PDA

View Full Version : Moving a tank forward.

keyozoxmfc
02-19-2007, 10:33 PM
hello all
when i set up my tank i stupidly set it up a little to close to the wall, and i need to be able to move behind my tank to access the electric stuff. and i have a really hard time getting back there and i was hoping i could move it forward. does anyone know how to do this or have any tips for me? its a 50 gallon tank.

any help on this subject would be great! thanks!

wwest
02-19-2007, 10:42 PM
I would be very Leary of this, at least with everything in it. If you set up some temp bucket and drained at least half the water out with (not all) but a lot of LR you should be able to scoot it. But you have to realize that the tank was made to support downward force with some side force. If you try and move the tank with everything in it I'm afraid you might stress the stand enough to crack it or worse collapse it. IMO i would drain enough stuff out where you could get 1-2 other people to help lift the tank and then move the stand. I know its not the answer you are looking for but i would really hate to hear that your stand collapsed in result of moving it. sorry buddy..

gwen_o_lyn
02-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Empty the tank. I learned this the hard way.

wwest
02-19-2007, 11:04 PM
Is this where i shouldn't ask, care to explain? :)

CarmieJo
02-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Mark, we are having the interior of our house painted and I am afraid that I am going to have to do the same thing. I have enough room to reach around/behind my stand but unless the painter has really long arms I will have to move the tank out from the corner it is in.

gwen_o_lyn
02-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Is this where i shouldn't ask, care to explain? :)

My sump was full and I didn't like it's position so I tried to move it. :doh: So it cracked and the nightmare began. This sump would only go in through the top of the stand without the tank being in position. So we had to bust up the sump into pieces with glass flying everywhere just to get it out. I also threw the heater out in a panic and it burnt the carpet. :o That was one wild night. But now I have a Rubbermaid sump which I do not move, and the carpet is gone.

lReef lKeeper
02-20-2007, 12:30 AM
Mark, i am in the same boat my friend !! the only differance is i have to move a 125 with over 300lbs. of rive rock and close to 75 different corals (mostly frags), but still a lot of corals. my stand is only 1 1/2 off of my wall.

you could always just cut a hole in the back of the stand to get your hands back there, if you dont want to drain it. it would not be a lot of room, but might help.

keyozoxmfc
02-20-2007, 12:58 AM
uhhh is it possible that i could tank out..roughly half maybe a little more and pull it or even light it? or is the rocks too heavy?..wes was it the rocks that you said was going to ruin the stand? ..im am willing to do a lot of work to some extent, but i would really not like to move my rocks because i really like the rock setup

keyozoxmfc
02-20-2007, 01:00 AM
and also if the case is removing all the rocks...then i am going to just completely empty it and drill it / buy a new tank and set up a sump

V
02-20-2007, 05:34 AM
rollable engine hoist is usefull, but then again i have a metal frame that can handle the industrial side of things, wood on the other hand can warp easy under load.
Bite the bullet my friend, & get your parents to by a cheap kiddies pool, load everything up in that, move it to your distance required, then restock.

George
02-20-2007, 03:07 PM
I agree with everyone here most especially if you have a store-bought stand. The typical stands sold with tanks are built for vertical stability and holding power, but have very little horizontal structural force.

Even if you built the stand yourself, you're talking about dragging 400+ pounds across the floor which your parents probably wouldn't be thrilled about. :D

wwest
02-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Its pretty much the weight that would ruin the stand.400+ pound forcing down and then you would be twisting the stand. That a lot of force getting tossed around. if you can drain the tank of everything enough to lift the tank up on one side you should be ok. I would drain it until there is only enough water to cover the sand and then move it. But thats just me being safe.

keyozoxmfc
02-20-2007, 05:47 PM
so that would require moving of my corals...i will have to think this through. but thanks a lot guys

Explosif
02-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Good luck man, Next time put it a little further from the wall!

keyozoxmfc
02-21-2007, 11:53 PM
yeah ..i dont know what happened..i just didnt think it through. i am still deciding whether or not i shoould even attempt it anymore

lanesreef
02-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Great idea for a thread. I have noticed the same problem with my tank. A bit too close on one side to get my hand along the wall for my magnet scraper. I have to have my wife help me with her skinnier hands :)

Just like you mentioned mark, I too may just empty, move, and add a sump.

keyozoxmfc
02-22-2007, 08:38 PM
yeah looks like im not going to move it..MOST LIKELY because if i can set up that above tank sump, then that mooves my HOB skimmer so i can get back there easier. but if anyone still has other experiences of ideas for moving the tank, id still love to hear them

V
02-23-2007, 09:04 AM
how bout moving the wall instead, prob less work involved :shout:

George
02-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Well, there's no law that says your HOB skimmer can be a HOSide skimmer.

keyozoxmfc
02-24-2007, 02:57 AM
uhh not with my acrylic tank...in the back theres not as much of a lip on top so i can hang it...but if i get my sump..i can just use it in sump ...its a coralife skimmer...i wish i could move the wall..too bad theres an elevator behind it T_T

iglowce
02-24-2007, 09:25 PM
i agree.. unless u really MUST move. iwould just keep it the way it is.. i wouldnt risk breaking the tank or stressing the species unless i MUST .... when are u getting your fish mark?

keyozoxmfc
02-24-2007, 10:28 PM
soon soon i just got my q tank so i just need to get the filter established then i will get some