PDA

View Full Version : 90G AGA MegaFlow PVC plumbing help

jwavec
04-04-2007, 12:18 PM
I am attempting use 1" PVC to plumb my tank, which is what the bulkhead size is on the Mega Overflow...however, in the directions for attaching flexible tubing to this overflow it states to use 1 1/4" ID tubing. So will it cause any problems(ie..gurgling) if I use PVC with and ID of 1"? Thanks

DreamWeaver
04-04-2007, 08:49 PM
I plumbed my 65G AGA Mega Overflow several weeks ago. I initially used 1 1/4" ID tubing. This fit well over the overflow drain and the 1" PVC input connector of my sump. However, I had lots of gurgling caused by the water hitting the top edge of the PVC sump pipe as it reached the end of the tubing.

I finally went with all 1" PVC. The only issue I had was attaching it to the drain pipe which was really seemed to be designed for tubing. A PVC connector for 1" PVC actually has an ID of close to 1 1/4" so it fit over the drain pipe but was a little loose. To prevent leaks at this connection I put about 2 inches of 1 1/2" ID tubing around the PVC connector/drain pipe joint and secured it with some clamps.

I have been very happy with the result as there is very little noise. I think the 1" PVC is the way to go.

poppin_fresh
04-04-2007, 11:13 PM
I found that the new megaflow kits dont accept rigid PVC. They instead use barbed fittings and flexible tubing :( I could not find any standard PVC pipes/fittings that would work with the newer style kits.

I am not sure what the heck AGA was thinking there. I do not trust flexible tubing and/or hose clamps.

NaClFinatic
04-05-2007, 09:51 AM
What's the quietest way to go? That's my plumbing goal.

I was figuring on using flex hose on my 90 gallon because it would be super easy and I thought it might be more quiet than PVC. I am jsut doing a simple drop into the skimmer section and return and all plumbing will be over the sump so I'm not real concerned about leaking either.

NaClFinatic
04-05-2007, 09:55 AM
jwavec, You might mention what return pump you are using and its rated flow for 4-5 ft. The flow rate could have some effect on this also. As far as the flow goes, 1" inside diameter should be fine to handle the drain unless you are using a bigger pump than you should on a 90.

chase33
04-09-2007, 11:37 PM
I've recently plumbed an megaflow overflow and ran into the same issue. I don't know what they were thinking with the bulkhead as it is not standard and makes it much harder to plumb. I wanted to use pvc but the directions say to use tubing and I didn't want to take a chance with any fittings over the bulkhead and cause a bigger problem by breaking it or something. First I tried 1" flex piping for the drain and after a few days it started leaking. Next I tried 1 1/4" flex and it too did not fit completely over the bulkhead so instead of taking a chance I got 1 1/2" flex and it fit snugly over the entire bulkhead. A few clamps and it's been fine ever since. Keeping my fingers crossed though. Mine too is directly over the sump so a leak won't be too bad. With the 1 1/2" flex the flow is quiet and it seems faster than when I used the 1" flex.

NaClFinatic
04-10-2007, 07:30 PM
I've heard a couple complaints about the AGA aoverflows. I'm now leaning toward making my own. I would like to get a good shutoff valve as the first thing below my return bulkhead.