PDA

View Full Version : im going CRAZY!!!

iglowce
01-31-2007, 01:45 AM
i went home today and one thing strikes me. the tissue of my donated millipora's are breaking off the skeleton. ive been noticing my mimic blenny nipping at them. i got these donated frags about a week ago. everything in the tank is fine. checked the temp on sun nite and everything is fine too. could it be the blenny or is it STN (severe tissue necrosis)? im so frustrated now... i need to take a breath :madmad: :madmad: :madmad:

George
01-31-2007, 03:15 PM
As far as I know, RTN (haven't heard STN before, but fits) should only affect the tissue, not the skeleton. Have you checked pH? I've never heard of acidification problems causing that in a tank.

Possibly, the RTN is happening and the Blenny is breaking off pieces trying to eat the tissue, but not actually doing the killing. When I had RTN in my tank, the affected corals were swarmed with hermits.

V
01-31-2007, 10:03 PM
firstly theres what, 50 species give or take of millipora, which one are we talking about?

secondly, you say a week old, how did you acclimate it>?
whats the light situation like?
whats the flow situation like?
do a check of the coral and surrounding area ~ you notice any bugs or parasitic worms ?
Most of the millipora genus contain 3 different defence mech. So watch for all out assalt if its dieing.

iglowce
02-01-2007, 01:33 AM
havnt seen any hitchhikers. i think it is the coral that's dying. not the blenny fault

Rob
02-01-2007, 12:36 PM
my other question would be is it a millipora or a millepora
as is Millipora sp or acropora millepora

but either way, this happening only a week or so after introducing it could be many things, improper acclimation, disease, RTN, if tis a wild colony such RTN events are even more common. its unlikely that this is the blenny eating it.

on thing is that you may want to try and save what you can, by fragging off a good part, hopefully to stop the RTN from killing the whole colony