PDA

View Full Version : Tunze nano stream problems

NaClFinatic
04-17-2007, 12:51 PM
I was filling a tank with RO water and was testing my Tunze nano stream 6025 in it. What I see is that it starts in reverse at least 50% of the time ans actually seemed to be more liek 80% of the time. I tried letting it run a little (10-20sec) but it just continued in reverse.

This is a great little pump for the size, current, and power use, but usually running in reverse is not going to work for me! Does anyone else experience this?

Also I have to say is is a little loud. Seems to be just vibration with the bracket because if I take it out and hold it is is quiet. Of course I guess mounted to the glass helps distribute the sound out of the tank also.

and finally I already broke one of the four little wimpy tabs that fasten holding bracket into the magnet. this I dont care about because it woudl be not big deal to super glue it together permenently.

Rob
04-17-2007, 02:05 PM
i have not used them but want to tag along on this thread because i really want to get 2 of them, and im interested in peoples thoughts

its these or the new hydor pumps since my LFS now caries them

NaClFinatic
04-17-2007, 03:14 PM
I was planning to get a 6045 also, but waiting to find out about this. i check on the Tunze forum on RC and saw a few folks that had the noise problems but hey didnt mention reverse. Their issue was the prop shaft disconnected and it is supposed to be fixed in the unit. So I will check that tonight and am hoping that is the issue and can just get it replaced.

JayBeDriften
04-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Interesting I heard they were great but I personally decided to go with the Eco Tech Vortech since its only about $150.00 more then their Tunze Nano Stream 6055 and its controllable and more versatile in my opinion. Have you tried contacting Tunze directly to address the problem?

NaClFinatic
04-17-2007, 09:47 PM
They have a forum on RC that I just posted to. I've only seen the vortech for over 300. If I can get it for 150 I might buy two! Where do I get it?

JayBeDriften
04-17-2007, 09:52 PM
I meant $150 dollors more the the Tunze Nano Stream 6055 which goes for $200.00 I'm purchasing a Vortech for my 47 gallon Cube Aqarium.

NaClFinatic
04-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Oh yeah for a controllable powerhead I would probably go with the Vortech. But the tunze 6025 is only around $65 I think. For the size and current I love it. ...when it goes forward!

TerraC
04-18-2007, 04:37 AM
There have been a few reports on UK forums about this problem. Also in some of the earlier models the impeller shaft had started to rust so were recalled and/or replaced. check the shaft for signs of rust and contact Tunze if so.

on the hydor pumps some of the earlier models have been recalled in the UK due to an earthing problem and the possibility of electric shock. new replacement models are said to be fine.

I guess early teething problems with both pheads.

I'm keeping an eye on things at the moment to see how it pans out. I have a Maxijet1200 I want to replace with either a Hydor or a Tunze sometime in the future but i'm letting others do the beta testing :unsure:

PSH
04-18-2007, 07:59 AM
There were a few people on RC that had problems with the tabs breaking off. They were able to contact Tunze and get a replacement. Also a lot of complaints about the vibration noise. There have been various post about how people are going about quieting them down. It was these reasons that I decided to go with Koralia pumps. Well that and nobody ever seemed to have them in stock.

NaClFinatic
04-18-2007, 04:51 PM
The Tunze rep is shipping me a new prop assembly. He says it is too tight. I am hoping that not only fixes the reverse but also helps the vibration. I will update when I receive it and give a try.

Rob
04-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Jay, help me understand why you think the Vortech is more versatile.
the NanoStream 6045 and 6055 can be "controlled" so lets not include that.

i actually think the nanostreams and hydors are more attractive to me since they can be angled as i desire, vs having to point forward only...

NaClFinatic
04-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Actually I thought only the 6055 can be controlled.

Anyway, I did get my new prop/magnet today and it now clicks a few seconds then runs in the correct direction!

Still vibrates a little when using the magnetic holder but I don't really have anything to compare it to right now and I havent glued the holder and magnet together yet. The vibration is definitely not loud and I think I will order another tonight. I have to say that when I first tried it out I was not too impressed with the current but after running a day it was much much stronger. I put a few rocks in 30 gallons and it makes plenty of current in there.

NaClFinatic
04-23-2007, 09:10 PM
BTW, what I like most about these pumps is the size. More output for the size than anything else I've seen. Maybe I will get rid of my 6060 that I havent even used and just run 3-4 6025s. I was planning to get a 6045 but I think I will just get another 6025 for now.

Rob
04-23-2007, 10:59 PM
that is actually my plan, a vew 6025 or 6045 (if i can find them) or the Hydors

yeah, im not sur eon the controllers, i thought it was the two larger ones.. but im prolly wrong.. lol

NaClFinatic
04-25-2007, 09:31 PM
So the Tunze rep told me to check on the disc at the bottom of the shaft and when I removed it the shaft came with it. But the shaft should not come out so that is probably why I had the vibration. I expect to to hear back tomorrow.

Regardless I still like this pump. I would order more but they seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Rob, Marine Depot does have the 6045 in stock. But I'm waiting for 6025 cause that seems like plenty of flow. (Unless I may get rid of my 6060 and use a couple 6045s instead...)

NaClFinatic
04-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Well they are out of replacements and I will have to wait a couple weeks. At least it is running, just a little bit of noise for now. And the flow is great. I'm running it in 30gal with some curing rock. Perfect flow for this tank. MD has them in stock again (both sizes) and as soon as I finalize my plumbing needs another one is going in my order too.