PDA

View Full Version : Phyto culture food alternatives

George
04-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Has anyone used any of the standard plant foods for culturing phyto (i.e. not the stuff that Florida Aqua Farms and others sell)?

I have been using this stuff Schultz :: All-Purpose Liquid Plant Food - 1011 - 1012 - 10148 (http://www.schultz.com/ProductCategories/GardenFertilizer/AllPurposeLiquid/). The chemical list doesn't contain anything that isn't in reef

The algae grows well, but when I initially mixed the liquid into the water (the RO + salt + food mix), it made a cloudy precipitate that never re-mixed. I figured the phyto would eat it, but it's still in the water.

I'm a little leery of whatever this might be ending up in my tank.

wwest
04-18-2007, 09:15 PM
How much water, salt and MG are you using?

I used it for a short while and i didn't have any cloudiness but it seemed to me the pyhto grew to fast. When i switched to the F/2 formula the cultures looked healthier. IMO anyways

George
04-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Per Rob's podcast, I'm using 1.019 water + 2 tsp of fertilizer. I think I may just order a jug from Florida Aqua Farms.

Rob
04-22-2007, 01:29 PM
many try and save money using other products like this, but i find its not always worth it.
my "formula" is also based on the use of the FAF stuff, and probably does not equate to the stuff you were using.

IMO, its best to stick with the FAF stuff or the stuff from Algagen, i currently use both

George
05-01-2007, 09:25 AM
I did some reading and some experimentation. Miracle Grow All Purpose Plant Food (liquid in a yellow bottle w/green cap) doesn't leave the water cloudy and grows phyto quite well.