PDA

View Full Version : Substrate question

jwavec
04-02-2007, 12:09 AM
I am need some help deciding which substrate to use for my DSB in my reef tank. Should I use the Carib-sea Aragamax super fine sand(0.2mm-1.2mm) in size or should I use the Carib-sea Seaflor special grade reef sand (1mm-1.7mm)? I like the look of the super fine sand better than the larger. Thanks.

V
04-02-2007, 12:53 AM
I cant speak for brand specific, from a mass collinisation & bed efficency stand point, the finner the better for both optomised performance & detritus collection. however between those ranges ones includes micro fine, the others fine grade. the choice i would leave to personal preference unless your peers have background info on your bagged sand that im unaware of. welcome to the site to bud.

CarmieJo
04-02-2007, 07:35 AM
I have Southdown which is super fine. I like the look of it in my tank but it makes a terrible sandstorm that takes days to clear when you initally set the tank up and clouds the water for hours any time it is disturbed until it gets a bio-film over it. I'd use it again. Make sure it is deeper than your desired final depth because it compacts. I am going to have to move my tank and I'll add 50# because my inital 4.5" is now (16 month later) <4" deep.