was also considering getting some fresh water mollies and aclimating them to salt water (I heard they do a number on hair algae also). If I could find some Rainfordi gobies I would try a couple of those in my tank.
I think the solution to hair algae is a combination of every method that everyone has suggested. Scrubbing rocks, water changes, UV filtration will remove it from the tank. Adding critters to eat it will keep it at bay after the previous methods are complete.
Good luck. I'm still battling this stuff myself. I went to Minnesota for a funeral back in Nov ember and the hair algae must have known I left because it took over my tank before I came back.

sweetpea
02-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Sorry work has been busy I will try n get that picture posted soon of the sea hare.

sweetpea
02-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Im still waiting for the hare to come out whne Im home to take a picture.

sweetpea
02-20-2009, 03:27 PM
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd18/nicolebrent/fishtank003.jpg heres bunny....

p.s. what is with the reputation points? And for the tanhx you just hit the thumb to thank a member right?

Amphibious
02-20-2009, 04:49 PM
OK, I know I'm old and body parts are wearing out but I can't determine where Bunny is. :(

I'm not sure what the reputation means, most of us have one, good or bad. :tongue2:

To thank someone, yes, just click on the "thanks thumb". :up:

:love!:

Dick

Zooid
02-20-2009, 06:38 PM
OK, I know I'm old and body parts are wearing out but I can't determine where Bunny is. :(

I know how ya feel hehe.....it looks like the sea hare is between the xenia and the leather.

saltaddict
02-20-2009, 06:52 PM
I don't see it - what color is it?

Fernando Chang
02-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Why you donīt try the algae fix marine ??

Regards
Fernando Chang

sweetpea
02-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Correctamundo between the xenia and the leather, hes actually giving the leather a good licking.

I have tried algae fix marine, didnt seem to work and I am scared to over do it. Maybe Ill try it out again.

sweetpea
02-21-2009, 03:10 PM
The bunny is mulitcolored almost like a scooter blenny. He blends into the rock almost like a beige granite counter top color with blacks, browns and whites.

Fernando Chang
02-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Sweetpea !

Well this will be my first time to use this product as my tank is infected with the hair algae. specially the 2 sides of the aquarium. I should be getting the product this wednesday. I have tried everything, physical removing of the rocks, brushing , siphoning, cutting the feeding of the corals and reducing the same of the fishes. all water parameters are OK but the algae still growing. so my last choice is to use the algaefix marine. if doesnīt work I will have to take down the reef tank and start from zero. this will be a real problem and very traumatic to the corals and fishes.

Regards
Fernando Chang

Amphibious
02-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Oh my, a masochistic bunny slug. sounds exciting. :rotfl:

Personally, I would not use Aqua fix or any other chemical algae control. My 135 came down with a full blown Bryopsis eplosion at about 1 1/2 yrs. I pulled tons of it out every month, did regular water changes, water parameters were good through the whole, it came back again and again. A friend suggested a tiny hermit crab from the Keys. He went down there and brought back about 100 of them. In four months more of my pulling it out and the hermits eating it, it is now gone.

All I can say is Bryopsis is a bitch but, it can be beat with out chemicals.

Dick

Fernando Chang
02-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Amphibious !

thanks yr comments but I forgot to metion that I have in my more than 100 hermit crabs (blue legs) and six sea urchins however it was not enough to fight the growing of the algae. also I have some turbo snails that eating the hair algae. this is why I will try to use this product as my last choice prior to dismantle the whole system.

Regards
Fernando Chang

Amphibious
02-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Hey Fernando,

Please let us know how it works.

Thanks

Dick

Fernando Chang
02-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Amphibious !

sure no problem I expect to receive the algaefix marine this thursday so I think we can see some results begining March.

Regards
Fernando

sweetpea
02-23-2009, 12:45 AM
What type of crabs and how do I get them? I am weary about to much aglea fix it seems like a temp solution. I was talking to a buddy and he said that I may not have enough bene bacteria to help fight the hair algae and cyano since I only run biowheels. This to me would only make sense in regards to the cyano possibly since it is bad bacteria. Do you think the new product bio spira I thibnk by instant ocean for new tanks would help. It is supposed to add the needed good bacterial to new systems?

