PDA

View Full Version : Micro Algae Grow in a dry mass pack?

cristos
03-05-2007, 03:01 AM
I would like to ask what king of product can I use for culture the nannocloropsis algae. I use the Micro Algae Grow ( liquid ) from Florida Aqua Farms and I am thinking to change it in order to take it in a dry form. Which product is the best for the nannocloropsis algae ( also am thinking to culture and the Tetraselmis algae)? I saw that it has dry pack with silicate or not and also it has separately in another category the trace elements and others…

I am a little confused… :unsure:

Which is the best to use?

Paintbug
03-05-2007, 12:04 PM
you need the one without silicates. diatoms, and a coulpe of other microalgaes need silicates, not Nanno.

cristos
03-06-2007, 04:00 AM
The Tetraselmis algae needs silicate or not? I am thinking to culture it so I want one fertilizers for those.

Paintbug
03-06-2007, 12:31 PM
as far as i know Tetraselmis doesnt use silicates either.

Rob
03-06-2007, 06:37 PM
i believe that is correct.
however i have not used the dry form or cultured tetraselmis..

you might want to ask in the algagen forums because i know they work with that type of algae
http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/algagen/

aquafarmer
03-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Tetraselmis does not need silicates. I've cultured the Tet from FAF with the dry mass pack nutrients and it works fine. The only thing is you have to mix it with water once you get it and then if you don't use it often enough you are going to have a jug of it sitting around. I purchases some last summer and mixed it up and just got a new tetraselmis and isocrysis disk and just shook the nutrients up to mix it and used it with my two algae cultures. Everything is growing fine.

HTH,

Christine

cristos
03-12-2007, 04:00 AM
Hello Christine. I want to ask you how many days the liquid lasts of the dry mass pack with water.

There is the possibility to split the dry mass pack in order to not add all the quantity in one?

aquafarmer
03-16-2007, 11:21 PM
I guess you could split the pack and not mix it all up right away. I'm not sure how long the dry parts last but I would imagine they would be good for awhile. I've had mine mixed in a 1 gallong containter for a while now, close to a year I think. So far I haven't seen any problems with it and I'm almost out of it because I lent some to a guy at work for his algae cultures. It's definitely still working. It may be more risky to still be using it after this time if you are really worried about contaminants and keeping your cultures pure.

Hmm...just looked at the FAF website and it says you can keep it mixed for 3-4 months...oh well mine's been working ok but I'm getting new stuff soon anyways. It's my co-worker's turn to order so he's getting lizuid f/2 which is fine too.

Paintbug
03-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Hmm...just looked at the FAF website and it says you can keep it mixed for 3-4 months...oh well mine's been working ok but I'm getting new stuff soon anyways. It's my co-worker's turn to order so he's getting lizuid f/2 which is fine too.

i noticed that also last night, and that the liquid form they sell premixed, they say has a 2 year self life. so what is the difference in them mixing it, and buying the dry pack, and mixing it yourself? ;)

aquafarmer
03-17-2007, 02:52 PM
i noticed that also last night, and that the liquid form they sell premixed, they say has a 2 year self life. so what is the difference in them mixing it, and buying the dry pack, and mixing it yourself? ;)

I know I don't quite understand how that works either. I plan to keep using my mixed up nutrients until it's gone and like I said I haven't had any problems with it!

Christine

cristos
03-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Thanks a lot all of you for the information’s.