PDA

View Full Version : any alternatives to overflow for sump?

romeropaul
04-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Hi there,

My tank sits too close to the wall, and it is already filled with water. Since it is a non-drilled acrylic tank with a 6" eurobrace around the top (except, of course lol, the part 2" from the wall), I cannot install either a conventional external (too close to wall) or internal (dont want to drain the 250 gal.s +).

Does anyone know of an alternative to an overflow for a sump or have you been able to manufacture a super slim external overflow box?

thanks,

Paul

wwest
04-18-2007, 09:00 PM
It would be possible to make your own very thin one, same concept but thinner and very long. But the next thing you would have to look at is the size of the plumbing. I would say a 250gal tank would need something in the ball park of 2 + inches and multiple drains as well. I would recommend looking into a hang on the back that you could actually hang on the side and then hide it or something. If you make a really slim one then you would be limiting yourself to viewing inside of the overflow to watch for build up or critters getting sucked in. I wish i could help you more..

If you owned the house you could always cut out the wall :)

romeropaul
04-18-2007, 11:37 PM
lol,

thanks for the great post wwest. I never thought of that! the sheet rock could be repaired when the tank leaves! I think Ill order two of the smaller ones from aquatraders (the only thing id buy from them at this point). If I get these; it will be 2x 1" bulkheads..seems to be ok...hmmm maybe ill get the single large one which has a 1.5" bulkhead. They advertise 1400gph, which would be plenty for that one.

Thanks,

Paul

keyozoxmfc
04-19-2007, 12:03 AM
or i think this is possible because im trying it..lol..you can have the sump mounted higher than your own tank and have a bulkhead drilled into that. and then have water pumped up to the sump..so basically its like reverse of what is normally done...the DT acts as the sump and the sump acts like to the display

romeropaul
04-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi,

I thought of setting up my sump outside to act as a frag tank, but that would mean about 6' off the ground to get above the inside tank.

Paul

keyozoxmfc
04-19-2007, 06:55 PM
ohh well im setting mine up where the top of the tank is going to be about..maybe 6 feet off the ground..its going behind my tank though

Seahorsedreams
04-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Just for reference, you can't make a HOB overflow too thin because a certain amount of water has to flow through there at a certain given time. You have to be careful when making your own that you don't make one too small to handle the flow of the tank.

wwest
04-19-2007, 09:44 PM
I have seen a thin one before and it has the same area in the overflow its just thinner. Same water flow just different shape.