PDA

View Full Version : Where to place ballasts

chase33
03-12-2007, 11:27 PM
I have two metal Halide fixtures and two VHO bulbs in my canopy. Is it common to place the ballasts in the canopy? I'm wondering whether or not they will be too heavy. There are a total of three, two for the MH lights and 1 for the VHO's.

Phurst
03-13-2007, 07:38 AM
It's common for flourescent balasts to go in the canopy, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone place MH balasts in the canopy. If they're electronic, you may be able to get away with it, but not if they're magnetic.

lReef lKeeper
03-13-2007, 08:13 AM
my MH ballasts are on the floor next to my tank, and the VHO ballast is on top of the canopy (to keep moisture out of it).

wakbrdfr
03-13-2007, 09:35 AM
I have my ballasts attached to the back side of the stand, I would be hesitant to put them in the canopy with all the heat being generated by your bulbs!

Rob
03-13-2007, 03:19 PM
you want to keep your ballasts out of your canopy. depending on your design they may go on the canopy, on a near by shelf, under the tank, of outside the tank.

one thing to keep in mind is to make sure they are in a place that will be relatively safe from moisture, splashes or floods/overflows. (like outside the tank but on a stand of some kind)

chase33
03-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the resonses. I want to keep them out of the way and don't want them on the side of the stand (or floor). I think I'll attach them to the back of the stand. This way they will be off the floor, out of the way, and away from moisture areas like the sump which is below the tank (in stand).