PDA

View Full Version : computer fan

iglowce
02-01-2007, 12:36 AM
hi everyone. can someone show me how to connect the computer fan to a reef tank? they have weird electrical outlet. i heard of a power converted but am still not sure how to connect them.

Seahorsedreams
02-01-2007, 12:50 AM
I'll make a couple tonight and post a little thread with pictures. But in the meantime....

Get a 12 volt adapter/power supply.

Cut the end from the adapter.

Split to two wires and remove the casing leaving about an inch or so of exposed wire.

Get the fan and repeat the process.

Lightly twist one wire of the fan with one wire of the adapter... do this with both wires.

Plug it in to see if the fan works.

If not, disconnect the wires and twist them again but switching who was connected to who.

Test again.

I then wrap eletrical tape around each set of exposed wires separately and then cover both bits of tape with some more electrical tape. Done in 5 minutes.

I'm actually going to make a panel on the back of my hood where you plug each fan cord in... like plugging a guitar into an amp. It's gonna be sweet.

Small Fry
02-01-2007, 01:31 AM
to add, if you have the equipment and skills (not much needed :s) SOLDER, SOLDER, SOLDER! Its not crucial or anything, but once in a while, the tape may get wet and unravel, or maybe the wires werent twisted well enough, but it ensures that the wires wont come undone without an intentional tug.

Again, not necesary, but helpful.

iglowce
02-01-2007, 01:32 AM
cant wait to see some pix. im more of a visual learner =]

Seahorsedreams
02-01-2007, 01:36 AM
to add, if you have the equipment and skills (not much needed :s) SOLDER, SOLDER, SOLDER! Its not crucial or anything, but once in a while, the tape may get wet and unravel, or maybe the wires werent twisted well enough, but it ensures that the wires wont come undone without an intentional tug.

Again, not necesary, but helpful.

I need to teach ya the art of the twist. Mine has never had any issues.

cant wait to see some pix. im more of a visual learner =]

I hear ya and am with ya.... looking for the parts. I actually think I photographed it before but I can't seem to find the pics.

Rob
02-01-2007, 12:40 PM
this would make a great little DIY article.. :)

Seahorsedreams
02-01-2007, 12:55 PM
this would make a great little DIY article.. :)

heh... I'm on it.

Seahorsedreams
02-02-2007, 01:09 AM
I can't find the electrical tape but definately will go get some tomorrow. We were going to go get some tonight but me and the man are sitting here with our fingers in vinegar. Darn urchin.

Rob
02-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Renee.. when you do post this, please feel free to post it in a new thread so i can "stick" it then we can put a link to it in this thread

George
02-02-2007, 03:55 PM
This could also be done quite easily with a computer power supply. You'd have to cross the power switch leads, but you'd be able to easily plug in PC case fans and have all kinds of power.

Seahorsedreams
02-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Renee.. when you do post this, please feel free to post it in a new thread so i can "stick" it then we can put a link to it in this thread

Will do. I'm putting the thread together now.

Rob
02-03-2007, 03:53 AM
Thanks Renee, its looking great

and for everyone interested here is the link to the thread
http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/diy-projects/3590-make-no-frills-tank-cooling-fan.html