CarmieJo
02-23-2009, 01:40 AM
Hi Fernando and :welcome: to TR! Keep us posted about the algaefix.

Amphibious
02-23-2009, 09:47 AM
What type of crabs and how do I get them?

Emerald Crabs.

http://www.reeftopia.com/nemeraldcrab.jpg

Are very good at eating algae and not bothering other things. Most LFSs should have them.

sweetpea
02-24-2009, 02:13 PM
I have the emralds but only two I think, cause I havent seen the other one.

sweetpea
02-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Dick we started the topic about bacteria and algae and my bioballs vs a sump can u get elaborate.

Amphibious
02-25-2009, 06:28 PM
I would be happy to, if I could remember what we discussed. :rolleyes:

Remind me what size tank, and filter. A picture of both would really help.

Your package went out today via US Postal.

Dick

Bradman0822
02-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Im not sure if someone mentioned it already... there is a little goby called a Hector's Goby that i think is almost exclusively a hair algae eater... it might help

Amphibious
02-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Found this picture of Hector's Goby, Amblygobius hectori, on fishbase.org.

http://www.fishbase.org/images/species/Amhec_u1.jpg

Fernando Chang
02-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Amphibious !

Just to let you know I started yesterday at 7:40 PM the hair algae treatment with the Algaefix marine.

Regards
Fernando Chang

sweetpea
02-26-2009, 05:34 PM
The conversation was about hair algae and a buddy told me that I may have problems with my hair algae and cyano since I am running a biowheel and may not have enough beneficial bacteria. My 30 gallon is fine but my 20 gallon is about 6 months old and has hair that I cant get rid of along with cyano. He said that I should convert to a sump/wet/dry and this will help. I have a 50 gallon penguin biowheel running on a 20 gallon tank, along with compact lighting and a uv. Thanx for sending my stuff out cant wait.

Amphibious
02-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Amphibious !

Just to let you know I started yesterday at 7:40 PM the hair algae treatment with the Algaefix marine.

Regards
Fernando Chang

Thanks Fernando,

Keep us informed

SweetPea,

Oh yes, you'll have to forgive me, not only am I old but I talk to many people everyday about many subjects.

Ok, your buddy is partially right. A sump/refugium is what you want but you want to avoid the wet/dry. The wet/dry will cause the problem to get worse. A properly set up sump with a refugium will eventually, along with water changes and pruning, solve your problem. The problem you face setting up a sump/refugium is space under the 20 gal. How deep is your sand bed in the 20 gal and what kind of sand is it?

Dick

sweetpea
02-27-2009, 11:27 AM
It is about 2 inches deep, in my 20 gallon tank not quite what you would call a deep sand bed, but I had added sand once, a while ago back in OCT because I had hardly any sand, (was gonna go sand less at first) I didnt wanna push my tanks limit so I added another bag but didnt go over board. It is a mix of old carrib live sand and a bag of argonite like my other tank. My first tank, 30 gallon, seemed to have no problems with a 2 inch sand bed, but I did all this setup on my own and didnt know better when I did it. I dont really wanna touch my 30 gallon and add sand because it is operating fine. I have looked into sump ideas and can add a ten gallon tank under my 20 display. I have also found through trial and error a overflow box that is slim over flow box (Overflow Box - Up to 75 gallon - Single - 6 in. x 3 in. x 10 in. | Wet/Dry Aquarium Filters | Filters | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com (http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/237621/product.web?gdftrk=xh23lc0p/7HDy~g3JgKLc6xLrR~G68GDd7Yzr9FJLw9tMGerb4cBVwH4/OYOMdMguV~zYwj20w0xtIaSL8FDb6CXVnovv1SYUfD5MX30T3L PYkgFenwp4kBm8CVFY2vDfRP6/QBPCB2DQfepOAMQ4D28C/FL1oSZBrtuuzixDvQeVF6u1wLpL0ZeYfx5JmRNIDZayPG18zGs Jw60a8Lu0CxobgbupRzXdhf2qOgcDZo_)) that will fit between my tank and the wall. I have two different pumps I aquired from a friend that may work as well.

sweetpea
02-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Fernando:

I broke the algae fix back out of my box of goodies. Have you had any increases in nitrate/nitrite phosphate? Didnt have a problem with this until I started using algae fix again. I am not happy.

Fernando Chang
02-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Sweetpea !

Well I just started the algaefix marine last wednesday and honestly I have not checked yet the nitrate/nitrie and phosphate levels. certainly I check sometime next week as today I will put the second dose !! I think I have to leave more time for the product to work also to develop the nitrate/nitrite and PO4 iif any.
keeping you posted !
By the way how you know if the product is doing the effect ?? any signs ??

Regards
Fernando

sweetpea
03-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Um.... I have been doing a lot of pruning so it has helped. I have tried the product before and is doesnt work well unless you do some manual work. To be quite honest I wasnt really happy with it either time I have used it, others have told me it was great. I am hesitant about dosing the tank after I had an increase in nitrate/trite and phosphate. The levels are going down but I dont know if some of the die off caused this. Keep me posted as well.

Fernando Chang
03-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Sweetpea !

Noted yr comments I will do so. hopefully I will be able to do some reading sometime next week after the third dose.

Regards
Fernando

Fernando Chang
03-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Sweetpea !!

Just finished to read my water parameters after the third dose of the algaefix marine:
Nitrate:

Fernando Chang
03-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Sweetpea !

Pls disregard my previous msg pressed the wrong key !!
Just finished to read my water parameters for the first time after the third dose of the algaefix marine:
nitrate: 5 mg/l
phosphate: 0
amonia: 0
salinity: 1.025
alkalinity: 7.4 dkh/2.63 meg/l
calcium: 420 mg/l
magnesium: 1280
PH:

Fernando Chang
03-07-2009, 12:26 AM
continuation:
Ph: 8.2
Temp: 24°C
Also I did my first cleaning/siphoning of the dead algae was very easy to remove siphoning without using any brush. still some are with the algae but I know that I have to keep adding the correct dose until the algae is under controlled. during the cleaning or siphoning I changed abt 20 glns of water (prepared).
today have add the fourth dose of algaefix marine.
keeping you posted.

Regards
Fernando C.

sweetpea
03-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Did you have nitrate before?

Fernando Chang
03-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Sweetpea !

Yeap, abt 6 months ago the nitrates was high 20 and the started the growing of the algae. now it is 5 which is good and safe level.

Regards
Fernando

sweetpea
03-08-2009, 11:43 PM
I did another dose, I am kinda doing this experiment with you against my better judgement. I am still undecided it it is the product or my manual work making the progress.

Fernando Chang
03-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Sweetpea !!

You wonīt believe how many times I did the manual removal etc... without success. I think you should try again but pls follow the directions and do not overdose. Apparently this product works very slowly and just need a lot of patient and perseverance. I am planning to make the next cleaning and siphon next thursday before my sixth dose. this monday I will apply my fifth dose.
keeping you posted.

Regards
Fernando Chang

Fernando Chang
03-09-2009, 12:16 AM
Sweetpea !

fogot to mention that I did not make any manual removal since I started with this product. I did a manual removal last thursday just to remove the death algae and was very easy to remove without brushing just siphoning.

Regards
Fernando C.

sweetpea
03-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I have been following the directions I think Im on dose five or so.

Fernando Chang
03-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Sweetpea !

thanks, I will be adding today the fifth dose.

Regards
Fernando C.

bklynreefdude
03-19-2009, 04:23 PM
I agree with most all of the recommended methods, dosing chemicals as a last resort. Here are two easy and cheap methods I've found work.

