PDA

View Full Version : finally got the new frag tank up and running

lReef lKeeper
03-09-2007, 12:16 AM
the tank is 8 feet long x 16" deep x 12" tall that is a whopping 87 gallons !! plus the 29 gallon sump, takes it too a massive 116 gallon frag farm. i dont have enough frags to fill it yet, but i will soon enough.

the setup is a mag7 return (through 1/2" PVC), a mag5 powered spray bar, bare bottom, 330w of VHO lighting on half of the tank and 2 x 250w metal halides (ordered them today) on the other half, a homemade skimmer powered by a mag7 with venturi, dual durso standpipes on 1" drains, and various powerheads for water movement.

it has taken me 3 days to get everything done and i JUST got my frags into the tank about an hour ago. here are some pics ...

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/lReef_lKeeper/fragfarm1-1.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/lReef_lKeeper/fragfarm2.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/lReef_lKeeper/fragfarm3.jpg

STL Reefer
03-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Bobby,

I really like this setup. Once I get a bit more experience in reef keeping, I plan on trying out a frag tank similiar to what you have done here.

Good Luck

lReef lKeeper
03-10-2007, 06:43 PM
thanks STL Reefer, and questions just give me a shout. the only thing that i would do differently is use a much bigger pump on the "spray" bar (it actually flows and does not spray). i am looking around for a used mag 9.5 or 12 to maybe do some trading for some frags. i will be fragging my HUGE toadstool in the next couple of weeks (have to get it on video for Rob), and hopefully the frags will go quick enough to get the new pump without spending a lot of my money.

Phurst
03-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Man, what a great tank to use as a frag tank. I'd love to have a frag tank set up one day, but $, space and the wife are putting those plans on hold for the time being. Keep us updated on how everything is working out.

I fragged a toadstool in part with suggestions and advice from folks here. Went pretty smoothly, already traded all my frags of it, and the parent is doing great.

Judging by the lighting, It looks like you have one side for softies and leathers, and one for SPS? In densely packed frag tanks of mixed and healing specimens, does chemical warfare ever pose an issue? Do you just have to change water frequently and run lots of carbon? just curious.

lReef lKeeper
03-10-2007, 11:21 PM
toxins DO get released into the water column, but i run carbon 24/7 (replaced every week) AND do water changes changes every other week, AND run the skimmer pretty wet. so i would say that i get a above average amount of the chemicals out of the water before any damage can be done.

gimmito
03-08-2008, 03:00 AM
Bobby,

Looks great...When are you opening the coral farm ?(LOL)

lReef lKeeper
04-25-2008, 08:46 PM
this tank has been sold ... lol. i will be starting a 200 gallon farm in the very near future. i have the tanks, but i am waiting for a couple of things.

V
04-25-2008, 11:02 PM
what someone made you an offer already..lol

nice,very nice, in a past tense kinda way:unsure: