PDA

View Full Version : Marine Aquarium Conference of North America

Sloppygolf
09-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Hello,
Love your PodCasts. What a great idea, not sure if anyone else has ever done this in the hobby, but it was the first time I've ever found it. I have listened to most of them and find myself very interested in topics that I was already well aware of, so you must be doing something right. Of course all of us can always learn more, that is for sure.

I went to MACNA in DC two weeks ago, and there were several speakers who of course had a lot of information, but one of the topics was regarding the use of garlic in foods for marine fish, and it's effectiveness against certain diseases. Do you have any experience with this?

I know several of the usual manufacturers sell garlic "enhanced" food now, which means they have gotten on the bandwagon, but it does not necessarily mean it is effective. I also talked to the assistant currator at the Key West Aquarium and she said she had used it once to cure ich on a fish they couldn't catch and treat the usual way. As far as i know, no scientific study has been completed, although Stephen Pro did say he was going to do one next using mollies aclimated to salt water.

Regards,
Mike

Rob
10-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Thank you, this is a great question.
and you mentioned alot of great points regarding the possible effectiveness of using garlic extract, or garlic treated foods.

i will say that i do use garlic extract, and i will discuss the in's and out's (from my perspective) on the next show.

Steven Pro
10-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Here is an article I wrote on garlic to go along with the presentation I did at MACNA, http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/sp/index.php

Rob
10-11-2005, 12:00 PM
well, thank you Steven, for joining our forums, and the show.
i have read through some of this article and i like it so far. thank you for sharing.

i am going to finish reading through it and then try to get it posted into my FAQ section.

from what i have read (which i havent finished yet) the article looks to be from an objective stand point, which i like.

again thank you for sharing.

Steven Pro
10-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Thank you! I am glad you like what you have read so far. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask.

Rob
10-11-2005, 07:36 PM
yes steve, i did enjoy the article, and found it a great source of factual information. I have posted a FAQ article that links to your article

this can be found here
http://www.talkingreef.com/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=7&categories=Medications+and+Treatments

thanks again for writing it and sharing it with us

Sloppygolf
10-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Glad I didn't make any of that stuff up since "Mr Pro" was watching (ok, just kidding). It was a very good article by the way, as was his talk.
It was also nice to hear your input about it on the Podcast Rob.

Thanx
Mike

Steven Pro
10-12-2005, 05:06 PM
I am glad you enjoyed both my MACNA presentation as well as this latest article. When the garlic and mollie experiment is completed and published, I will try to remember to post a link here.

Rob
10-12-2005, 07:05 PM
thank you Steven, for the information, and the offer to keep us updated.
we will be here waiting for updates and results :)

thanks again