PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Crab vs. Colt Coral

JeffDubya
02-27-2007, 06:42 PM
I looked in my reef tank today, and my cold coral was looking all stressed out, all of the polyps retracted and the main body had compressed a bit... upon further inspection I discovered one of my new REEF-SAFE emerald crabs picking away at a little part of it!

Not good!

Especially when considering the fact that the reason I added the Emerald Crabs is to assist with some small tufts of hair algae that were growing not a half inch from where that crab was sitting!

So I chased him off.

None of the texts I have show Emerald Crabs to be anything but reef-safe. They are listed as both carnivores and herbivores in the Sprung book, but are not listed as opportunistic eaters.

Now, even a human being will eat stuff we're not supposed to if we get hungry enough, but that's just it, there is an abundant food supply right there that I really want controlled.

Input appreciated!

Phurst
02-27-2007, 06:58 PM
That's ood, as I have never had a problem with any of my emeralds. That being said, I suppose ANY crab could turn out to be a problem. BTW, I have never seen any of my emeralds eat hair algae, only bubble and detritus.

JeffDubya
02-27-2007, 09:06 PM
BTW, I have never seen any of my emeralds eat hair algae, only bubble and detritus.

Frick.

wwest
02-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Actually my emerald crabs tear up my hair algae. I can go into the room after the daylights kick off and they are on the sand bed eating it up. Actually im going threw a outbreak right now and they just about have it under control..

wwest
02-27-2007, 09:38 PM
This might be a stupid question but what color is your emerald?

The reason i have ask is because i have seen and heard of stores selling sally light foots as emeralds and sally's are aggressive twords corals. not sure if that is the case or not but i just wanted to rule it out.. And i have seen some that are not far off from color.

Phurst
02-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Actually my emerald crabs tear up my hair algae. I can go into the room after the daylights kick off and they are on the sand bed eating it up. Actually im going threw a outbreak right now and they just about have it under control..

Maybe I have the oddball emeralds then :p

JeffDubya
02-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Well it's not the greenest emerald that I have seen... but I have two and they physically look exactly the same as far as carapace/claw shape and such. I got it from a reputable shop, but I will get out my books tonight and have a look.

JeffDubya
02-27-2007, 10:26 PM
No, definitely not a sally light foot.

wildeone
02-27-2007, 11:05 PM
My emeralds never touched my HA, but they loved my BA! Trochus snails handled all my HA.

Got a pic of the culprit?

wwest
02-28-2007, 12:21 AM
thats cool, i just wanted to make sure. We had a guy try a drop off a sally that he said the other fish sold as a emerald. Good to see you Duane :)