PDA

View Full Version : Feather Duster (new tube) good or bad

cmay
02-10-2007, 06:09 PM
I purchased a feather duster about 2 weeks ago, I placed him near a shady area with moderate water movements, the feather's came out every day, however today I noticed his feather's weren't out all day.

I've just watched him push through the bottom of his tube and has a new tube forming (looks quite sturdy, made from the substrate)

Is this normal or the sign of stress, he looks healthy and his feather are fully extended, I feed my filter feeders on plankton

Thanks for any advice.

iglowce
02-11-2007, 01:13 AM
mine does that once. but it quickly recovers. make sure the flow is not directly at it.. and allows space for it to fully blossom =]

cmay
02-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Thanks Iglowce,,, do you think what happened was due to stress or not happy with his position, I also noticed the other day one of crabs had a little pop at him.

V
02-12-2007, 07:50 AM
Annalid Feather Dusters

http://www.goidt.com/aquarium/images/feather_dusters_white.jpg

Beautiful species of worm, tempermental when paremeters slip for any given reason which can make them retract & shed casings. Lighting intensities need to be consistant also. Cmay that crab could cause it to retract on a more perminate basis if it keeps getting to ventursome. Keep an eye on them & let us know how they react.
As for re building they basicly throw up on themselves to remake the vertical structors, all be it a slimy way to reach new heights they are still a wonderfull edition if you're able to keep them flourishing.

cmay
02-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Annalid Feather Dusters

Beautiful species.

Are those pictures from your tank (cool)

I have little ones growing out of my rock, but none of them are growing a tube (im not sure if this species would)

My crab hasn’t tried attacking my feather duster since, to be fair to the crab I think he was only trying to climb over him but it looked quite stressful.

I also notice the end of the tube looked slightly blocked, do you think this may of caused him to get rid of his tube.

I agree they are wonderful I have seen bright red/yellow and mixed colors, I think they look fantastic and fascinating.

iglowce
02-12-2007, 11:31 PM
i had both the small featherdusters and the hawaii ones. lately they havnt been too happy due to the harrassment of my 2 emerald crabs.. its so sad i wanna look for pieces of LR wt bubble algae so that my crabs can eat hehe!

cmay
02-16-2007, 07:24 PM
i had both the small featherdusters and the hawaii ones. lately they havnt been too happy due to the harrassment of my 2 emerald crabs.. its so sad i wanna look for pieces of LR wt bubble algae so that my crabs can eat hehe!

I wanted to build a little model plastic fence around mine, like the ones you get with model railway trains, but i thought that may be a little over the top :p

gwen_o_lyn
02-22-2007, 12:46 AM
I haven't had much luck with crabs and feather dusters so I quit buying feathers. Feather dusters seem so fragile and can't seem to take the normal stomping around that the crabs do.

Rob
02-22-2007, 11:46 AM
i haven't had many issues with them, i had a brown Hawaiian duster for almost 2 years (with many types of crabs). i believe it was finally lost because if a rock falling on it and not getting moved for a few days

cmay
02-22-2007, 07:08 PM
My feather duster seems to be recovering ok, he's building a new tube and is fully extended most of the time :) He tends to pop half way back in when my 2nd power head turns on (randomly set)

Rob
02-23-2007, 10:58 AM
and just to round off this topic, it is also common that the duster will expel or drop off its crown of feathers. then after a few days will emerge with a new one. so if you see this dont be alarmed.

some say this is a sign of it being stressed, however im not sure im on board with this as the only reason. im sure it is a reason, but i have had mine drop with no obvious signs of stress

cmay
02-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks rob, I now feel happier...