PDA

View Full Version : Adding critters

cinematek
04-08-2007, 12:59 AM
Hi all,

After months and months of research I finally got my tank started! I set it up 5 weeks ago and it finished cycling a little over a week ago. It's a 25G reef, 32 lbs LR, 2" SB. This afternoon I finally went to my favorite lfs and bought some critters for my clean up crew.

I got 10 margarita snails, 10 hermits, 1 nassarius and 1 red legged crab, which my wife has named Taco.

Does anyone have a favoirte rule of thumb for types/quantity of clean up crew? Thanks.

Seahorsedreams
04-08-2007, 02:47 AM
Can I direct you here as to how I would stock a tank...

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/new-saltwater/4029-help-90g-reef-cleaning-crew.html

I forgot to mention margarita snails in the other thread. Are they the ones with a little mother of pearl visible if you scratch their shell? Like these?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/seahorsedreams/acove2.jpg

This is after I took a Dremel to it....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/seahorsedreams/acove.jpg

These snails are not appropriate for our tanks because they are a cool water species and will cook and die slowly overtime in the warm water.

The stocking ratio for hermits should be about 1 per 10 gallons, so your way overstocked, IMO.

cinematek
04-08-2007, 11:18 AM
The shell looks very similar, although I pulled one out and scratched at the shell but saw no mother of pearl. Part of one of their shells looks shiny, though, so it might be the same type of snail.

Here's my question - Why would a local store be selling a type of snail that's totally inappropriate for a tropical reef tank? Let's assume the worst - let's say that they're dishonest, and in it to make a quick buck, so they want to sell snails that will die quickly so they can sell more snails. If that's true, why do *all* of my lfs have margaritas? Is every lfs *that* dishonest? The guys at my lfs run a really good looking operation and seem to be very knowledgable.

There has to be some other reason for them selling these snails. Or am I just naive to the way fish suppliers operate?

cinematek
04-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Oh yeah... and thanks for the link to that other thread, btw! ;-)

Seahorsedreams
04-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Here's my question - Why would a local store be selling a type of snail that's totally inappropriate for a tropical reef tank? Let's assume the worst - let's say that they're dishonest, and in it to make a quick buck, so they want to sell snails that will die quickly so they can sell more snails. If that's true, why do *all* of my lfs have margaritas? Is every lfs *that* dishonest? The guys at my lfs run a really good looking operation and seem to be very knowledgable.

There has to be some other reason for them selling these snails. Or am I just naive to the way fish suppliers operate?

I cannot answer for you why they keep these snails for sale. They are in our stores here as well and these snails are local. Have ya dipped your toes in the pacific lately..... brrrr. You might as well learn now that the LFS does not stock things that are best for the hobby. There are so many inappropriate critters up for sale. And every single store has something inappropriate in it right now for sale. Kind of like the catalina goby... you will see them everywhere too. I picked those snails from the cold water myself.... I'm not being over cautious on this one... they are a cold water snail.

wwest
04-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Peppermint shrimp are something to look out for too. Some stores sell catalina peppermint shrimps in place of Caribbean peppermint shrimp. Catalina's don't eat pest anemones they are just cleaners. But most people that are seeking peppermint shrimps want them for pest control. If you would like something to take with you to fish stores look for Ron Shimek's guide too inverts here is the link
Click here (http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyid=14420)

I call it my bible lol. It helps alot when looking for new critters

Seahorsedreams
04-08-2007, 01:54 PM
I love Ron. No man has all the answers to everything but I'd put my trust in him anyday.

Awesome quick guide... use it a few times a week at least. Read it from cover to cover.

wwest
04-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Yea, The last time i talked to him he wanted to publish another one. I really hope he does :)

CarmieJo
04-08-2007, 10:04 PM
They are sold in many, many stores. First of all, they don't die right away. The water in our tanks is SO much warmer than their native habitat their metabolism speeds way up and a critter that should live many years only lives months. So since they live a little while the hobbyists don't realize that the problem is that the animal is inappropriate. So, they go back to the LFS and buy some more. Also, maybe the LFS owner doesn't know that the snail is a cold water snail. So, since the customers keep buying them the store keeps ordering and selling them.