PDA

View Full Version : BTA on the Move

CarmieJo
04-16-2007, 11:01 PM
My BTA has been on the same rock in the same place in my tank for a year. I was away over the weekend and when the rest of my family got up on Sunday he had moved off of his rock. It seems as if he is still in the same place today. This anemone has grown to the size of a dinner plate and is probably 12" tall when extended. I am wondering if he moved because he couldn't stretch out?

Anyhow this location is better if he stays there because it lets me put some of my corals up higher. Last night I took a rock that is far bigger than a softball and put it on top of the rock where the BTA lived. I just watched my maroon clown knock it off that rock and down to the next level and then hit it again knocking it further down! Geez!

wwest
04-16-2007, 11:18 PM
I am wondering if he moved because he couldn't stretch out?

Very possible, usually Anemones move when they are stressed, new to a tank or i guess it could just want a change of area. I have always thought of stressed as either to close to other corals or like you said just want to stretch out. If an area is to small for one it will either over come the area or move. I bet yours is just moving for that reason, however you might want to leave the original area open just in case it wants to go back there. If you don't want to go back then yes block it. I have done that in the past and the anemones found a new home and were fine. I would just keep an eye on it for further development.

Rob
04-17-2007, 02:18 PM
funny thing about them.. i have had mine for about 4 years now. its been in this tank for 2 years, i pit it in the tank on a rock the same way it was in my old tank, and its never moved. its been on this rock for years.

about a month ago it split and moved.. the one died, but the main anemone is healthy as can be.. looking great, but over the last few weeks it has been popping around.. all in the same areas but moving every few days.

i guess what im getting at is yes, they can move for stress reasons or maybe its cause they just need to.. i not sure hat caused mine, but because it split and died (just the one died) like that maybe mine was stress related

petunia
04-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Carmie Jo... maybe you'll have a new addition to the tank soon.

CarmieJo
04-18-2007, 09:07 PM
I keep hoping that it will split but instead it just keeps growing.