1. Turn off your lights for 3 days, 2 if you have a lot of SPS and are worried
2. Buy some cheap mini bamboo skewers at the grocery store and twirl out as much hair algae as you can, just poke the base of the algae and twirl, most satisfying!

These both will give your cleanup crew a chance to catch up.

Good Luck!

rayme07
03-19-2009, 06:32 PM
2. Buy some cheap mini bamboo skewers at the grocery store and twirl out as much hair algae as you can, just poke the base of the algae and twirl, most satisfying!

Smart thinking it's kind of like one of those weed pulling things except for your reef. lol

Fernando Chang
03-19-2009, 09:18 PM
hi folks !

thanks yr comments however the algaefix marine is working but slowly and guidance added yesterday the no.8 dose of the product. Really works for me !!
keep you posted.

Regards
Fernando C.

sweetpea
03-24-2009, 09:11 AM
I have been trying still. I like the skewer idea. I also baught some more emralds and turbos.

Fernando Chang
03-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi folks !

Good day, just to keeping you posted on my battle against the hair algae, I have added already the no.9 dose of the algaefix marine and honestly is really working. the hair algae has gone but still some resistance of some areas for example on the side panels. I will try to send you some photos later.

Regards
Fernando C.

sweetpea
04-03-2009, 11:17 AM
I have added more cleaner crew, and I think we are making some progress on the hair algae. Now I have a mix, hair and cyano. I think I am merging into another stage, maybe it will start clearing up. I brush and blow and all that good stuff, Im just gonna keep it up.

spanko
04-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Interesting thread. Sweetpeas be aware that as the algae dies off, if you don't remove it the nutrient will leech back into the water. This is what may be fueling the cyano outbreak. JMO.

Fernando Chang
04-10-2009, 12:42 AM
Hi folks !

Just to keep you pósted on my battle against the hair algae using the algaefix marine. at this moment I have added the no.14 doses of this product and honestly the hair algae has gone almost 96%. I do siphon cleaning of the dead algae every 2 weeks. I will have more news next week abt the water parameters.

Regards
Fernando C.

sweetpea
04-13-2009, 02:10 PM
I just dont know what I am doing wrong. I blow off the algae and brush it, I have even blown under the rocks. The filter sucks most of the stuff out and I have been cleaning the filter when it gets all that junk on it two. Should I let the cyano just consume and consume, and maybe there will be nothing left to consume eventually. I am getting frustrated. I dont know what else to do.

sweetpea
04-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Do you think a rather large water change will help? Maybe 50%.

Fernando Chang
04-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Sweetpea !

Why you donīt try the algaefix marine ?? is working slowly in my tank the hair algae is almost gone 98% the algae is dying !! I took the water readings yesterday:
salinity: 1.025, alkalinity: 8.6dkh/3.09 meg/l, PH. 8.1/8.2, phosphate: 0.00, nitrate:
less than 5 mg/l, calcium: 440 mg/l, magnesio: 1350 mg/l, amonia: 0 , temp: 24/25°C.
I am doing cleaning/siphon of the dead algae every 2 weeks .

Regards
Fernando C.

sweetpea
04-14-2009, 12:09 AM
I have been using it as directed on the bottle no luck.

Fernando Chang
04-14-2009, 12:15 AM
Sweetpea !

very strange but it is possible in yr tank. mine is working slowly at least I do not have the hair algae alive, only dying algae very difficult to remove. but I am on top on this problem. the soft corals and fishes are healthy with no problems.
tomorrow I will do the next cleaning/siphing of the dead algae.
keeping you posted.

Regards
Fernando C.

CarmieJo
04-14-2009, 01:37 AM
What kind of filter do you have? How often are you cleaning it?

Fernando Chang
04-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Carmiejo !

Well what I have is sump/refugium with the flwg set-up:
the sump is abt 75 glns total divided in 3 sections:
1st chamber I have placed the protein skimmer which is a AquaC 240V excellent unit,
2nd chamber have a DSB abt 2 inches with chaetomorpha and 3rd chamber I have placed 3 reactors carbon, phospahte and nitrate removal also the inlet of the pump to return the water to the tank. I do not have any particular filter in my reef. Do you think I need a filter ? if Yes what kind or type ?

