PDA

View Full Version : how to grow clean chaeto

RealChange
02-07-2007, 10:52 PM
wondering what techniques or setup requirements it takes to grow clean thick chaeto.

my attempts to grow chaeto in my refugium always gets dirty and nasty. other types of algaes start growing inbetween the chaeto and usually turns out very ugly looking.

so how do you grow nice clean thick podfilled chaeto.

sump/refugium setup pix would be great.

thanks

wwest
02-07-2007, 11:01 PM
My special secret is 6500k 65 watt power compact single daylight bulb. I also have mind under a intense flow. Not anything like a hurricane but a pretty intense flow. I also wait it down alittle with some rock and let it grow. I have always heard that once it turns white in a fully grown area that its going A sexual so i prune mine when needed which is about once a month. With the way i do mine i get about a softball size every 4-6 weeks.

wwest
02-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Here is one of my earlier images when a buddy of mine Duane (wildeone) gave me some.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n99/beyondthereef/TankPictures/sumpchaeto.jpg

I also have 2 diferent types of chaulepra growing in the same area. That i frag about once a week for a local lady. I think she feeds it to her tangs or something. Not sure :)

iglowce
02-11-2007, 01:32 AM
i have some chaeto bushes in my tank.. but its going away little by little. the only fish i keep is the mandarin.. could the snails and crabs eat them? iono!