PDA

View Full Version : Help here... (Bubble Algae)

wakbrdfr
02-21-2007, 02:31 PM
What is the best way to get rid of the bubble algae, without using emerald crabs-due to corals in tank??

NeO
02-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Why not use emarald crabs?? What they will do to your corals? I dont get it!!

I had problems with bubble algae about two years ago and I load my tank with emerald crabs about a dozen, they did a good job with the really small BB algae bud didnt touch the median size, then I got a Red Sea Sailfin Tang (Desjardni) paid $100 for it, he eat most of it then when I notice that lost interest, I got a Tuxedo Urchin and that was it. No more bubble algae in my tank.

My tank is 95% SPS.

Rob
02-21-2007, 04:17 PM
same here, i have an emerald crab in my stony coral dominated (with a few softies here and there).. no problems at all.. i plan on adding a second eventually

Phurst
02-21-2007, 04:45 PM
I have 3 emerald crabs in my 120 and they haven't been a bother to my corals. Mine also only eat the smaller pieces, but I just popped the larger pieces off during water changes with the siphon right over it in case it popped. I haven't seen any in a month or so.

lReef lKeeper
02-21-2007, 06:29 PM
i have 2 emerald crabs in my sps dominated reef with not a single problem too.

Reefbaby
02-22-2007, 02:39 PM
If you don't have the luxury of an emerald crab to do the trick, then you can simply use some old-fashioned tweezers (preferably plastic) and get a good grip at the base of the bubbles, taking care to not make them burst. You can actually pull out quite a bit of these algae bubbles in this way. Try it out!

iglowce
02-22-2007, 02:48 PM
i have 2 emeralds in my 20 gal. and let me tell u wt in 2 days, my bubble filled tank was gone. this was about 3 months ago. i could see the crabs going after every single bubble and tear them apart and eat them.

BUT A WARNING! i should just buy one because now there are no more bubble and the crab hang on the sps and lps and whenever i feed them, the crab would put their claws inside the mouth of the lps and pull the piece of food out. i have to push them away wt my pippette whenever i do feeding. i hope its ok for now.

thats just my take on emerald crabs. hope it helps =]

wakbrdfr
02-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Sounds good, thanks for everyones feed back. sounds like one couldn't hurt, the reason I thought it might was because of my friends tank who had 3 in it with his softies taking a hit, not so worried about the effects on sps.

NeO
02-23-2007, 02:05 AM
Well the thing is, if they don't have want to eat they will go for regular algae and you might see then hang on softies, LPS and SPS because they can find some algae to eat in there...

Rob
02-23-2007, 11:22 AM
yes, i often see mine up in the branches of my corals looking for food.. :)

George
02-23-2007, 11:51 AM
I would add that if you ever want to have clams, don't get an emerald. Like all crabs, they are fairly opportunistic feeders and will go after clams sometimes or scavenge a sick clam, finishing it off in the process.

If you do the bubble removal by hand, I have had good success by working the bubble with my fingers from side to side until it pops off wherever it's attached (if you can't remove the item it's attached to). The point of contact it adheres to is actually very small. I find that works best with the larger bubbles, which is what I concentrate on. Just go slowly and you shouldn't break them.

wakbrdfr
02-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Good to know since clams are a big definite on my list of must haves.

Rob
02-23-2007, 03:06 PM
while the comment on crabs and clams is valid, like most its about keeping them fed, i have 2 clams with an emerald and man other crabs, no problems..

not that you wont have problems, but you need to make sure they are finding the food they need.. again, observation is the key.. :)