Regards
Fernando

sweetpea
04-16-2009, 02:42 PM
I only have a biowheel, for a 50 gallon on my 20 gallon set up. I clean the filter once a month, add new carbon bags and poly filters.

Fernando Chang
04-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Sweetpea !

Yr tank is very small ! very strange that the algaefix marine did not work in yr tank.
Mine is a 150 glns tank + the 75 glns sump (approx.).
I took the reading of the water quality yesterday nd found in excellent conditions:
salinity: 1.025, Calcium: 440 mg /l, phosphate: 0, nitrate: less than 5 mg/, alkalinity: 8.6dkh/3.09 meg/l, Ph: 8.1/8.2, temp.: 24/25°C, ammonia: 0.00. I added the no.17 doses of the Algaefix Marine. it is working but too small.

Regards
Fernando C.

johnmaloney
04-18-2009, 02:23 AM
this was going way back, but sea hares shouldn't be kept as cleaners, they are more like pets. Advanced care requirements, and very needy doesn't make for a good cleaner. Hermits tear up GHA, turbos, chitons, limpets etc...

CarmieJo
04-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Fernando,

I think that sump set up sounds good. I would encourage you to add to the DSB as you really need 4-5" to have a good anareobic zone that will denitrify your tank. Other than that I wouldn't change it.

sweetpea
04-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Well I am gonna set up a sump on my 30 gallon just ordered the over flow box. Then I was going to do this on my 20 gallon if I like the way it went. Shyould I add any macro algae? Would I have to add a compact over the macro algae if I put it in a sump, could the light just be a basic fresh water light, you know those cheap dinky one cause I have that already. Can you put marco right in your display tank.?

CarmieJo
04-19-2009, 12:57 AM
Most any light will do for cheato. Currently I am using this light.

Coralife Mini Aqualight PowerCompact Fixtures (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage%7EPageAlias%7Elighting_powercompac t_compact-fluorescent_coralife_mini_aqualight_lamp_fixtures. html)

But I have also used a CF bulb and shop reflector from the hardware store.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/CarmieJo/DSC_1382.jpg

Fernando Chang
04-19-2009, 01:11 AM
Carmiejo !

thanks for the photo of yr sump/refugium noted the chaeto has only one light !! how many hours ? the chaeto I have started to desintegrate and I am suspect that is the algaefix marine probably is killing the chaeto. I do not think is the light because I have a compact 55W ON 24 hrs. or maybe is the low nutrients because the phosphate is zero and the nitrates is less than 5 mg/l.
what is yr opinion ?

Regards
Fernando C.

johnmaloney
04-19-2009, 01:33 AM
algaecide kills chaeto, especially hat brand, I know a few people who have that problem. It will kill a few other simpler macro algae too.

CarmieJo
04-19-2009, 01:41 AM
Fernando, I have my sump on a 12 hour reverse photo period. I think that you are right tbe Algae Fix is also causing your cheato to disintegrate. You want to get it out of the tank so it doesn't release nutrients back into your aquarium. My tank tests 0 for nitrate and phosphate and I have no trouble growing macros.

Fernando Chang
04-19-2009, 07:22 AM
John !

thanks for yr advice unfortunately I can not do nothing abt this as I have to continue the battle against the hair algae. honestly the product is working but slowly.
fortunately I have a friend that have chaeto in his sump so when I finish the treatment I can get some from him.

Regards
Fernando

Fernando Chang
04-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Carmiejo !

good morning, thanks for yr comments now I know that this product is killing the chaeto. I will take remaining chaeto OFF and will wait the finish of the treatment. AS I indicated to John I have a friend that has some chaeto in his sump.
guidance, I can not get chaeto in Panama, I got this in New York last december.

