PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else make these brackets to hang lights?

pammy
04-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Hello. Has anyone seen any similiar type brackets to the ones in the photo? I may not be able to get these particuliar brackets, and can't hang from the ceiling, so was looking for an alternative. Possible to make them myself if no one sells them?

Thanks.

Pam

KyleO
05-19-2007, 10:11 PM
No, but if you find something please share.............I am looking to do just about the same thing.

salt-rookie
05-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Looks like an easy DIY project! Does the tank set on the base of the stand for stability??

wwest
05-25-2007, 11:23 PM
IMO, I would make my own. Easier that way lol :) and sometimes cheaper.

What i would do is find some heavy duty light weight tubing and have someone bend the tubing 90 degrees like in the photo. The reason i would use tubing is because it disperses the weight better and you shouldn't have to worry about it. That depending on how heavy the light is though but you can always add another bracket or two in the middle :)

I think you might be able to find stainless steal tubing about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch at most steal shops and they might be able to bend it for you when you buy it. Also depending on the tube i would have them drill the mounting holes as well. Some steal or material a little weaker than steal can be a pain to drill. If they drill it then they should have a drill press with a clamp to hold the tubing and make it a lot easier.

salt-rookie
05-26-2007, 01:15 AM
I'd think you'd want it chrome plated....

wwest
05-26-2007, 01:30 AM
The thing i don't like about steal and other material being chrome plated before the modification is that when you go to bed the pipe the chrome may crack and you can't heat it up or the chrome will show heat exposer. You could get a plain peace of tubing and then have it dipped when your done but it would cost an arm and a leg. :) Polished stainless steal looks just like chrome anyways.

PSH
05-26-2007, 08:40 AM
I wouldn't use steel in a saltwater environment. Aluminum would be your best bet. Powder coated even better. Same stuff most light fixtures are made out of. Oh and I have never seen lighting mounts like that anywhere. It does give that tank a nice clean look.

wwest
05-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Stainless steal would be ok in that situation.

pammy
05-26-2007, 10:59 AM
I ended up hanging the light from the ceiling. I thought the ceiling was much too high and there's a big slope. Thought it wouldn't look good hung from the ceilin. It actually looks great!! I think better than if I had bought the brackets or made some. Thanks for all your input.
Pam