PDA

View Full Version : Megaflows as tube fuges?

bullfrog
04-13-2007, 01:44 AM
Ok, so up till now I have been just reading and not doing much posting since I’m not really a reefer yet. I do finally have a tank. (with nothing in it) And I’ve been reading books and forums for a year, but zero experience so far. However, I have a question I was wondering if anybody had opinions about it. I’ve heard different people talk about the benefits of cryptic or benthic zones in the tank or refugium, and I was wondering if anybody had ever thought of using the overflow boxes on bottom drilled tanks for that. I remember the DIY Tube Fuge video from a few months back and have been thinking “Why couldn’t I use my Megaflows for that?” Obviously this is a different application. His was a nano tank with nitrate problems—if I remember right. I have a 180 gallon All-Glass tank with the dual Megaflows, and am planning a DSB and a sump/fuge underneath it. (For space reasons, I have to limit myself to only what I can fit under the tank. So I’m still trying to figure out the best size for that.) But what do you all think of also taking advantage of the dead space in those tall overflows to hold live rock or whatever in a low light, low flow zone and encourage whatever sponges or bacteria or other critters to grow back there that will take up some of the extra nitrates in the tank? All the water movement will be at the top of the overflows since the water goes over the top edge of the overflows and then out through the top of the drain pipe. And other than the pipes, those overflows are just a lot of empty space down to the bottom of the tank. Then again, I’m inexperienced, so maybe somebody knows something that I haven’t thought of. So I’d love to hear some thoughts from some veteran reefers. Thanks!

While you’re at it, feel free to share any other thoughts on what you wish you had done if you could start all over again. Like I said, all I have is a tank and a dream so far. I’m working on making a stand and canopy, and the next step, will probably be plumbing and a sump.

Seahorsedreams
04-13-2007, 12:33 PM
I know this sounds like a really good idea.... but I'm sorry to say , it is not. An overflow is setup to run a certain amount of water through that area.... lessening that space will impede function. You also don't want to be encouraging the growth of anything back there, a clogged pipestand is not a happy standpipe.

bullfrog
04-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the insight Renee. I was thinking once everything was up and running nicely that I wouldn't need to mess around with the stand pipes much. But I can see how if there was a problem a bunch of loose junk back there might cause problems.
But how much flow really takes place in the lower part of the overflows. I know that you don't want to impede water movement into the standpipe, but well below the opening and strainer on the durso pipe there seems to be a about 600 cubic inches of unused space inside where water movement is inconsequential. It seems like you ought to be able to make use of that space.