Regards
Fernando

CarmieJo
04-19-2009, 12:33 PM
If you have to go back to NY to get more cheato you could try to save it by setting it up in a little tank or bucket with new saltwater and an air bubbler. It is pretty hardy stuff.

johnmaloney
04-19-2009, 02:02 PM
John !

thanks for yr advice unfortunately I can not do nothing abt this as I have to continue the battle against the hair algae. honestly the product is working but slowly.
fortunately I have a friend that have chaeto in his sump so when I finish the treatment I can get some from him.

Regards
Fernando

good thing about chaeto is you can always find someone to trade it with you. Maybe a more complex macro algae would better serve you after to test to see if the product is gone before risking the chaeto. Panama should have plenty of options if you snorkel.

Fernando Chang
04-20-2009, 12:31 AM
Carmiejo !

thanks yrs msg I have friend that have chaeto from me so I will ask for more when the algae treatment is finish. when ? I donīt know yet.
keep you posted.

Fernando Chang
04-20-2009, 12:32 AM
John !

unfortunately in Panama there is no chaeto but there are a lot of different caulerpas.
understand the chaeto is the best for the sump/refugium.

Regards
Fernando C.

CarmieJo
04-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Caulerpa is actually very good as it grows fast & takes up lots of nutrients. You should light it 24/7 and prune it weekly to keep it from going sexual.

johnmaloney
04-21-2009, 10:15 PM
when adding caulerpa, less is more at first to see how it does. Especially true if collected, collected algae can be temermental at first.

Fernando Chang
04-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Hi folks !

I tried caulerpa before but did not succeed now I started with the chaeto but at this moment I am in the middle of battle against the hair algae.

Regards
Fernando C.

sweetpea
04-25-2009, 01:14 PM
So I have rerouted some of my pumos to add differnt circulation though the tank and have also added some blue legged guys. We will see how it goes.

Fernando Chang
04-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Sweetpea !

I tried the blue legs but there were not enogh for amount of hair algae. I tried also the sea urchins worked better but as I said my tank was really infected with the HA.
Now is controlled with the algaefix marine.

Regards
Fernando C.

sweetpea
04-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Fernando do u use RO water or distilled?

Fernando Chang
04-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Sweetpea !

Well I use RO water when I have to prepare the salt water also to replace the evaporated water via the kalkwasser.
Why ??

Regards
Fernando C.

sweetpea
04-25-2009, 02:04 PM
I was just having a discussion about RO vs distilled. I was using RO from my LFS until my buddy got his RODI working again. Then I had algae problems. So some one mentioned that he may need new filters. I dont know if he ever changed them after repairing the system so I thought that maybe RO i was getting from him may be tainted. So I am going to get it from my LFS again at 8.50 a case yuck, untill I buy my own RODI which I was going to do in the first place for 120 bucks. I have to wait a little bit though because season is comming to an end, so I will have to save up for this machine. Some one had said distilled water was cheaper but I have been doing a lot of reading on how it is processed in copper pipes.

Fernando Chang
04-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Sweetpea !

Ah ok noted I always use the RO water on everything, I change the filters approx every 5/6 months. I got my algae in my tank because of the heavy feeding to my corals also the fishes. Although I have a good skimmer Aqua C 240V !!

Regards
Fernando C.

CarmieJo
04-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Nicki, do you have a TDS meter? You can buy a portable one inexpensively and use it to test the water no matter if you buy it or make it yourself.

sweetpea
04-30-2009, 10:35 AM
I am gonna look into the TDS meter, I just found out about it. I have rerouted my pumps, which has worked well in my 30 gallon. I have also done a great scrubbing in the 20 gallon, it looks great! So now we will see how it goes. I am against the red slime remove because I never saw any real changes when dosed in my tank, but I had a container lying around and went for a half dose after cleaning the 20 gallon maybe as a prevention to see if i could stop it before it started again. i call for a water change 48 hours after, which I need to do to try and correct this issue any way. I will keep everyone posted.

