PDA

View Full Version : new 150 gal reef tank

MaryLou
04-07-2007, 10:33 AM
I am setting up a brand new reef tank and thought I would document my progress and get alot of help/tips on this thread as I go along. These are pictures of my tank as recommended by my LFS. Advice which I found out, was not the best. :no: The guy in the fish store had me set up a 30 gal refugium, with a few pieces of live rock and a mag 950 gph pump. (which I learned was woefully inadequate) He told me to separate the live rock from the pump with an 8 inch plexiglass wall, and that would be a sufficient filter system. After searching for a lighting system on the internet, I happened upon Dick from the Cultured Reef, who is having a refugium made for me. :cool!: As soon as I get this, I will post more pictures. I have read several books, but I have been learning more from these posts! I thank you all for any help you give me! I am new to salt water, I have had several freshwater tanks, including a 55 gal tank, for many years, but this is a very different experience! :D http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/incubus0344/DSC01246.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/incubus0344/DSC01247.jpg

keyozoxmfc
04-07-2007, 10:52 PM
WELCOME MARYLOU!

you made a great choice picking talkingreef! everyone here is very nice and helpful!

your tank looks llike its gonna be great! your refugium doesnt look all that bad, but what kinda are you havent made for you tank? is it acrylic? you may also want to incorporate a protein skimmer in with your refugium

JayBeDriften
04-07-2007, 11:29 PM
First of all welcome to Talking Reef and looks like its going to be the basis of a nice setup.

chase33
04-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Welcome and good luck. I see you have two overflows and if I were to guess they probably drain about 600 gph. It looks like it's about 4' from the sump to the top of your tank and the mag 950 is rated at 800 gph at 4'. For Mag Drive pumps, at the very least I would suggest the 12 which pumps 1100 gph at 4'. I have the 18 and it works well.
Depending on the skimmer you get, maybe you can use the 950 with it. At least you'd get some use out of it.

BTW, nice tank. Keep us updated with pics! :)

Amphibious
04-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Mary Lou,

Hey, South Jersey girl, welcome to TR. Hope things are going well for you. Your sump is in production.

Dick

CarmieJo
04-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Hi MaryLou and :welcome: to TR.

Dick is great and so is everyone else at TR. We're glad you're here. Have you seen this article Reefreaders - Refugium (http://www.reefreaders.com/content/view/25/1/)?

Amphibious
04-09-2007, 08:14 PM
CarmieJo,

Thank you for directing my friend Mary Lou and the rest of us to your well written article on sump/refugiums.

Congratulations on becoming a "published" author.

Dick

CarmieJo
04-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks Dick. :)

Shananagans
04-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Another Jersey reefer! I'm not alone! Welcome and good luck with your tank. You have a lot of tank to work with, I'm jealous.

FibberMcGee
04-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Welcome, great to have you aboard.

MaryLou
04-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks to everyone! I really appreciate all your advice. I am basically doing a "do over" of my set up, with a stronger pump and a protein skimmer. The owner of my LFS told me I didn't really need a protein skimmer, which I thought odd after what I had read. I am going to read that article on refugiums now, thanks for that link! And I'm glad to have another NJ reefer here, too! I'll continue to put pics here as I progress. I bought Yardright play sand, but it did not pass the vinegar test. Should I use it anyway? Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks again, everyone!!

V
04-13-2007, 12:12 PM
welcome to TR mary.

Havin Amp build stuff for you is like asking a pro for advice, old mate will never let you fail if your open to listening.

your products are differtent to ours so im not going to comment on specifics. i will mentions however................you do not want to add a protein skimmer to the refugium. future animals you wish to culture will be sucked into the intakes, best to have it somewhere near the first baffel of the future sump.

V
04-13-2007, 12:17 PM
hey Amp, what would you say to both of us writting some of our proper info for reefreaders? i value your opinion most my old friend, you think both you & i could pull off some wicked testimate pages for all to enjoy together. I'd like the oppertunity to mix it with one of our greats on paper.

CarmieJo
04-19-2007, 12:48 AM
hey Amp, what would you say to both of us writting some of our proper info for reefreaders? i value your opinion most my old friend, you think both you & i could pull off some wicked testimate pages for all to enjoy together. I'd like the oppertunity to mix it with one of our greats on paper.

I think that is a great idea!

Amphibious
04-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Veriann,

I don't know how I missed your posts. Sorry.

First, thank you for those glowing remarks. You better give me a guard rail for this pedestal you have me on, I could easily fall and get hurt. :agree:

I think we could corroborate on an article for the new on line Rag. Let's get together by e-mail ( dick@theculturedreef.com ), discuss topics and how we'll split the monetary reward Rob will pay for such diatribe. :rotfl:

CarmieJo
04-20-2007, 10:04 PM
I don't know how you are going to be able to spend all that money. :) Well actually, I don't know who you are going to be able to find to give you stuff!

petunia
04-21-2007, 02:22 PM
WELCOME!

Looking foward to seeing the progress of your tank.