I have also just received my over flow box for the 30 gallon, and have hooked the box up to the tank but other than that i have not added lines or pumps to the sump. I am gonna run my bio wheel for a while along side the sump so i was thinking, DSB, and what 5 or 10 lb of live rock since the sump is only 10 gallons. maybe add macro algae. I have never done this before and dont want to get to involved. I am house hunting and will hopefully be moving in less than 6 months, just down the road thank god (having to move two tanks). I am not sure if I will purchase a larger tank or move the two and reset them up so i dont want to buy additional equipment that may not be used in the next set up.

I do want to try the sump out though, atleast for the next few months until I move.

CarmieJo
04-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Sounds good. Red slime remover of any brand that I have seen is erythromycin, an antibiotic. It will kill the red slime as well as other bacteria in your tank. If you have not corrected the problem that caused the red slime in the first place IT WILL COME BACK.

I think that you will be happy with the sump setup. You don't have to have LR and or LS in the sump if you have enough in the DT. If I was to chose one of LR, LS or macro, I would go with macro. Cheato is a good choice, its hardy and easy to care for.

sweetpea
05-04-2009, 01:55 PM
So skip the DSB, and the LR and just put macro? I wanted to get rid of the filter (biowheel on my display) so I was gonna build an area in my sump for a filter pad, then bioballs with a egg crate, the a chamber with LR and DSB then a bubble trap and finally the return. I was gonna put macro in with the LR and DSB. I was also wondering I think I should run the biowheel for a while before removing it. If I didnt add the filter and the bio balls I was gonna hook the biowheel up on the sump for extra filtration. Does this all sound wrong.
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd18/nicolebrent/sump-fuge.jpg

sweetpea
05-04-2009, 01:56 PM
pS I have no CLUE what Im doing but have read through many sites.

johnmaloney
05-04-2009, 01:59 PM
do all 3. the more the merrier. per volume the chaeto will be the most efficient, but since you can't light it from underneath, (unless you get a submersible light or something), might as well take advantage of that real estate.

sweetpea
05-04-2009, 04:16 PM
do all 3. the more the merrier. per volume the chaeto will be the most efficient, but since you can't light it from underneath, (unless you get a submersible light or something), might as well take advantage of that real estate.
All three in that compartment, but should I run the biowheel on the side of the sump or do the bioball thing, or will the DSB LR and Chaeto be enough filtration without the biowheel? And should I run the biowheel for a while until the sump matures or can I just get rid of the wheel once the sump is hooked up.

CarmieJo
05-04-2009, 09:21 PM
The issue with a bio-wheel or bio-balls or anything like that is that they do a great job converting ammonia to nitrite to nitrate but it stops there. This is fine for FO but doesn't work well for a reef since you will usually battle nitrates. If you have 1-1.5 lbs of LR per gallon and a DSB you won't need any other filtration. With good husbandry you can be successful with the LR and a SSB or BB. You will need flow.

If your sump space it limited I would add macro over sand or rock. If you have room in the sump I would first add a DSB especially if you don't have one in the DT and then LR. There is no need to buy LS in a bag, your rock will populate it with all the bacteria you need.

sweetpea
05-24-2009, 05:24 PM
I failed at getting my sump to work. - dumped the argonite sand n argonite CC into both displays looks great in 30 gallon seeded well. The 20 gallon cyano toook over my CC also. I am gonna try the sump after vacay don't want a failure n a flood while my ma is looking after the fishies. Do u really think adding the extra water volume may help fight my cyano. I keep cyphoning blowing a changing water no luck.I am loosing my mind! I am having issues with pH and alk so maybe this is not helping my situations can't get ph above 8.0. GRRRRRRRRR

goblin072
09-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Sea Hares are not for experts. I just put them in and they did the rest. You don't need to feed them as they will munch on all you hair algae. If no algae don't get them.

They are very interesting to watch, mine are very active.

Can you go into more detail re: brown/yellow slime when mixing your salt? Noticed same thing and thought it was from my ro filters needing to be changed even though tds out was 0. Do you have a link to a thread re: this issue?